RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We take the same stance as you rgs011. we compete with melton and melton south and we give more back to those who support us than the other two mobs. we dont bother supporting companies who arent interested in us, i believe we have a better product anyway. that was proven at the game against rockbank!

im going to throw this one out there but what do you think the estimates of crowd attendance were over the weekend? i ask this because we had no doubt, a record crowd for our game and it is a credit to both centrals and rockbank fans who turned out! cars around the ground were two deep sometimes four :eek: we estimated about 600-700, sold out of grog four times (i had to make the long trip to restock) canteen ran out of hot food by 3qtr time and many people stayed back afterwards. Honestly I've never had a better day at the footy (even though we lost) because it really felt like a rivalry. one of the players from one of the other clubs in melton said that they will struggle to get the crowd we got for the traditional melton and melton sth rivalry! well done to all at centrals and rockbank!!!!

I t was great to see you had a record crowd 4 your game on the weekend but you do have to realise the 2 other melton teams did not play over the weekend and also your ground is very small so it looks like there is a huge crowd there if the game was played on the main ground mite not have looked as packed,but saying that can only look up for both clubs
ON the down side even no it was a close game the standard of footy was not the great and i by the end of the day the beer was not that cold

I t was great to see you had a record crowd 4 your game on the weekend but you do have to realise the 2 other melton teams did not play over the weekend and also your ground is very small so it looks like there is a huge crowd there if the game was played on the main ground mite not have looked as packed,but saying that can only look up for both clubs
ON the down side even no it was a close game the standard of footy was not the great and i by the end of the day the beer was not that cold

yep, melton and melton sth players came to the ground but it wasn't till around 2ish and there would have been about 100 of them max.

Having Rolling Meadows follow us has been really beneficial. yes financially but for Centrals, just getting there early and watching the kids run around, put their bodies on the line without a care in the world is something we surely need. many of our players rocked up early because of this, encouraged the meadows kids as if they were our own players and we had great feedback from the kids as well as parents. we hope to promote rolling meadows on our website, just waiting for confirmation.

beer was not that cold at the end of the day coz it sat in the back of my car for ten minutes because I had to pick it up from the local pub! sorry about that :thumbsu:

Big game this week Woodend v Macedon both teams dislike one another should be a cracker of a game:eek: My tip Hawks in a nail biter by 4 points:footy::D:D

It will be interesting to see Who will play on Aaron James this week i suggest Sunbury Supporters jump on a bus head up to kilmore sit behind the goals & give him hell

My Early Predictions
Premiers-Sunbury Kangaroos
Runners up- Riddell
League B&F- Aaron James (Kilmore)
Biggest Improver-Kilmore
Goal Kicker- Chris Meacham
Wooden Spoon- Melton
Biggest Slider- Diggers Rest
Most Underated Player-Dean Besanko
Most Overated- Garry Moorcroft
Toughest Player- Joeb Ploog

play It will be interesting to see Who will play on Aaron James this week i suggest Sunbury Supporters jump on a bus head up to kilmore sit behind the goals & give him hell

My Early Predictions
Runners up- Riddell
Biggest Improver-Kilmore
Wooden Spoon- Melton

I'd suggest who will play on Aaron EVERY week will be of interest.
For instance -
WHO can hold him to the lowest amount of goals in a game ???
WHAT amount of goals is considered a win for the defender ???
HOW do they go about curbing his potency ???
IS anyone courageous (stupid) enough to play in the hole in front of him ???

A game in a game really !

Just more interest & excitement in what shapes up as a cracker of a season for the best Comp' in the region ! :thumbsu:

My Early Predictions
Runners up- Riddell
Biggest Improver-Kilmore
Wooden Spoon- Melton

I just don't understand how you can say Moorcroft is overated?

I bet every side will send either their best midfielder or best defender to nullify him. Isn't that the very meaning of being "rated".

I suggest you watch him closley next time you get a chance and see his work rate.

The man is a FREAK!

My Early Predictions
Runners up- Riddell
Biggest Improver-Kilmore
Wooden Spoon- Melton

I just don't understand how you can say Moorcroft is overated?

I bet every side will send either their best midfielder or best defender to nullify him. Isn't that the very meaning of being "rated".

I suggest you watch him closley next time you get a chance and see his work rate.

The man is a FREAK!

Harry!!! Brilliant to have you back my friend... Hopefully you are back to contribute, one of the best contributors this thread ever had!!!

Agreed, there is a couple of interesting little side notes in this one.. Like, if Aaron James doesn't win the league goal kicking he WILL NOT win the Bowen... Unfortunately for Jamesy, anything less that 7 goals wont see him with votes.. Due just to expectation more than anything else...
Moorcroft is certainly not overrated... The fact is, he is a significant contributor to his side, you see paid players sometimes, they will rock up and just go through the motions, but Moorcroft is not one of those, he is a competitor, you can see it when he is out there, he hates to lose and more so, hates not contributing to the team, in fact, it pisses him off.. Lol

For instance -

Just more interest & excitement in what shapes up as a cracker of a season for the best Comp' in the region ! :thumbsu:

So who would you suggest from each side then mate??

