Recruiting

Remove this Banner Ad

phatandphreaky said:
Would you personally be willing to give up Harding, and if so, what type of deal would you need?

Personally, I wouldn't. Unless Stibbard has hidden a Pickett somewhere and plans to pick him up with a 3rd rounder that Jesse Smith prohibits us from using, I can't the see any real "win" situation.

If I had to, I would go for a KP defender that you don't need due to Harley and that weird FB bloke you have. Dunno who, but that would be my option.

NorthBhoy said:
If I had to, I would go for a KP defender that you don't need due to Harley and that weird FB bloke you have. Dunno who, but that would be my option.

We have absolutely no key defender depth outside those two.

The only tall defenders on the senior list are Daniel Foster (who is a great talent, but i maintain is a wingman. Bit of a John Baird type) and young Matthew Spencer, in his first season.

Matty Egan is our best VFL defender, and isn't even on the senior or rookie list.

phatandphreaky said:
We have absolutely no key defender depth outside those two.

The only tall defenders on the senior list are Daniel Foster (who is a great talent, but i maintain is a wingman. Bit of a John Baird type) and young Matthew Spencer, in his first season.

Matty Egan is our best VFL defender, and isn't even on the senior or rookie list.

Pfftt.

Bloody Geelong.

Pretty sure I played footy with Matt Egan. Where is he from?

phatandphreaky said:
At the minute we're forced to play Chappy and Ablett close to goal, simply because we don't have any other small forwards.

The intention all along has been to make Chappy and Ablett goalkicking midfielders, and there is only so long you can keep someone of Ablett's quality in the forward line.

Turtle as a permanent forward, would allow for one of Ablett/Chapman to be on the ball at all times, a luxury we don't have now.

Personally I'd rather see us rotate our goalkicking midfielders as our small forwards (Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Byrnes etc.) as opposed to having a permanant small forward guarding the pockets.

It is almost a fact of footballing life that small forwards or crumbers, whatever they are known as, will be among the most inconsistent players in a side. One week they can split the game open and dominate against the opposition, the next week they'll have a shocker (eg Farmer, Medhurst, Harding, and now even Milne/Guerra). There are of course the very few minority who can put forward a solid game and be a contributer to a certain consistent extent (eg Matera), but I daresay I'd struggle to compile a list of more than 10 of such players.

On the other hand, if we can rotate a group of midfielders who have the ability to go forward ala Chapman and Ablett, I believe we can decrease the probability inconsistency coming from that small forward player/position, as well as still generating that certain number of goals we can get from our small forward.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not totally against full time crumbers, in fact I wouldn't mind having a 50-goal-a-season player like Matera, Milne or Brown (back in his WB days) operating in our forward line, but I also believe we can still get as good a contribution from a group of rotating small forwards/midfielders.

NorthBhoy said:
I am no Geelong junkie (come on, it's Geelong ;) ), but when you have GoJu, Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Steve Johnson, Byrnes etc etc, the problem aint huge. Just rotate them through both. Hell, you could raffle the possies at training.

A major issue with our midfielders has been a lack of goals. Admittedly that has stemmed from Thompson's, gameplan, but the fact remains that none of Ling, Corey, Kelly, Bartel or Enright average even close to half a goal a game.

In fact, most only kick a goal every 3 weeks or so.

Chapman, Ablett and Dog Johnson contribute 5.5 goals a week between them, if we moved any of them into the midfield, we wouldn't have the goal kicking ability needed to win games (especially with Kant Kicksley barely kicking at 50%).

NorthBhoy said:
From our list, Jeremy Clayton could be an option. He is a freak, easily the best player in the VFL. Milne dimentions, tough as all hell, best mark for a midget in the history of the game, great kick and smart. Off field problems mean he is not in Laidley's good books, but bloody hell he can play.

Oh mate, you don't need to tell me about Jez. Just ask Petrie Dish or Hilly about my infatuation with Jez.

I have actually gone out of my way to go watch Port games to see him play. Absolutely adore the bloke, and would love him at Geelong.

NorthBhoy said:
The key has to be KP forwards. Graham and Kingsley do a job, but you can't win a flag with these two up front. You need two IMO. When you can float Graham and have Kent as the third tall, then you have game on.

Oh of course, but whilst looking for that key forward (some quality in the VFL, but still developing) we need an avenue to goal, and at the minute, that is through the smaller blokes along with the sheer freakishness of Dog Johnson.

Darky said:
4. Bradley Fisher (Carlton) - too short for a KPP, but great hands and good skills. Should be the next Brad Green or Tony Hall, but won't solve genuine KPP problems.

Darky mate, which Brad Fisher have you been accustomed to? :confused:

Agreed that he has wonderful hands, but his kicking is rather horrid on most occasions I've seen him. Fisher's skills aren't exactly flash, let alone worthy of comparison to a player such as Green.

