Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Time to fix the grade cricket bs

Time to recruit a bat or two

Time to start winning

Who would people target from other states that are gettable?

Need 2 good bats to replace Ferguson and Cooper imo
Sam Truloff from Queensland. His FC record is s**t so far but seems to have found his feet at FL/Grade level.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Who would people target from other states that are gettable?

Need 2 good bats to replace Ferguson and Cooper imo

If you'd asked this 12 months ago I would've said Nick Larkin but he's got a regular gig for NSW now.

I'm honestly struggling to think of anyone, D'arcy Short would definitely fill a void as it would stop Head from bowling so often. Needs to be experienced/older blokes though, can't expect anyone young to perform in the rabble that is the Redbacks batting lineup.

Crashy

Cancelled
Dec 31, 2018
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Is Nielsen any good do we try and poach a WA keeper? They have like 10

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United

He's solid, nothing spectacular though. I dare say Carey plays more than 2 matches next season (ridiculous lack of red ball cricket for him). Not sure I'd want Whiteman but Philippe and Inglis would both be handy.

Harper seems on the outer at Victoria, ad the guy can seriously play. Aaron Ayre is dominating grade cricket here too and wasn't terrible either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Has Ferguson ever been dropped before?

Big call but a warranted one. Just hasn't had a good season and his record in first innings is actually pretty poor over the last 3 seasons. His last 4 tons have been in 2nd innings.

Smith and Davis have two games - must grab their chance.

Nice to see Opie get a chance. Thought he was ok in the couple of Shield games he played a while back.

rubbers0ul

All Australian
Sep 14, 2005
a-town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
centrals

Not going to happen if your old man sits in the selectors chair.

As much as they have been sprouting organic growth the last few years, the time has come to pull out the cheque book and revitalize the squad with some big name ins.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean like I know we’re bad at batting - really bad, but I’d be interested to know if we’re *historically* bad. Has any SS team ever had worse batting (average runs per wicket) over a season or multiple seasons than us now??

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Time to fix the grade cricket bs

Time to recruit a bat or two

Time to start winning

Every coach the Redbacks have had for the past 30 years has tried to re-structure the grade system, but the boys network won't allow it to happen. There was an attempt to reduce the size of the competition by merging clubs, but that didn't get the nod, even though there were willing participants. There's even a club that has no junior program and survives by taking players from other clubs. SA cricket richly deserves what it's getting.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I notice WA put on a 10th wicket stand of 167 in the Futures game over there, feel like we should just concede that we are no good at Cricket and give the ACT a side, at least they've produced some reasonable cricketers recently.

Just having a bit of a laugh at that suggestion. Can you imagine if that happened? The "cast of thousands" who hang around the SACA in the guise of coaching, high performance development, etc would be leaving like rats deserting a sinking ship. I've never known what these "coaches" do and how they justify their existence.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Just having a look at some of the "batting" this season.
McInerney - opening bat in all 9 games. 17 completed innings, 409 runs @ 24.06. Has made only two 50s with a H.S. of 63. How can you open the entire season and make only 2 fifties, 51 & 63?
Weatherald - opening bat in all 9 matches. 17 completed innings, 451 runs @ 26.53. 1 century and two 50s. H.S. 150. Take that 150 out and he's made 301 runs @ 18.81.
Ferguson - batted 3 in most of his 7 games, dropped to 5 later in the year. 14 completed innings, 339 @ 24.21 with 1 century, 1 fifty. H.S. 111.
Head - 6 matches, 11 innings, 379 runs @ 34.45, 0 centuries, 4 fifties. Nowhere near good enough for a Test player.
Lehmann - 570 runs @ 35.63 H.S. 126, 1 century, 4 fifties. Generally a satisfactory season, but that's the standard he has set himself. A classic case of a player who does just enough to keep his spot.
Cooper - got off to a good start but has tapered to almost nothing in the past few games. 517 @ 34.47. Since his 2 early 100s, he has make 175 runs @ 15.91 in his past 11 innings.

I mean, that's just rubbish. Not one of those players could possibly look you in the eye and declare they are pleased with their efforts. I don't know what the answer is, with nobody in grade cricket really knocking down the door to be selected, and constant injuries to key bowlers, looks like many more years of disappointment for Redbacks fans. I think Redbacks should be facing the inevitability of a total re-build - recruitment, grade structure, coaching, administration, the works.

Hazen

Debutant
Nov 24, 2007
Melb
AFL Club
Essendon
Batsmen it's hard to pick because its highly unlikely you'll peel someone away who's dominating for there current state.

Despite himself having a woeful season, I could look at Travis Dean from the Vic to get across, or maybe even Hilton Cartwright, as he's career has stalled somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back