Im not sure the last one is relevant, it was the one thing I wish I saw Jamesy do more of, crash a bloke that stood in his way, his strength is the one on one stationary contest, so the man in the hole can become irrelevant, a third man up is a better option...

rockbank v lancefield what chance are the ram's:footy:

Normally I would say nil.. But the Rams were very competitive last year against the Tigers.. Depends on if Kennedy plays and strengthens the Rams, but the Tigers will have several players returning this week that missed last weeks game, Trav Smith, John Baker, Dave House to name just 3, they will be better for last weeks game as well...

For instance -

The Roos will be taking a bus to Kilmore and are sure to give the big man a going over but if his on song they wont have much to say.

Spot on Omni. Who, What and How will be questioned every week. As for the IS part, I know of two guys at Sunbury who've been courageous enough to fill the space in front of Jamesy before but pretty sure neither of them is playing this weekend. No doubt the Roos will have other capable blokes for the job though. Should be a cracker of a game.

The Roos will be taking a bus to Kilmore and are sure to give the big man a going over but if his on song they wont have much to say.

Spot on Omni. Who, What and How will be questioned every week. As for the IS part, I know of two guys at Sunbury who've been courageous enough to fill the space in front of Jamesy before but pretty sure neither of them is playing this weekend. No doubt the Roos will have other capable blokes for the job though. Should be a cracker of a game.

Sunbury has never played against Jamesy???? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally I would say nil.. But the Rams were very competitive last year against the Tigers.. Depends on if Kennedy plays and strengthens the Rams, but the Tigers will have several players returning this week that missed last weeks game, Trav Smith, John Baker, Dave House to name just 3, they will be better for last weeks game as well...

The Rams only went down by 18 points Rd 1 last year and 16 points in Round 12. They were very competitive with most top sides in 2009. They've bolstered their stocks in 2010 and will prove competitive again. I wouldn't count them out for the upset of the round. Those who underestimate the Rams this year do so at their own peril.

These boys were together at another club when they played Jamesy mate

Ok.. Well again though, I am not certain that sitting someone in the hole makes that much of a difference.. The game you are talking about restricted Jamesy to about 27 goals I think.. If you can get someone over the top of the contest you are more likely to have an effect, lets be honest, Jamesy's burst speed on the lead isn't his biggest strength, its that dominating power in a one on one contest... :thumbsu:

Ok.. Well again though, I am not certain that sitting someone in the hole makes that much of a difference.. The game you are talking about restricted Jamesy to about 27 goals I think.. If you can get someone over the top of the contest you are more likely to have an effect, lets be honest, Jamesy's burst speed on the lead isn't his biggest strength, its that dominating power in a one on one contest... :thumbsu:

I'm not saying someone in the hole would/woudn't be more effective. I was just answering Omni's question about whether there actually is anyone courageous/stupid enough to fill the hole.

A man cutting off the lead could prove handy but there is no doubt one over the top would be more effective.

I reckon you're thinking of 23 goals and a different game althogether mate. I wasn't even there is 2006 :D. I'm talking different clubs an entirely different comp.

I'm not saying someone in the hole would/woudn't be more effective. I was just answering Omni's question about whether there actually is anyone courageous/stupid enough to fill the hole.

A man cutting off the lead could prove handy but there is no doubt one over the top would be more effective.

I reckon you're thinking of 23 goals and a different game althogether mate. I wasn't even there is 2006 :D. I'm talking different clubs an entirely different comp.

Oh.. Thats right :D Yeah, I might have exagerrated a little... :p

Tips for this week

Woodsy to get a home win on the board against the macedon cats by 23 points

Ridell to beat central by 80+ too classy

Rockbank to knock off the regining premiers Lanny by 10 points

Romsey to beat Diggers by 60 points on their home ground

Wallan to beat broadford but only by 15 points

Sunbury to beat Kilmore by 10 points in a tough battle

Round 1 was an absolute cracker, great start to the season. Hopefully Round 2 can live up to it!

Round 2 tips:

Macedon by 15 points over Woodend.
Riddell by alot over Centrals.
Wallan by 25 points over Broadford.
Rockbank by 14 points over Lancefield.
Romsey by 22 points over Diggers Rest.
Sunbury by 8 points over Kilmore.

I doubt woodend will knock off the cats woodend are finished lost too many players
Not quite finished, and havent lost that many to be honest. With a few still to come back from injury etc, they may not be contenders just yet but mid season should come into their own a bit more. Will be a great game and great weather tmw at GG.

