Redbacks No More - SACA spuds are back

Remove this Banner Ad

They have two divisions this year but somehow Sturt who are one of the strongest clubs ended up in Division 2

A couple of perennially weak clubs recruited heavily and topped up with English players last season in order to make Division 1

Sort of defeats the whole purpose and doesn't do anything to help the production of good cricketers from SA. Was a typically half arsed solution from SACA

They have two divisions this year but somehow Sturt who are one of the strongest clubs ended up in Division 2

A couple of perennially weak clubs recruited heavily and topped up with English players last season in order to make Division 1

Sort of defeats the whole purpose and doesn't do anything to help the production of good cricketers from SA. Was a typically half arsed solution from SACA
I guess the hope is over a few years it averages out.

Can't be a bad thing in the long run, well shouldn't be, but this SACA

It's a poor system because West Torrens might lose Spencer Johnson, Kelvin Smith, Daniel Drew, Bailey Capel to Redbacks 1st or 2nd XI teams and struggle. All home grown players but if they finish bottom two they get relegated even though they're producing more local cricketers than some other clubs

It should have looked at a number of KPIs over a period of time. The strong performers Division 1, the clubs that drag the competition down Division 2

It's a poor system because West Torrens might lose Spencer Johnson, Kelvin Smith, Daniel Drew, Bailey Capel to Redbacks 1st or 2nd XI teams and struggle. All home grown players but if they finish bottom two they get relegated even though they're producing more local cricketers than some other clubs

It should have looked at a number of KPIs over a period of time. The strong performers Division 1, the clubs that drag the competition down Division 2
That's a fair point, I can only assume creating a new league or just shrinking the comp was to hard.

Its the country football '' our turn'' mentality

Spend big for 3 years win your flag then back to the bottom.

With locals then moving away for life or football

What I don't understand about Redback cricket is the way they will try to prime their first 11 by playing them in the second 11 when there isn't a first match on.

I can understand 1 or 2 but when the captain of the side is playing a second 11 match...something stinks.

Good to see Hamish Case get a game in the second 11 after winning a final by himself in the under 19 comp (3 wickets and a run a ball ton).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the Divisions really work.

I know they have tried this before but I'd go back to the four team representative comp that played a shorter season.

That way the district comp remains untouched and you have the best 40-50 odd players (including State u19 players) up against each other. It doesn't have to be every weekend so players stay aligned to their District clubs.

I think the focus should be on trying to make the individual clubs stronger, rather than tinkering with schemes to make things appear better

It seems to be just accepted that there will be perennial punching bags and clubs are largely left to their own devices. Strugglers fend for themselves.

I notice that they are restructuring the junior system next year which is a start and perhaps overdue

Just held on for a draw.

Stone monetherless last in the comp.

Wow, so negative. We're sitting in lofty 5th with a round to go, I reckon we can do it! (sarcasm btw).

As for Grade Cricket, I agree the 2 divs just doesn't work well, Sturt should never be in it. I think either force recruits from interstate to play for Prospects/Southern Districts of the comp or get rid of them.

And Carey's batting is really hard to watch right now, that dismissal was disgusting. His keeping is what's keeping him in, but I'm not sure if it can continue to be justified to keep him in. Inglis is also a very good gloveman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back