Research Recent Deaths

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes that's right.

Although he was Saints player, I really admired him as he a very skilled player and he was really mobile for a big man and IIRC
he had his career cut short in Vic. with a serious knee injury.

John McIntosh was a very good ruckman, mentored Graham Moss.

Interesting - I had him as the oldest living Hawk remaining... any idea who's supposed to be the oldest living Hawk?
Checking this, it has two people born before him (both in 1914) and without a DOD (Alf Neeson and Max Smethurst). The Wikipedia page for Alf Neeson doesn't have a DOD (though it has to be highly likely he isn't still going), while for Max Smethurst it does have one:
1634814772668.png

Especially given this article on Ken Feltscheer turning 100 in 2015 it doesn't seem likely they would have anyone thought to be still living and older than Kevin Hevey.

This was in the Football Record back in 2010:
1634816267740.png

Last edited:
Yes, from memory Alf Neeson has quite a few posts in the Missing DOB or DOD thread dedicate to him - I think he even might have had a couple of families on the go at once or something? I'll have to look it up.

Thanks for the confirmation guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond's Dave Cuzens has died.
Very nice article. Are you planning a similar article for Ray Allsopp? Or will the AFL website write it, given his work with VicKick/Auskick? Or even add his DoD to TigerlandArchive?

Will the Hawks website write one for Hevey?

Really can't update anything on Wikipedia until we it is published elsewhere (not just here).

Very nice article. Are you planning a similar article for Ray Allsopp? Or will the AFL website write it, given his work with VicKick/Auskick? Or even add his DoD to TigerlandArchive?

Really can't update anything on Wikipedia until we it is published elsewhere (not just here).
1635063847468.png

Last edited:
Interesting! This is in the Army records (there's no "paperwork" with it, but I'm not sure why he'd change his DOB by just a few days in this case!):
View attachment 1267189
It does seem pretty likely the AFL records aren't correct!

The Hawks had the same DOB a few years back: https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/720858/old-hawthorn-families-visit-museum
View attachment 1267199
View attachment 1267198
Just checked on Ancestry. At least one tree uses 30 April 1923 and 16 Oct 2021 as lifespan dates.
We were advised a while back now that the AFL had a good connection in Vic BDMs office so would be worthwhile asking there for his DOB to be checked.

Allsopp obit should drop on RFC website in next 24 hours. Was holding off as per family request

Former Collingwood player John Murton died recently.
1635464123001.png

1635465622833.png
The AFL have decided to change his DOB to 21/06/1942. Collingwood Forever have done the same:
1635475688080.png
We believe he is the father of Phil Murton, the former Hawthorn player (who also played Reserves for Collingwood), though I don't think the AFL have that in their records:
1635475900147.png

SA footy legend Russell Ebert passes away.

South Australian football legend Russell Ebert has died at the age of 72 after a battle with leukemia.
Ebert, who was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in December last year, passed away at home on Friday surrounded by family.

The former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne midfielder is considered one of the greatest footballer's South Australia has ever produced.
He played 392 games and won three premierships for Port Adelaide in the SANFL.

Ebert was also a four-time Magarey Medallist as the SANFL's best and fairest player.
He played one season for North Melbourne in 1979, helping the VFL club reach the preliminary final.
Just two weeks ago Ebert was elevated to legend status in the South Australian Sport Hall of Fame.
"I'm uncomfortable being elevated above others, but I honestly believe this is about the contribution of my family, the club and community that have contributed along the way," Ebert said at the time.
"These types of awards are for everyone no matter what small or large part they have played and so I thank everyone for their contribution to my journey and in this acknowledgement.
"They all deserve a piece of the acknowledgement for themselves."
Ebert is the father of former Port forward Brett Ebert, and the uncle of former West Coast and Port midfielder Brad Ebert.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan paid tribute to Ebert.
"As a young fan of the game in Adelaide, even when watching him as an opposition player, you couldn't help but admire his high marking, his one-touch ball-gathering, his brilliant attacking handball and his exceptional kicking skills on both sides of his body, as he was taking your side apart," McLachlan said.
"All while being an incredibly fair player who relied on his skills while being strong and brave.
"The child in me will always admire the great footballer but the adult that I am is in awe of what Russell Ebert was as a man, and his loss after bravely confronting his illness is devastating for his family, for his club, his many fans and for the state of South Australia, where he has given so much.
"He was everything you would hope to be in a man, and perhaps the best of all of us."

RUSSELL EBERT CAREER RECORD

392 games for Port Adelaide, 1968-78 and 1980-85, 294 goals
25 games for North Melbourne, 1979, 15 goals
29 games for South Australia
116 games as coach of Port Adelaide, 1983-87
64 games as coach of Woodville, 1988-90
3 games as coach of South Australia, 1996-98
SANFL Premierships: 1977, 1980, 1981
Magarey Medal winner: 1971, 1974, 1976, 1980
Port Adelaide best and fairest: 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1981
Port Adelaide captain: 1974-78 and 1983-85
Australian Football Hall of Fame (inaugural 1996 Inductee)
South Australian Football Hall of Fame (inaugural 2002 inductee)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back