Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Guys,

Somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread and it went unnoticed over the last couple of months. I've just completed a sweep of the last three or so pages and have updated AF where applicable.

Apologies for not getting them up sooner.

Sorry to say that 1969 Richmond premiership backman Colin Beard has died suddenly aged 77. There will be a death notice in the next day or so. He was based in Perth.

He had to step out of football for 18 months before he could play with Richmond. He played 33 games for the Tigers from 1969-1971. Earlier he was full-back at South Fremantle.
He was at our 50th anniversary premiership reunion this year, and it was only in June that we did an interview over the phone about his memories of Tigerland

Sorry to say that 1969 Richmond premiership backman Colin Beard has died suddenly aged 77. There will be a death notice in the next day or so. He was based in Perth.

He had to step out of football for 18 months before he could play with Richmond. He played 33 games for the Tigers from 1969-1971. Earlier he was full-back at South Fremantle.
He was at our 50th anniversary premiership reunion this year, and it was only in June that we did an interview over the phone about his memories of Tigerland

Great chat Rhett. I found his birth notice too, as he said he was born in Melbourne.
I think he only had to sit out for 12 months (would be good to find the permit/transfer details), but as he said he pulled his hamstring and couldn't get it treated correctly until mid year. On your tigerlandarchive page you have him playing for Guballing - it's actually Cuballing.
RIP

Great chat Rhett. I found his birth notice too, as he said he was born in Melbourne.
I think he only had to sit out for 12 months (would be good to find the permit/transfer details), but as he said he pulled his hamstring and couldn't get it treated correctly until mid year. On your tigerlandarchive page you have him playing for Guballing - it's actually Cuballing.
RIP

1969 - Early to mid-season refs from The Age archive
Here is one story about Beard's attempted move to Richmond

and as clearance comes ever closer

haven't found specific announcement of clearance being approved, but clearly through by reference in this item published a couple of weeks later

RIP

I've updated the spelling. Thanks.

Colin Beard played for Armadale in the South Suburban FA in the 1950's before going to South Fremantle. The team list is from the 1956 B Grade Grand Final. Colin wore number 3. Don Pyke's father Frank also played for Armadale and wore number 5.

Attachments

• 1956 B Grade Grand Final.JPG
    1956 B Grade Grand Final.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 135
Whilst not an AFL player, but to pay tribute to a great SA football person.

Bob Oatey.

Robert Reginald Oatey OAM played for Norwood and Sturt and was inducted in the SA Football Hall Of Fame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bob Oatey.

Robert Reginald Oatey OAM played for Norwood and Sturt and was inducted in the SA Football Hall Of Fame.
Bob struggled for years as Son Of.

But he escaped from that shadow and made a good career for himself

Vale

Collingwood Premiership player and long-term administrator Peter Lucas has died: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-09-19/vale-peter-lucas-19292019

Peter Lucas, 1958 Premiership player and long-serving general manager at Collingwood, passed away in Brisbane earlier this week. He was 89.

Peter played 177 games for the Magpies between 1949-59. He twice finished runner-up in the Copeland, each time by a solitary vote. Part of the fabled half-back line of Lucas-Kingston-Tuck, Peter was part of the 1958 Premiership team. He would also have played in the 1953 triumph but broke his collarbone in the second semi-final two weeks earlier.

Peter returned to Victoria Park in the mid-1960s after his playing career ended and spent two separate terms as the club's general manager. In all he served the club for more than 30 years in both on- and off-field roles.

Last edited:

Bob Oatey.

Oatey's DOB is only listed as 1942. Anyone able to find any more info? I've looked in the normal places and asked on Twitter, but nothing yet. May have been a bit scandalous, as Jack only got married just before Christmas in 1941...

Loving people’s contribution to this thread.

Treated with great respect of our past heroes.

Robert Hickman , RFC 1961- 1964. Later became a 3x premiership player for Latrobe in Tassie.

Looks like he died 2 Oct 2019

Can our Wikipedia expert update the bio please

Remove this Banner Ad

Back