RDFL 2017 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally some good signs coming out of Lancefield. One point down to the in-form side of the comp at half time isn't a bad effort for a rebuilding team with half their squad out injured. Riddell were far too good in the second half and credit to them, but Lancefield just didn't have the legs to keep the pressure on with 1 man left on the bench and 3 guys doubling up from the ressies. I think with a few good recruits to bring some depth and selection pressure they could go right back to being a competitive side very quickly.
I love your enthusiasm however I saw a different story when they played Rupo, their reserves looked like a team that wouldn't beat an average superules team. The longer they go without an 18's the closer they are to death.

A few players at Lancefield is not going to make a whole lotta difference, it is depth they need and you usually get that from graduating 18's coming through to senior level.

Sounds grim, however I feel this is closer to the situation.

Finally some good signs coming out of Lancefield. One point down to the in-form side of the comp at half time isn't a bad effort for a rebuilding team with half their squad out injured. Riddell were far too good in the second half and credit to them, but Lancefield just didn't have the legs to keep the pressure on with 1 man left on the bench and 3 guys doubling up from the ressies. I think with a few good recruits to bring some depth and selection pressure they could go right back to being a competitive side very quickly.
This is the problem it's a band aid fix the cold hard facts are small town no under 18s for how many years now and guys doubling up what happens if a half dozen Snrs and reserves leave next year that's 1/4 of your playing list you can't keep paying to top up without volunteers being burnt out what's the fix the league are paid to fix these issues it's time they devolge a plan with long term benefits

Good game between the 2 teams I think will be competing in the last game of the season. Macedon in front but tired with a few big outs. Digger just ran over them with clean play, Will make a cracker when both teams are fully fit and on an even field.

Hang on a second cobber he did not say he thought he was going to die at all stop talking bs. I understand that discussion is going around about the penalty but don't go the bloke on this and his character.
I thought it wasn't common practice for coaches to hot social media. Good on ya for sticking up for your young man. Hope your there for him when you play Bradford next.

Personally I think this is a load of baloney but as the article says the club presidents voted this in. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...alSF&utm_source=HaraldSun&utm_medium=Facebook

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the nominated club representatives at that meeting had to vote in favour for it to proceed. The article generated some discussion and got some comments on Twitter from guys with AFL experience ....

(1.) Thumbs up RDFL on creating a new bunch of horribly under prepared for life kids. The sort that want apologies when they don't get/hear what they want (Scott Cummings)

(2.) Another soft option initiated. Lets accomodate for the mediocre & compromise the best. What is the world coming to. Where is "raise the bar" (Mick McGuane)

Last edited:
Pretty sure the nominated club representatives at that meeting had to vote in favour for it to proceed. The article generated some discussion and got some comments on Twitter from guys with AFL experience ....

(1.) Thumbs up RDFL on creating a new bunch of horribly under prepared for life kids. The sort that want apologies when they don't get/hear what they want.

(2.) Another soft option initiated. Lets accomodate for the mediocre & compromise the best. What is the world coming to. Where is "raise the bar"

Anyone that posts on this site and has something to do with the RDFL, READ the comments section on the Herald sun website about the RDFL changes to the scoring rules etc.

READ THEM and understand what real public opinion and feeling is..................Stop catering to minorities

72 comments and 1 that's agrees with the decision.........................You are so out of touch with reality it is embarrassing, listen to the concensus before it's too late, although judging by scores and results, it already is.

You are 'o' so correct Doona

Last edited:
RDFL what others are saying ?
=
Ridiculous district football league
How many examples of an incompetent league administration do we need. It's embarrassing ... And to think they hide behind club presidents providing feedback. That's not consultation. They want something implemented don't consult thoroughly and then say well club presidents voted for it. Have not spoke to one club in favour of this. Afl goldfields and the rdfl must be held accountable, they would not have done this in their precious bfl..... On top of that stopping goal kickers and best players being published, what does that achieve. Clubs need to band together flick the board and flick the admin. I know it's easy to say when your not involved and I am sure many of these people have contributed in some way in the past but they clearly have no connection to their members to justify this path so must go!

I see the #pointless saga made channel 7s sunrise program this morning and still not getting much community support. This is starting to get embarrassing for the comp now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think this is a load of baloney but as the article says the club presidents voted this in. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...alSF&utm_source=HaraldSun&utm_medium=Facebook

The natives are very restless on this. The end result of this will be twofold. Talented players at clubs on the outer geographical fringe of the league with options of nearby clubs playing in different leagues will go to those clubs. Or those clubs themselves will change to the other league.

I do have to laugh that Macedon are complaining though given this problem was caused by shocking (political) grading. They fought like crazy to stay in the B's even though they won all the flags last year and should clearly be playing in the A's.