RDFL 2010 Season - Round 2

Well after a cracking round one where 3 games were decided by less than a kick, we head into Round 2, this week could very well be season defining for some sides already...

Woodend/Hesket FNC Vs Macedon FC
Gilbert Gordon Oval - Woodend
The Cats had a massive win in Round 1 by accounting for Romsey at home. In what has been described as the "Greatest" home and away match in some time in certain circles. A return to the forefront of the Cats lineup for an impressive James Wright and an outstanding performance from young Cat Dan Markworth. The Cats side is laden with talent. Andrew McCarthur, Ash Fleming, Dylan Wright, the list goes on.. The Cats may have been underrated a little by some after a relatively quiet off season, they have burst out of the blocks. The Hawks had a disappointing start to the season losing to the Burra away from home, but they will be keen to bounce back in thier first home game of the season. Joel Goodyear was impressive as was recruit Jesse Waters, while Matt Knox was his usual influencial self, the Hawks will be looking for big games from these players this week. The Hawks looked as though they did have some difficulties covering some of the names they have lost and Coach Brett Cook has a task ahead of himself to get the Hawks up.
Game key: Tempo football - If the Hawks can control and run the game at the tempo they need, they will be able to stifle the Cats, if Macedon gets out and running it will be good bye Woodend/Hesket.
Macedon by 35 pts.

Broadford FNC Vs Wallan FNC
Harley Hammond Reserve - Broadford
Wallan answered the questions asked last week, would they have a similar start to the season to last year when they were done and dusted after one game, and answered emphatically with a win over the highly rated Kilmore. The Magpies midfield were too strong for the Blues, winning the clearances and ensuring that the forward line had the opportunity to match the man at the other end. Midfielder Carl Groth dominated, while the Magpies were able to kick a winning score through Gavin Langbourne. Broadford were disappointing, but it is common knowledge that the "other" Roos are in for a tough season. That didn't help when captain and leading player Damien Barton hurt his ankle early. But surprisingly, the Roos were able to move the ball surprisingly well and the tempo of the game against Sunbury was first rate, the lack of a suitable target up forward was one of the key Broadford issues. With an opponent that also struggles with height this week, can Broadford remain competitive in thier first home game, we all remember that the first time these two sides met last year finished in a classic.
Game key: Taking opportunities. The side that is able to capitilize on going forward will control the game.
Wallan by 65 pts.

Rockbank FSC Vs Lancefield FNC
Ian Cowie Reserve - Rockbank
Well, what a difference an off season can make. The Rams, picking up a couple of strong midfield recruits in the off season and picked up a tight win over Centrals and now people are picking the Rams to knock off the reigning premiers. The Rams were impressive last week, in the first half. Zerafa dominated the midfield with service from Matty Krul in the ruck, opportunity is the key word and the Rams were able to make the most of thiers. Innella remains dangerous up forward, but there is a new level of confidence at Rockbank now and it can only be a positive for the whole competition. Lets not get ahead of ourselves though, the Tigers are reigning premiers, the players missing from last week include Trav Smith, Dave House, John Baker among others, the Tigers will be better for the run last week and be out to show that they are not a spent force just yet. They will need to get more from Ruffell up forward, Mainey will likely get the job there, but having Baker in the side will help Ruffell. The Tigers are still looking to play into some form and I think they have an opportunity here, but they certainly wont have it all thier own way.
Game key: Momentum. The Rams have it, the Tigers need it. If the Tigers can get on top early, momentum thier way will be hard to stop against a side that isn't quite yet used to winning.
Lancefield by 28 points.

Kilmore FNC Vs Sunbury Kangaroos FNC
JJ Clancy Reserve - Kilmore
The Blues go into thier first home game for 2010 looking to bounce back from a disappointing result in Round 1. The Blues were just not able to swing the game back thier way in the 2nd half after dominating the first. Several players within the Blues line up need to lift and realise that they cannot just rely on Aaron James kicking a winning score and Booker and Robbo to win the ball forward.. The Blues will rely on Jock Thompson to win the ball as a leading forward while Justin Collis is important through the midfield rotation, as is young Robert Rowe just out of the Under18's. Dale Keenan must do more as a forward to deflect some attention from James and young ruckman Neil Swann faces a huge challenge this week against Fischendon. The Kangaroos were impressive in thier demolition of Broadford, but this is a much bigger challenge. Chris Meacham looks in awesome form and it helps that the new look Kangaroos midfield force fed him the ball. With no Linton Kemp, the Blues will have to find someone to shut him down. The Kangaroos midfield of Leigh McInerney, McGovern, Powell, L.Johnson and Mitch Strieff were just dominant and hold the key to this game, if the Roos control the middle, James just wont have his opportunity. The Kangaroos depth might be a little tested this week, but there were some powerful performances in the curtain raiser last week and the Roos shouldn't lose much, if anything at all with these guys coming in.
Game key: Winning the Midfield. If Kilmore win the midfield, then James will get opportunities, the same applies the other way. Meacham and James will be depending on supply to kick a winning score.
Sunbury Kangaroos by 40 pts

