Recruiting

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside 50

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Down at Kardinia Park
Other Teams
Geelong
Below is a list of young talls (mainly forwards). The players on this list are by no means stars but lets face it star key forwards don't grow on trees. Please feel free to mention any other names that you feel Geelong need to have a look at and if anyone has any info about the contracts these players are currently on please let me know.

1. Fergus Watts (Adelaide)
2. Trent Hentshal (Adelaide)
3. Llane Spaanderman (Brisbane)
4. Bradley Fisher (Carlton)
5. William Morrison (Collingwood)
6. Chad Jones (Kangaroos)
7. Drew Petrie (Kangaroos)
8. Brad Miller (Melbourne)
9. Toby Thurstans (Port Adelaide)
10. Jay Shulz (Richmond)
11. Ashley Hansen (West Coast)
12. Paul Johnson (West Coast)

Good thread this, although i would stick with what we have. My thoughts on each of these players (obviously most won't ever be let go, but for a second lets assume they are available)

1. Fergus Watts (Adelaide) - Good talent, would love to have him.
2. Trent Hentshal (Adelaide) - Hentschel won't be a KPP.
3. Llane Spaanderman (Brisbane) - Blake and Spencer are better.
4. Bradley Fisher (Carlton) - A poor mans Steve Johnson, with better hands.
5. William Morrison (Collingwood) - Tubby kid who won't make it.
6. Chad Jones (Kangaroos) - Too risky to trade for.
7. Drew Petrie (Kangaroos) - A star, would fit in well at CHF. A leader.
8. Brad Miller (Melbourne) - Great talent, would work well with Dog Johnson, Ablett and Chapman.
9. Toby Thurstans (Port Adelaide) - Not overly young anymore, but talented. Question mark over his ability to be the main target.
10. Jay Shulz (Richmond) - A big project, but one that would pay off.
11. Ashley Hansen (West Coast) - Love this kid. Is a Victorian, and is close to his old man, so could come home. Very smart player.
12. Paul Johnson (West Coast) - Would take him, but only as a cheapy. Blake is better.

Inside 50 said:
Below is a list of young talls (mainly forwards). The players on this list are by no means stars but lets face it star key forwards don't grow on trees. Please feel free to mention any other names that you feel Geelong need to have a look at and if anyone has any info about the contracts these players are currently on please let me know.

1. Fergus Watts (Adelaide)
2. Trent Hentshal (Adelaide)
3. Llane Spaanderman (Brisbane)
4. Bradley Fisher (Carlton)
5. William Morrison (Collingwood)
6. Chad Jones (Kangaroos)
7. Drew Petrie (Kangaroos)
8. Brad Miller (Melbourne)
9. Toby Thurstans (Port Adelaide)
10. Jay Shulz (Richmond)
11. Ashley Hansen (West Coast)
12. Paul Johnson (West Coast)

Wouldn't want Fisher. No disrespect to him, but although the kid is a great mark, he simply can't kick. Don't want another McCarthy down at the club, teaching one to kick would be enough already.

we mightn't need to worry about any of these forwards boys, as we may have the solution. won't reveal any sources so you might just have to believe me on this one - we've thrown a fair packet at brad ottens which is too good for him to refuse.

I personally believe that Ashley Hansen would be our best chance. He's a victorian playing in perth and the fact that McDougall looks like being the main man on the West Coast forward line.

jmain14 said:
we mightn't need to worry about any of these forwards boys, as we may have the solution. won't reveal any sources so you might just have to believe me on this one - we've thrown a fair packet at brad ottens which is too good for him to refuse.

I think both you and geelong would be setting yourselves up for big dissapointment if that were to go ahead. We've built a team on using good draft picks and hard players who are willing to put in all game every game. Dont think he fits the bill.

I have not studied the players enough to say which I would prefer but here go's...
Paul Johnson (WestCoast)
199, P24 in 02. A big unit, probably brings back memories of Spinks.He is as you would imagine a lumbering style of player but would be a different type of tall than most we have at the club. Could ruck up forward and releive King.
Questions Can he take the strong pack mark his body size would promise, is he a good kick( If he was as good as King , I would be happy), is he a stable unit(had a lot injuries and dont need another Loats)
Why gettable , The eagles talls are looking rather awsome( mongrels) and he might struggle for place with Gardiner still to come back
Troy Chaplin,196,P15(Port)
Ryan Murphy,192,P12(Frem)
Stephen Gilham,191,P15(Port)
Dont know enough of these boys but Chaplin had big wraps, Murphy has done well in the local WA comp,Gliham would be a good addition, was VicMetro Captain but might not be the logical choice, he might be more the natural backman but as with BenGraham who knows where our next forward will come from, maybe our backline.

