Re-do the 2023 draft (Rolling edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

You listing DGB is quite interesting, I’d like to hear why you believe he’s a “bust”. But again it’s my opinion it is a poor term and is baseless a lot of the time with casual fans.
I feel like Hawthorn have been crying out for Key backs and Grainger Barass is that, or at least was recruited to be that. And Sicily has been forced to become more accountable this year due to the shortage. You've taken Ethan Phillips to address the issue that Granger-Barass was recruited to do. DGB looked great in his first couple of games and hasn't produced since. He's been developing for some time in the vfl.

He's definitely in the bust category unless he pulls his finger out.

I feel like Hawthorn have been crying out for Key backs and Grainger Barass is that, or at least was recruited to be that. And Sicily has been forced to become more accountable this year due to the shortage. You've taken Ethan Phillips to address the issue that Granger-Barass was recruited to do. DGB looked great in his first couple of games and hasn't produced since. He's been developing for some time in the vfl.

Bust would mean they’re completely done. If you’re gonna use it at all.

We took Ethan Phillips to replace Blanck who was injured, as was DGB

Get your facts right

watson has played 5 games. he had an ankle injury. and coming back from it he still managed 2 goals 1 and good pressure.
so you're judging Watson on 5 games when you fellow Hawthorn supporters said we should'n't judge young players their first year. So which is it?

so you're judging Watson on 5 games when you fellow Hawthorn supporters said we should'n't judge young players their first year. So which is it?
you said you are judging players on 9 games. i am informing you that watson hasnt played 9 games yet, only 5.

But if DGB was the key position you thought he was going to be then you probably wouldn't have even drafted Blanck...?
That wasn’t what you said

Different defender types anyway

You genuine forget each point you argue

When proven wrong, you just make some other shit up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

true but they were picks 44 and 56 respectively. Grainger-barass was pick 6 and recruited to be your Steven May for the next 15 years.
No he wasn't

Nothing about DGB's profile screamed "Steven May"

Noone drafted DGB as a Steven May type

Thats the only comparison ever made between Steven May and DGB

If anyone he would be a Lever type

true but they were picks 44 and 56 respectively. Grainger-barass was pick 6 and recruited to be your Steven May for the next 15 years.

The two players DGB modelled his game on were James Sicily and Dylan Grimes.

We recruited him because he was the best available talent at our selection, and North selecting Phillips at pick 3 threw a massive curve ball which changed the draft order.

It was reported pre-draft that Sydney were massive on DGB because they didn't expect Logan MacDonald to be available.

I don't begrudge any sides on their 2020 drafting outcomes. Was impossible to get a really solid read on developing talent with the majority of boys playing no footy that season.

In the end we lucked out with Seamus Mitchell at pick 29 who looks to be a long term player with some real weapons.

I have a top 10 that I'd like to present as an alternative to the one danster168 suggested:

1. Harley Reid
2. Colby McKercher
3. Jed Walter
4. Zane Duursma
5. Nick Watson
6. Ryley Sanders
7. Caleb Windsor
8. Daniel Curtin
9. Ethan Read
10 . Nate Caddy

I have a top 10 that I'd like to present as an alternative to the one danster168 suggested:

1. Harley Reid
2. Colby McKercher
3. Jed Walter
4. Zane Duursma
5. Nick Watson
6. Ryley Sanders
7. Caleb Windsor
8. Daniel Curtin
9. Ethan Read
10 . Nate Caddy
That's different to yiur top 10 pre draft, unless you coincidentally agree with the exact order of all of the 10 clubs.

That's different to yiur top 10 pre draft, unless you coincidentally agree with the exact order of all of the 10 clubs.
It was a joke mate.

I don't think its sensible to second guess the choices made by the clubs when we've barely got any data to work off and many of the kids are types that will take longer to develop.

I also don't think its at all constructive to create a thread which is guaranteed to stir people up, and then when you get push back start counter punching and escalating the hostility.

Some people just live for the drama I guess.

It was a joke mate.

I don't think its sensible to second guess the choices made by the clubs when we've barely got any data to work off and many of the kids are types that will take longer to develop.

I also don't think its at all constructive to create a thread which is guaranteed to stir people up, and then when you get push back start counter punching and escalating the hostility.

Some people just live for the drama I guess.
I'm just used to the NBA culture. They don't hold back on their criticism of youngsters as soon as they're drafted and why should we? because they're 18 year olds? I don't subscribe to this.

I'm just used to the NBA culture. They don't hold back on their criticism of youngsters as soon as they're drafted and why should we? because they're 18 year olds? I don't subscribe to this.
I'm also a huge NBA fan. They draft kids at 19 and not 18. Also, the Stephen A Smith & Skip Bayless style of obnoxious hyper critical hot take merchants are in my opinion the worst part of US spots culture. I think we can aim to be better than that.

But that's not even really my point. I just think its foolish to be making grand statements about a kids development potential based on such a tiny sample size. I can name heaps of kids that started slowly in their first season and went on to become stars of the comp.

I'm also a huge NBA fan. They draft kids at 19 and not 18. Also, the Stephen A Smith & Skip Bayless style of obnoxious hyper critical hot take merchants are in my opinion the worst part of US spots culture. I think we can aim to be better than that.

But that's not even really my point. I just think its foolish to be making grand statements about a kids development potential based on such a tiny sample size. I can name heaps of kids that started slowly in their first season and went on to become stars of the comp.
Of course there's a heap of kids that started slowly that went on to become stars. but it's a rolling list. for this very reason. The players that have popped deserve to go up higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back