The natives are very restless on this. The end result of this will be twofold. Talented players at clubs on the outer geographical fringe of the league with options of nearby clubs playing in different leagues will go to those clubs. Or those clubs themselves will change to the other league.

I do have to laugh that Macedon are complaining though given this problem was caused by shocking (political) grading. They fought like crazy to stay in the B's even though they won all the flags last year and should clearly be playing in the A's.

Agree, some of the clubs are to blame for this fiasco. There are a few clubs around and we all know who they are who have stuffed up our grading system by trying to stay in the lower grades to win flags when they should be going up grades to play a more suitable standard. That actually doesn't help the kids either and doesn't help the club produce top end senior talent in the long run, but hey I guess they can always remember the day they won that C grade flag back in U14s, woohoo!

And by the way all the kids know which grade is A B or C, even if we call it a fancy name like Beatson or Turner and they also know the score too. When my kids played U10s last year they asked me to keep the score (even though we don't keep score) We lost more than we won but that is life. One of the funniest moments of the year was when we lost a close game and the opposition sang their song out on the ground (apparently there is no scoring though). The boys actually used that as motivation for the return leg which we won (hang on I mean we didn't win because there is no scoring but well we knew anyway)

Sport is the greatest life lesson a kid will ever get and it is the best way to prepare them for the REAL WORLD.

I would also question how accurate the data is that says capping scores will keep kids in the game. What university researched that one? and did we ask the kids or the parents?

Agree, some of the clubs are to blame for this fiasco. There are a few clubs around and we all know who they are who have stuffed up our grading system by trying to stay in the lower grades to win flags when they should be going up grades to play a more suitable standard. That actually doesn't help the kids either and doesn't help the club produce top end senior talent in the long run, but hey I guess they can always remember the day they won that C grade flag back in U14s, woohoo!

And by the way all the kids know which grade is A B or C, even if we call it a fancy name like Beatson or Turner and they also know the score too. When my kids played U10s last year they asked me to keep the score (even though we don't keep score) We lost more than we won but that is life. One of the funniest moments of the year was when we lost a close game and the opposition sang their song out on the ground (apparently there is no scoring though). The boys actually used that as motivation for the return leg which we won (hang on I mean we didn't win because there is no scoring but well we knew anyway)

Sport is the greatest life lesson a kid will ever get and it is the best way to prepare them for the REAL WORLD.

I would also question how accurate the data is that says capping scores will keep kids in the game. What university researched that one? and did we ask the kids or the parents?

Even the league have stopped with the Beatson, Turner thing this year. It's just A, B & C. Of course the kids knew which was which. Interestingly, I was listening to 3AW this morning in the car and Michael Carr-Gregg, the adolescent psychologist they have on regularly, was scathing of this and said there is no research that backs the league up on this. He said one of the the biggest problems in adolescents and young adults is they have no resilience skills and decisions like this one is to blame.

Now obviously I'm 100% neutral, and haven't I copped it via SMS today from a few Kilmore folk who knew wasn't for their league switch.

Again thus decision had to rubber stamped by a majority of designated club representatives, not put in place by the league, so perhaps a few need to go back with more clarity as the rank and file parents may not be all over it.

Also, wasn't it meant to be a trial thing based on feedback? I'm sure it'll seriously considered for 2018 - and who knows maybe by a new look RDFL Board should those firing bullets step up and take hold of the reins.

In saying all this, I do not like any if this and hope it never comes into any comp my kids play in. I was shattered recently when the young bloke had a bloody banner for his 50th game, for what? Doing what a kid of 11-12 should be doing .... a community based activity with his friends/peers. Give me 100 or more once he turns 18 and I'd be much prouder.

If losing games of footy are the biggest issues our young folk are gunna face growing up then they'll live a fair life. Unless we are born into dough, then life can be unfair and regardless of the effort we put in the desired outcomes don't always result first go.

Ask all those at a Broadford FC who gave me buggery how it's going? But in some way those who "chose" to do it tough will get some valuable learnings from it.

It ain't the amount of times we got knocked down in life (or sport) that define us, but the amount of times we keep getting up. I have been on both sides of the argument, and yeh my toughest year in footy was a winless 2013 at Kilmore but in amongst that were plenty of proud moments surrounded by mostly limited/inexperienced teenagers who never baulked at anything that was thrown at em.

And yeh, I too found the irony of today's pic/article confusing given Macedon juniors IMO should be playing a standard higher given what I've seen in recent times.

Last edited:
Now obviously I'm 100% neutral, and haven't I copped it via SMS today from a few Kilmore folk who knew wasn't for their league switch.