Having said all that, out all the players mentioned here and above how many would go straight into our best 22? Im not sure.The last thing we need is another tall in the VFL that is not up to AFL.We also have to think about F/S like Tom Hawkins who will be a 195 ish player that will come onto our list probably next year.Our list is already out of balance so do we need more young talls?How far from stepping up are our current talls?Will any of them step up to be 150 game players?
If after that we still need a tall injection , ..
We probably have to decide how far the list is from winning a flag.If we think the list is good enough to be a realistic chance right now we dont want to get another 3year+ player before they are ready to play, wereas if we think we still are 2-3 years away from having the list for a 3-5 year flag zone we need to get the absolute best talent to be ready for then. This means getting in, getting dirty in this years draft or looking at the type of players mentioned.
Tough questions but I think on current form Stephen Wells probably has the right answers.

GeeCat said:
Wouldn't want Fisher. No disrespect to him, but although the kid is a great mark, he simply can't kick. Don't want another McCarthy down at the club, teaching one to kick would be enough already.

He does make McCarthy look like a good kicker.Also he'll miss a lot of next year after doing his knee last week.

IMO our forward line is functioning fine right now (except for the inaccuracy) but Ben Graham isn't going to be around for ever I would say no more than two years. While people can say we already have enough young talls on our list the fact is that none of them look like they'll ever be able to hold down a key position in the forward line..... I hope one of them can prove me wrong.

Inside 50 said:
IMO our forward line is functioning fine right now (except for the inaccuracy) but Ben Graham isn't going to be around for ever I would say no more than two years. While people can say we already have enough young talls on our list the fact is that none of them look like they'll ever be able to hold down a key position in the forward line..... I hope one of them can prove me wrong.

The fact ehh , its pretty hard to have a fact on opinion. I think I know what you mean but, to me players like GAJ or Bartel etc came into the big time and quickly looked the goods, we have not had any tall of that sort of talent come to the club, Riewoldts just dont seem to come along to often.Out of the players we have, Lonergan to me looked a good chance of making ,he has yet to play the main game and that were it will tell but I agree that if BG fell over we have no instant replacement

If Ben Cousins become available, would yours like him at Geelong?
And what would you give to the Eagles for him?

Cro_Pavo said:
Ha ha, that aint gonna happen. Geelong, like any team would have him in a flash. If you took the hypothetical that he's coming out of contract and that he has stated that he will never play for West Coast again and that he will only get traded to Geelong or risk going for the PSD, then we could probably get West Coast over a barrel and trade him for a first round pick (mid-teens) and Spriggs!

But really, what sort of lame question is this?

Cro_Pavo said:

Of course we'd take him, although with his issues, and related injury problems, we wouldn't give up anything near what the Eagles would want.

Besides, discussing such things is silly on Bigfooty. Inevitably people overrate their players (like the Collingwood fans on their board who say they'd want Luke Hodge and pick 1 for Anthony Rocca).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I'd weigh in with my thoughts on the two North blokes mentioned.

Drew Petrie:

DVC and signed a new contract this season, so he won't be going anywhere. That said, even if he was out of contract I'm not sure this would be a good time to trade him. At the end of last season, I am sure a lot of teams would have had his name written down in capital letters if he didn't sign a new deal, and would have been prepared to give up quite a bit. This season however, his form has been atrocious (let's not beat around the bush here). While he has a lot of talent and still does the team things, he still has to prove he can put in consistent four quarter efforts, as you can't afford to have your KPPs' biggest contributions being one percenters.

Chad Jones:

Not sure if you can trade first year players. Nevertheless, he's very highly rated at North, but we'd want what we'd consider sufficient compensation for him, and in all honesty no one's going to give up too much for an unproven forward, no matter how much talent we think he has.

In all honesty, when it comes to KPPs, North aren't really a great team to trade with. We have the smalls for a premiership tilt in the next three to five years, but our KP stocks are either in their last years or largely unproven.

Leigh Harding is a Geelong boy who is always rumoured to come back to the Cats, not sure if that would be of any interest to supporters. Might allow Ablett and/or Chapman to graduate to spending more time in the midfield?

Petrie Dish said:
Leigh Harding is a Geelong boy who is always rumoured to come back to the Cats, not sure if that would be of any interest to supporters. Might allow Ablett and/or Chapman to graduate to spending more time in the midfield?

I'd take Turtle, although i wouldn't be giving up much.

phatandphreaky said:
I'd take Turtle, although i wouldn't be giving up much.

I don't think we could command much, if anything, more than a third round pick or a third tier player, because Turtle has only ever shown glimpses at this level. Still, no denying he can break open a defence on his day.

Yep, third round pick was where i was heading.

Would definitely give that up for him. As you so astutely mentioned, it would free Ablett up for the midfield, which can only be seen as a bonus.

there's a kid in this year's draft that we might have chance for Ryan Willits from Northern Knights he is a tall key postion forward and is well built. Played in the vic metro team in 18s and 16s. good player.

Wouldn't trade Jones. Raw, sickly skinny, but he jumps clear over blokes, runs like no other 197 cm KP player I have seen (I mean no-one), is great below his knees and kicks like a mule. But, more importantly, we wouldn't get anything close to his potential value. We simply wouldn't win the trade.