Riddell FNC Vs Melton Centrals FNC
Riddells Creek Reserve - Riddell
The Bombers kick started the 2010 season with a thumping statement against the reigning premiers, they were led superbly by the recruits, the signing of Matt Sammut may have gone under the radar a little, but on the weekend he proved what a bonus he will be to the Bomber line up. Sammut, Climas and Liddell were great for the Bombers, while Baird and Allen supplied the goals - All recruits from last year. Glen Robertson continued to supply the service in the ruck that he has always given, pure effort. Centrals struggled early against the Rams but settled after half time to almost run over the top of thier opponents. The problem I see for Centrals is that it was the same names doing the job. Josh Armstrong, Tim Lyon, Tim O'Brien and Jono O'Brien were Centrals best, they need more from the recruits if they are going to be competitive, otherwise they could end up being in only one contest this year, the battle for the wooden spoon. Hopefully Brian Wheelahan can remain injury free in 2010, when on song he can be one of the premier ball winners in the competition. Riddell still have a point to prove, they want to bring back the "Aura".
Game key: Defensive pressure. Unfortunately for Centrals, the only way I can see them even getting close to the Bombers is by turning this into an ugly arm wrestle.
Riddell by 90 pts

Romsey FNC Vs Diggers Rest FNC
Romsey Park - Romsey
Last years runner up would be disappointed with a first up loss to the Cats and will seek retribution against a fired up Burra. The Redbacks are certainly one of the favorites for the 2010 flag with a strong list, they will be determined not to fall off the pace with a second up loss here. Cam Dawson continued his rise as a key player in the competition last week in a match up with Tim Dettman, both players having a massive influence on the game. For the first time I can remember, Moorcroft was not even included in the Redbacks best, Ash McNaughton was named as the Redbacks best. The Burra had to fight hard for a Round 1 win, but it was the key reliable players that once again stood up when the game needed to be won. Cole Laurie, Shaun Sims and Steve Ruane all played a major part in taking the game away from the Hawks, while Jeff Heritage racked up plenty of the ball. The Burra are still looking for that next generation to step up and help out. Craig Thompson will play a key role across half back this week for the Burra. The question is, do the Burra have enough to cover everyone in the Redbacks side that can cause headaches, possibly not..
Game key: The standouts. The balance of the game will rely on the Guns, Moorcroft, Dawson and Green for the Redbacks, Sims, Ruane and Laurie for the Burra.
Romsey by 55 pts.

Re: RDFL 2010 Season - Round 2

Kilmore FNC Vs Sunbury Kangaroos FNC
JJ Clancy Reserve - Kilmore
The Blues go into thier first home game for 2010 looking to bounce back from a disappointing result in Round 1. The Blues were just not able to swing the game back thier way in the 2nd half after dominating the first. Several players within the Blues line up need to lift and realise that they cannot just rely on Aaron James kicking a winning score and Booker and Robbo to win the ball forward.. The Blues will rely on Jock Thompson to win the ball as a leading forward while Justin Collis is important through the midfield rotation, as is young Robert Rowe just out of the Under18's. Dale Keenan must do more as a forward to deflect some attention from James and young ruckman Neil Swann faces a huge challenge this week against Fischendon. The Kangaroos were impressive in thier demolition of Broadford, but this is a much bigger challenge. Chris Meacham looks in awesome form and it helps that the new look Kangaroos midfield force fed him the ball. With no Linton Kemp, the Blues will have to find someone to shut him down. The Kangaroos midfield of Leigh McInerney, McGovern, Powell, L.Johnson and Mitch Strieff were just dominant and hold the key to this game, if the Roos control the middle, James just wont have his opportunity. The Kangaroos depth might be a little tested this week, but there were some powerful performances in the curtain raiser last week and the Roos shouldn't lose much, if anything at all with these guys coming in.
Game key: Winning the Midfield. If Kilmore win the midfield, then James will get opportunities, the same applies the other way. Meacham and James will be depending on supply to kick a winning score.
Sunbury Kangaroos by 40 pts

Pretty sure he snatched it last week at Wallan and took his jumper off ???? Maybe rgs011 or one of the Kilmore lads can confirm???

Re: RDFL 2010 Season - Round 2

Pretty sure he snatched it last week at Wallan and took his jumper off ???? Maybe rgs011 or one of the Kilmore lads can confirm???

What about the big fella whittmar, he didn't play last week, is he injured or still getting over a pre season dummy spit.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back