Reasons we will beat Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
Now everyone in the Media and the general public gives us no chance to beat the Hawks, but as Leigh Matthews and Arnie said before him "If it bleeds, we can kill it", so here are my reason's we will beat the Hawks, feel free to criticize or add your own.

1. The Pressures off: I believe strongly that the pressure of having two home finals got to us, we looked nervous, unassured and timid because we were expected to win, this time though we have nothing to lose, I say we ****ing go for it, and play the game on our bloody terms, who cares if it doesn't come off? At least we tried, all the pressure is on them to win.

2. Sam Jacobs: We have an All Australian caliber ruckmen in our team, Hawthorn do not, I believe big sauce will give our mids first use of the ball a big percentage of the time, Its crucial that we dominate the centre clearances, and Big Sauces ability to palm it down the throat of Thommo, Danger and Rory is going to be key.

3. Tex: Let's put it out there, Ryan Shoenmakers is not much chop, an out of form Cloke kicked 5 on him, god knows what Tex will do... It's key that we make Gibson accountable and not let him chop out Tex, play Hendo on Gibson and tell Hendo to get dangerous, if Gibson gets in Tex's space then tell the boys to look to Hendo, One on One Tex cant be beaten, He will absolutely monster Shoey and kick 5 or 6....

So lets have at it, Im ****ing pumped!!! Ill be there supporting the boys and think well get a win, who else is with me????

They are as capable of playing shit footy as a lot of others.

And we playing very poorly last time we met... A lot of improvement to be had!

People shouldn't make threads like this! Did you learn nothing from freo?

Pffttt..... What's with all the negativity around this place???? Its not a "Well smack Hawthorn by 10 goals and then win the GF in a canter thread" :rolleyes: Its a "Reasons why we can beat Hawthorn" thread, why not add some positivity around here and add some reasons why we can win!!!! Get amongst it Jenny!!!!!

Jenny, you know as well as most of us that it doesnt make any difference what we all say about the game.

Having said that, a thread title of "Reasons we CAN beat Hawthorn" would have been a little less inflammatory.

I like the fact we are heavy underdogs and we are playing in a final at the MCG, just our 2nd MCG final in 10 years. I am expecting a strong performance this weekend. It won't be easy but who knows.

I'm pretty sure the Hawks confidence/arrogance far outweighs ours.

need to start well, hawks have had some very average first halfs of footy this year. even port took it up to them.

everything will need to go right for us. but they are beatable

I'm pretty sure the Hawks confidence/arrogance far outweighs ours.

According to them they are a monty for the flag, our 'Soft Draw' has us no better than an 8-12 team, well **** them and there mummy boy Gunston I say, we may well not win, but we wont go down without a fight, GO YOU CROWS!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason for us to come out on top is if a miracle happens.
I believe in miracles... our slogan from 1999.

Speaking of 1999, that's our big chance. The Bombers went in unbackable favourites, dreaming if the following week's grand final vs North. Tripped themselves up.

3. Tex: Let's put it out there, Ryan Shoenmakers is not much chop, an out of form Cloke kicked 5 on him, god knows what Tex will do... It's key that we make Gibson accountable and not let him chop out Tex, play Hendo on Gibson and tell Hendo to get dangerous, if Gibson gets in Tex's space then tell the boys to look to Hendo, One on One Tex cant be beaten, He will absolutely monster Shoey and kick 5 or 6....

Yeah, but we're missing Talia, our CHB... Franklin's a CHF. He'll do just as much damage on whoever he gets as Tex will on Schoey.

On a positive note, I reckon we have a good chance of winning it if at least two of Danger/Thommo/Rory and both Tex and Rutten have outstanding games.

They don't do a heavy tag

Shiels will likely follow someone around but won't scrag like a Crowley does. Danger, Thommo, Sloane must all have blinders

VB must do a lock down role on a Mitchell or a Sewell. Wright to the other, but he can play a bit more attacking and try to hurt them the other way too

Gibson must not be allowed to go third man up. The Hawks are the best at it in the league and its something we have struggled with for the past 2 weeks. What Sando has planned for this, could decide whether we are a chance or not

Tex needs a big one and Tip needs to get dangerous. Make them worry about him plunking some marks and then get Tex going like a cut snake

It'll be hard, but you have to believe. Have to.

Now everyone in the Media and the general public gives us no chance to beat the Hawks, but as Leigh Matthews and Arnie said before him "If it bleeds, we can kill it", so here are my reason's we will beat the Hawks, feel free to criticize or add your own.

1. The Pressures off: I believe strongly that the pressure of having two home finals got to us, we looked nervous, unassured and timid because we were expected to win, this time though we have nothing to lose, I say we ******* go for it, and play the game on our bloody terms, who cares if it doesn't come off? At least we tried, all the pressure is on them to win.

2. Sam Jacobs: We have an All Australian caliber ruckmen in our team, Hawthorn do not, I believe big sauce will give our mids first use of the ball a big percentage of the time, Its crucial that we dominate the centre clearances, and Big Sauces ability to palm it down the throat of Thommo, Danger and Rory is going to be key.

So lets have at it, Im ******* pumped!!! Ill be there supporting the boys and think well get a win, who else is with me????

Good thread - I like it.

Add to your list:

4. We are well and truly in 'finals mode' now. The Sydney game and the first part of the Freo game we weren't in the zone, but the last 2 and half quarters on Friday night the shift in our intensity was very noticeable. If we start in that vein next Saturday and maintain it for 4 quarters, who knows?

Yeah, but we're missing Talia, our CHB... Franklin's a CHF. He'll do just as much damage on whoever he gets as Tex will on Schoey.

On a positive note, I reckon we have a good chance of winning it if at least two of Danger/Thommo/Rory and both Tex and Rutten have outstanding games.
I think Tippet is the key. if he attacks the ball coming in then Callinan will be brought into the game. He showed patches of good play against freo so may be on the way back.

I think the best way to stop Buddy and the Hawks forwards is to keep the ball in our half. Tippet can help by providing forward pressure and opportunities for our crumbers. But he also needs to allow Tex space. He is the in form forward and must be allowed to score freely so Tipps needs to draw the defenders and provide a second target. He doesn't need to mark the ball just bring it to ground and let Callinan/Porps do the work.
But whatever happens Tippet must compete to keep the Hawks defense honest otherwise Tex will have his hands full.

Everyone has seen Hawthorn at their best so they are a well known quantity. Can't say the same about Adelaide too often this year but a game where both forwards fire would be a nightmare for any opposition. Cue Kurt Tippet.

The pressure is off. No-one expects us to win. Hopefully this could play into our hands.

Hawthorn might be good but they are beatable. We should be reviewing the Richmond game and the 1st Sydney game this week to see how we can break them down.

All I really want is for us to give it everything, the rest will sort itself out. If we still come up short so be it, at least we can hold our heads up high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back