Again thus decision had to rubber stamped by a majority of designated club representatives, not put in place by the league, so perhaps a few need to go back with more clarity as the rank and file parents may not be all over it.

Also, wasn't it meant to be a trial thing based on feedback? I'm sure it'll seriously considered for 2018 - and who knows maybe by a new look RDFL Board should those firing bullets step up and take hold of the reins.

In saying all this, I do not like any if this and hope it never comes into any comp my kids play in.

If losing games of footy are the biggest issues our young folk are gunna face growing up then they'll live a fair life. Unless we are born into dough, then life can be unfair and regardless of the effort we put in the desired outcomes don't always result first go.

Was shattered recently when the young bloke had a bloody banner for his 50th game, for what? Doing what a kid of 11-12 should be doing .... a community based activity with his friends/peers. Give me 100 or more once he turns 18 and I'd be much prouder.

It ain't the amount of times we got knocked down in life (or sport) that define us, but the amount of times we keep getting up. I have been on both sides of the argument, and yeh my toughest year in footy was a winless 2013 at Kilmore but in amongst that were plenty of proud moments surrounded by mostly limited/inexperienced teenagers who never baulked at anything that was thrown at em.

And yeh, I too found the irony of today's pic/article confusing given Macedon juniors IMO should be playing a standard higher given what I've seen in recent times.
Channel 7 news tonight

Channel 7 news tonight
Just thought I'd pop in to say that I just saw this on 9 News about 5 minutes ago.

A 12 year old talked about how he'd rather they kept the score so that the team could see how much they improved against the opposition over the season, ie losing by 90 points instead of 150.

Such a ridiculous rule.

Channel 7 news tonight

There was a pretty passionate club pres a year or two ago with some great foresight on what needed to be done, couldn't get the support required to make a stance.

Down peninsula way some clubs actually went to the extent of a vote of no confidence towards those running their comp.

Again same arguments and agenda items will continue unless some passionate football people choose to have a crack at it. This RDFL thing u guys and girls have can be something pretty special in a pretty important area of the local footy landscape ..... what you all choose to do with it between now and Xmas will have more influence on the future than I think you all realise.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that I just saw this on 9 News about 5 minutes ago.

A 12 year old talked about how he'd rather they kept the score so that the team could see how much they improved against the opposition over the season, ie losing by 90 points instead of 150.

Such a ridiculous rule.

Parents and junior coaches can influence a few outcomes. Not every week but times of obvious lopsided fixtures.

I got in trouble last year for voicing my disapproval at several things, namely a 6-team "A" competition for our final age group

Admit it was my first year coaching an actual junior (under 16) team but with the support of rival coaches we always chatted and worked in as best we could to keep it competitive.

Times when opposition was undermanned or short we'd drops wings to allow some respite on the bench, Christ I even once or twice enquired about some match ups if I knew a random set of eyes was on hand, meaning we tried to expose skills to the good and also bad as best we could in the hope of learning and developing.

We lost the GF, and by rights probably overshot our ability in getting there but I said to kids/parents afterwards the real show of how junior years should be judged is how many kids return the following year. If we've done our roles correctly the attrition rates remain as per the norm, if it becomes greater then somewhere we've failed a kid, a team, a club, a league.

Put kids in multiple positions, identify match ups to challenge but not belittle kids. Far too many coaches kids get chained to goalsquares or run around Onball. Opportunities bob up to upskill or play rep footy and every kid is a mid who swaps forward or a forward.

Junior Development is the key here, not how many medals, trophies, banners a kid can muster up by 16-17yo because if they continue to drop out coz all of a sudden footy is fair dinkum and they've been let down in key learnings at their junior clubs then the game will have a much bigger problem.

Hang on maybe this is why so many Footballers roll around clubs at the aparrent expense of "local kids" ..... maybe the local kids haven't fully grasped what impacts a summer, a contest, a quarter, a game, a season, resilience etc etc at the oh so important junior or development stage.

Last edited:
There was a pretty passionate club pres a year or two ago with some great foresight on what needed to be done, couldn't get the support required to make a stance.

Down peninsula way some clubs actually went to the extent of a vote of no confidence towards those running their comp.

Again same arguments and agenda items will continue unless some passionate football people choose to have a crack at it. This RDFL thing u guys and girls have can be something pretty special in a pretty important area of the local footy landscape ..... what you all choose to do with it between now and Xmas will have more influence on the future than I think you all realise.
Let's call a spade a spade this is a monumental stuff up and these blokes who run this are paid by clubs parents community money there employed and they haven't delivered a solution they have failed big time so what do we accept let's blame the clubs
The other issue is the do gooders in society s**t if we expose our kids to the real facts of life they may become human
Take up soccer lads there's no mercy rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back