GeeCat said:
Personally I'd rather see us rotate our goalkicking midfielders as our small forwards (Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Byrnes etc.) as opposed to having a permanant small forward guarding the pockets.

That's the problem though mate, we don't really have any true "goalkicking midfielders".

Kel and Ling definitely improved their goalkicking this year, but even still, neither averaged near to 1 goal a week.

If we could rely on the midfielders to regularly kick goals, i'd happily rotate them, however right now, we are stuck relying on Ablett and Chappy to kick 4 goals a week between them.

GeeCat said:
Darky mate, which Brad Fisher have you been accustomed to? :confused:

Agreed that he has wonderful hands, but his kicking is rather horrid on most occasions I've seen him. Fisher's skills aren't exactly flash, let alone worthy of comparison to a player such as Green.

Must agree, Gee.

Fisher's hands are superb, but yeah, his disposal skills rival David Clarkes.

NorthBhoy said:
Pfftt.

Bloody Geelong.

Pretty sure I played footy with Matt Egan. Where is he from?

169981ar.jpg

Matty Egan is a lump of a lad from Oak Park. Used to be a tennis player, so had a really late start to his football career.

I really hope a team gives him a chance, because he is better than 30-40% of the key defenders on AFL lists.

What about Ted Richards?

Doesn't get the game time he deserves at Essendon, but looks a player of the future when he does play. It's a shame considering how Bolton and to a lesser extent, Henneman get a game before Teddy.

Strong hands and deceptively agile for a big bloke. Essendon don't appear to want him, maybe there's a possible trade for Spriggs and a late draft pick. Essendon need pace in the midfield and we need a tall forward.

Could be a win-win for both clubs.

phatandphreaky said:
A major issue with our midfielders has been a lack of goals. Admittedly that has stemmed from Thompson's, gameplan, but the fact remains that none of Ling, Corey, Kelly, Bartel or Enright average even close to half a goal a game.

In fact, most only kick a goal every 3 weeks or so.

Chapman, Ablett and Dog Johnson contribute 5.5 goals a week between them, if we moved any of them into the midfield, we wouldn't have the goal kicking ability needed to win games (especially with Kant Kicksley barely kicking at 50%).

Would it not be fair to say however that our midfield core rarely rest in the forward line? I think that would explain the reason behind the amount of goals, or rather the lack thereof, they kick. When someone like Ling, Corey, or any other of our midfielders take a breather from the engine room work, I think it would be fair to say that their rest is on the bench and not in the forward line.

If we open up a wider rotation for our midfield, including the likes of Byrnes, Ablett, and Chapman, it is in my belief that we'll have the luxury of resting our midfielders in the forward line as well as the bench.

IIRC, earlier this season we had the chance to rest Kelly in the forward line against our Round 3 clash with Sydney. Kelly kicked 3 goals from memory as a small forward. If we can impliment the same sort of rotation as mentioned in my previous paragraph, I have no doubt we can get at least 5-6 goals a game from a group consisting of say Kelly, Chapman, Ablett, and Ling (not exactly a small forward but I'm sure you all get the picture) all rotating in the midfield and up forward.

Catman said:
What about Ted Richards?

Doesn't get the game time he deserves at Essendon, but looks a player of the future when he does play. It's a shame considering how Bolton and to a lesser extent, Henneman get a game before Teddy.

Strong hands and deceptively agile for a big bloke. Essendon don't appear to want him, maybe there's a possible trade for Spriggs and a late draft pick. Essendon need pace in the midfield and we need a tall forward.

Could be a win-win for both clubs.

Looks a good talent, but query over his ability to be our tall target up forward. Just watching him play in the VFL last weekend no doubt confirms in my mind his talent and potential, but reminds me of a certain Chad Cornes.

phatandphreaky said:
169981ar.jpg

Matty Egan is a lump of a lad from Oak Park. Used to be a tennis player, so had a really late start to his football career.

I really hope a team gives him a chance, because he is better than 30-40% of the key defenders on AFL lists.

He couldn't have played Junior footy with Oak Park though.

Not bad little period for the EDFL in my age group. Rodan, Zantuck, Swan and Chappy. I played in a few zone combo sides with Chappy. Saw him hit a runner when he was 15.

It was funny until he chased me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NorthBhoy said:
Not bad little period for the EDFL in my age group. Rodan, Zantuck, Swan and Chappy. I played in a few zone combo sides with Chappy. Saw him hit a runner when he was 15.

It was funny until he chased me.

Chappy was a nutcase back in the day. Even in his first year in the AFL system he got suspended numerous times and got in plenty of ******** with the coaches.

He's controlled his temper well since then, although last week he was ready to kill Ty Zantuck. Had to be dragged off the ground to keep him from getting reported, and even on the bench was still mouthing off.

Mind you, i can excuse the behaviour given it was Ty Zantuck involved.

