State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a huge Nielsen fan but even I agree with that.

I personally would of moved on Lehmann from the team but even if he is currently in the best team he hasn't done enough to guarantee himself a game.

Outside those two not sure who else could do it? Agar and maybe Drew?
Yeah it’s really thin after that in terms of senior guys - maybe even McAndrew as an option but not many others who are guaranteed selection in the team

How’s former Victorian rookie Tom Jackson going in grade cricket? Made the move across at Christmas after being dropped to the 2’s for Geelong.

How’s former Victorian rookie Tom Jackson going in grade cricket? Made the move across at Christmas after being dropped to the 2’s for Geelong.
Playing for Tea Tree Gully 1st Grade

Made 66 last game. Hasn't batted in the current game yet. They had the bye before that.

Playing for Tea Tree Gully 1st Grade

Made 66 last game. Hasn't batted in the current game yet. They had the bye before that.
Probably a rhetorical question, what do teams do when they have a bye? Especially during two day cricket. Saturday intra club/training?

A batsmen for example could go 4-5 weeks without a bat in a game. Eg:
Rd 1
Day 1 bat
Day 2 fielding

Rd 2
Bye
Bye

Rd 3
Day 1 fielding
Day 2 bat

Probably a rhetorical question, what do teams do when they have a bye? Especially during two day cricket. Saturday intra club/training?

A batsmen for example could go 4-5 weeks without a bat in a game. Eg:
Rd 1
Day 1 bat
Day 2 fielding

Rd 2
Bye
Bye

Rd 3
Day 1 fielding
Day 2 bat
Usually there'll be a one dayer or T20 in there somewhere but yeah the bye sucks

They've been trying to get two clubs to merge for about 20 years to get rid of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty intense character, Hunt. Even without the captaincy. A cricket obsessive

Probably a good decision

Not room in his head for more stuff

Captaincy can make or break players, everyone is different. I think if you are giving the captaincy to a young player, it's probably best to do it when that player is in form, otherwise it may have an adverse effect. I recall when Nathan Adcock was named captain, he certainly appeared to be a player of the future, but at the time he was still trying to work out his own game and cement his place in the team.

When I saw Nathan, I said "Congratulations". To my surprise, he said "Give it to me straight, do you think I should be captain?". I just gave him the positive thing about selectors believing he was up to the task and to give it his best shot". However, I walked away thinking it didn't sound good that he doubted his own ability. As we know, Nathan didn't respond to the role and soon after found his way out of the team.

Captaincy can make or break players, everyone is different. I think if you are giving the captaincy to a young player, it's probably best to do it when that player is in form, otherwise it may have an adverse effect. I recall when Nathan Adcock was named captain, he certainly appeared to be a player of the future, but at the time he was still trying to work out his own game and cement his place in the team.

When I saw Nathan, I said "Congratulations". To my surprise, he said "Give it to me straight, do you think I should be captain?". I just gave him the positive thing about selectors believing he was up to the task and to give it his best shot". However, I walked away thinking it didn't sound good that he doubted his own ability. As we know, Nathan didn't respond to the role and soon after found his way out of the team.
I seem to recall Adcock got 196 in a Grade game when he was a teenager?

Was going to be the next big thing..

I seem to recall Adcock got 196 in a Grade game when he was a teenager?

Was going to be the next big thing..

Nathan made 105 in his first game, then followed it up with 188 not out. In his 3rd innings, he made 68, and I recall the opposition doing a war dance at the fall of the wicket, relieved he didn't make another 100. He was only 18 at the time and yes, he was the next biggest thing to come along since Lehmann. At that time (and I think it's still relevant), only 2 players had made 100s in their first two SACA "A" Grade innings. The other was West Indian Test player Gordon Greenidge with Adelaide.

Nathan played state cricket at 19 but lost his way a little, eventually finding his way into the Sturt 2nd XI. At one time he took a nasty fall in the outfield and was very fortunate not to receive serious injury. University offered him the captaincy (there's that word again) to lure him to their club. I didn't think he was ready and for the first season, he struggled, often batting as low as 7 or 8. Eventually, he came good and found his way back into the Redbacks team with the obvious plan of him being a future captain.

It is unfortunate he didn't kick on, I feel cricket was robbed of a genuine and exciting talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back