Drew - Nah. He is a North person. He is in a slump, but he is good enough to come out of it. Is still doing the hard stuff, is a more than competant ruck relief option and IMO, will make a very tidy CHB on certain opponents.

Harding - He is a tough one. Had 0 pre-season, has shown great glimpses, but has also looked ordinary on occasions. We have won every game he has played save one (against you blokes, where he kicked 4) and I don't think that is a complete co-incidence. But, he is just a small forward, and they are not hard to find. Again, probably wouldn't get what his potential value might be.

Aren't you blokes more than right with small forwards?

I know that Johnson and GoJu are too good to be FT FP's, but with Kelly and Bartel in there for a 10 year stretch, and Ling doing his thing.......

Very good problem to have.

Might have to give us Ablett to solve the issue.

NorthBhoy said:
Aren't you blokes more than right with small forwards?

I know that Johnson and GoJu are too good to be FT FP's, but with Kelly and Bartel in there for a 10 year stretch, and Ling doing his thing.......

Very good problem to have.

At the minute we're forced to play Chappy and Ablett close to goal, simply because we don't have any other small forwards.

The intention all along has been to make Chappy and Ablett goalkicking midfielders, and there is only so long you can keep someone of Ablett's quality in the forward line.

Turtle as a permanent forward, would allow for one of Ablett/Chapman to be on the ball at all times, a luxury we don't have now.

Cj's Cats said:
there's a kid in this year's draft that we might have chance for Ryan Willits from Northern Knights he is a tall key postion forward and is well built. Played in the vic metro team in 18s and 16s. good player.

Doubt he'll fall to our pick. Already projected as a top 10 pick, possibly top 5.

Forgive my intrusion, but NorthBhoy's name was on the most recent post and I just had to look. Unfortunately there was no incitement to riot, but a couple of North players were mentioned so I'll have a say... :D

1. Fergus Watts (Adelaide) - Adelaide would be loath to let him go, seeing their need for a key forward is much more dire than your own. Came with a high draft pick, not worth letting go after one year.
2. Trent Hentshal (Adelaide) - ditto re needs. More developed than Watts, but may not necessarily be as good.
3. Llane Spaanderman (Brisbane) - has been touted more as a ruck fill-in this year. Dunno much else.
4. Bradley Fisher (Carlton) - too short for a KPP, but great hands and good skills. Should be the next Brad Green or Tony Hall, but won't solve genuine KPP problems.
5. William Morrison (Collingwood) - know nothing about him
6. Chad Jones (Kangaroos) - big and raw and mobile. Could be anything and could be nothing. We're in a similar position to Geelong where we won't make huge changes, because we realise whereabouts we are in developing our list, and know that they will take a couple of years, especially guys like Jones.
7. Drew Petrie (Kangaroos) - no chance. As NB said, in a slump but still handy when playing badly because his work rate and 1%ers are vital and inspirational. Will play 300+ and I'll start throwing haymakers if it's not for us.
8. Brad Miller (Melbourne) - fills a hole at Melbourne the way Darryl Poole, David Schwarze and Earl Spalding did at their clubs in the 90s. Young and strong, and probably deserves to have a Bon Jovi song written about him.
9. Toby Thurstans (Port Adelaide) - chance to be traded. There's only so long that Port can juggle their 19 ruckmen, although they may hang onto him incase it's Lade's turn to miss a season in 2005.
10. Jay Shulz (Richmond) - has balls but lacks polish, wouldn't rule out that he's offered as trade bait. Could be a real value recruit.
11. Ashley Hansen (West Coast) - doubt they'd let him go. Shows a fair bit, and they're not exactly flash for key forwards.
12. Paul Johnson (West Coast) - know bugger all about him.

Nice précis there Darky. Always good to have a few different opinions.

Would you personally be willing to give up Harding, and if so, what type of deal would you need?

phatandphreaky said:
At the minute we're forced to play Chappy and Ablett close to goal, simply because we don't have any other small forwards.

The intention all along has been to make Chappy and Ablett goalkicking midfielders, and there is only so long you can keep someone of Ablett's quality in the forward line.

Turtle as a permanent forward, would allow for one of Ablett/Chapman to be on the ball at all times, a luxury we don't have now.

I am no Geelong junkie (come on, it's Geelong ;) ), but when you have GoJu, Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Ling, Steve Johnson, Byrnes etc etc, the problem aint huge. Just rotate them through both. Hell, you could raffle the possies at training. Harding is not really a crumber either. Kicks most of his goals from leads 99% of defenders can't even see let alone catch.

From our list, Jeremy Clayton could be an option. He is a freak, easily the best player in the VFL. Milne dimentions, tough as all hell, best mark for a midget in the history of the game, great kick and smart. Off field problems mean he is not in Laidley's good books, but bloody hell he can play.

The key has to be KP forwards. Graham and Kingsley do a job, but you can't win a flag with these two up front. You need two IMO. When you can float Graham and have Kent as the third tall, then you have game on.

Vic clubs could have a field day with some Vic kids playing interstate this trading period IMO. I reckon we will hit it, and hit it hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back