GeeCat said:
Would it not be fair to say however that our midfield core rarely rest in the forward line? I think that would explain the reason behind the amount of goals, or rather the lack thereof, they kick. When someone like Ling, Corey, or any other of our midfielders take a breather from the engine room work, I think it would be fair to say that their rest is on the bench and not in the forward line.

Valid point, however it still doesn't explain the lack of goals.

True goalkicking midfielders like Bairstow, Hocking and Couch all played in the midfield permanently but still averaged 1+ goals a game.

Obviously they are a different class of player, but i still think we need to get more goals from the core midfielders before even contemplating taking Ablett and Chapman up the ground.

Catman said:
It's a shame considering how Bolton and to a lesser extent, Henneman get a game before Teddy.

Henneman is a dud, but Bolton is infinitely more talented than Richards.

I'm biased in regards to Mark, but he is a real talent.

He gets unfairly criticised because Sheedy attempts to play him as a key defender, something which he clearly isn't.

When Bolts plays in his true position, he is a quality contributor.

If we get anyone from Essendon, it will be Sammy Hunt.

phatandphreaky said:
Valid point, however it still doesn't explain the lack of goals.

True goalkicking midfielders like Bairstow, Hocking and Couch all played in the midfield permanently but still averaged 1+ goals a game.

Obviously they are a different class of player, but i still think we need to get more goals from the core midfielders before even contemplating taking Ablett and Chapman up the ground.

Agreed that our midfield still doesn't kick enough goals, but my main point being unless we're getting a 40-50 goal a season goalsneak, I'd rather use that one or so position in the line-up of 22 on another player who we can count on to contribute moreso than a player of Harding's calibre, hence the suggestion of a midfield/small forward rotation.

Giving away anything away to get Leigh Harding would be a huge mistake.

Geelong's Midfield options
Ling
Kelly when fit
Moloney when fit
Bartel
Corey
Chapman
Ablett
Enright when fit
Riccardi

Chappy and Ablett are the two best small forwards we have at the club add this to the fact that we have a huge number of talented midfielders and you get a reason as to why they don't spend more time in the midfield, there just isn't enough room.

phatandphreaky said:
If we get anyone from Essendon, it will be Sammy Hunt.

While not professing intimate knowledge about Essendon's list, one would be concerned by comments such as (EFC website):

"Hunt’s dedication and desire to make it at AFL level could be the deciding factor in him becoming a regular senior player"

"The pressure is on Hunt to decide how bad he wants it."

Having said that, positives are that he is an ex-Falcon, and a big lump (but similar to Egan?)

Get Henery Playfair and Andrew Mackie on Josh Hunts weights program and were sweet for forwards. These two boys have got a lot of talent and once they have bigger bodies they will become better.

Mackie - 192cm, 74kg
Playfair - 197cm, 90kg
Hunt - 185cm, 96kg

Also would give up on Tom Lonergan (196cm,80kg) yet he kicked a few bags of goals in the VFL last season, this season he as been played more as a Defender.

rickster1 said:
While not professing intimate knowledge about Essendon's list, one would be concerned by comments such as (EFC website):

"Hunt’s dedication and desire to make it at AFL level could be the deciding factor in him becoming a regular senior player"

"The pressure is on Hunt to decide how bad he wants it."

Having said that, positives are that he is an ex-Falcon, and a big lump (but similar to Egan?)

Which Essendon site was that, the AFL one, or the one they run themselves?

Ask any Essendon fan and they'll tell you that Sam has been stiffed by Sheedy. They believe his form is good enough to be playing AFL football by now.

He is a big kid, is a defender (an area where we desperately need depth in) and is the second fastest player on the Essendon list.

Scarlett30 said:
Get Henery Playfair and Andrew Mackie on Josh Hunts weights program and were sweet for forwards. These two boys have got a lot of talent and once they have bigger bodies they will become better.

Mackie - 192cm, 74kg
Playfair - 197cm, 90kg
Hunt - 185cm, 96kg

Also would give up on Tom Lonergan (196cm,80kg) yet he kicked a few bags of goals in the VFL last season, this season he as been played more as a Defender.

H is pretty solid, and is still growing.

Mackie and Lonners are always going to be thin, just like Leigh Colbert. Mackie is closer to 80kgs now, and i doubt whether he'd get past 85kgs, just the body he was given.

Scarlett30 said:

Mackie - 192cm, 74kg
Playfair - 197cm, 90kg
Hunt - 185cm, 96kg

Mackie has moved up to 84kg, ignore what the GFC site says.

I think H has also grown to be about 199cm, if I remember reading about that somewhere correctly.

GeeCat said:
I think H has also grown to be about 199cm, if I remember reading about that somewhere correctly.

Bobby Giovanni will be able to confirm that, but yeah, H is closer to 200cm now, and apparently still growing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back