State Redbacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee losing Weathers is a tough one but probably been gunning for a move for a while I reckon.

Batting stocks are again looking pretty thin.

Just to keep you all fired up in the winter months, Jake Lehmann has signed a multi yr deal according to today's squad announcement on cricket.com.au

Fraser-McGurk in as well, think he's a good pickup for you at least in One Day matches. Has had a poor run in Premier Cricket but get him on a decent wicket and a fresh start and he could turn it around.

I was hoping we might have been able to lure Matt Short after his strikers form and I believe now having a local girlfriend

I was thinking the other way and that we'd be lucky to hold onto him for the BBL. Realistically not going to really be able to recruit an established player at one of the better states so have to go for guys like JFM who I think has a load of talent.

I was thinking the other way and that we'd be lucky to hold onto him for the BBL. Realistically not going to really be able to recruit an established player at one of the better states so have to go for guys like JFM who I think has a load of talent.
Surprised teams didn't get word of Heazlett getting let go by Qld, feel like he still has plenty left to offer despite never fully living up to expectations and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a side like SA. A fresh start for him wouldn't be the worst thing imo.

Surprised teams didn't get word of Heazlett getting let go by Qld, feel like he still has plenty left to offer despite never fully living up to expectations and wouldn't be a bad pickup for a side like SA. A fresh start for him wouldn't be the worst thing imo.
Would rather have Heazlett than Fraser-McGurk.

Would rather have Heazlett than Fraser-McGurk.
Heazlett is 27 jfm 21, 27 isnt old for a cricketer by any stretch but you would hope jfm can eclipse heazlett's 2000 odd runs @ 29 over the next 6 years, and hopefully be a quality contributor for his prime years from there...

Wouldn't have been against trying to get someone like Wildermuth we lack an all rounder and he has barley played for QLD in list A or first class the last couple of seasons.

Wouldn't have been against trying to get someone like Wildermuth we lack an all rounder and he has barley played for QLD in list A or first class the last couple of seasons.
He was in terrible form back in 2021 then was injured most of last season, scored 2 or 3 tons on return to premier cricket at the start of this year and then put straight back in to the Qld side at the end of the season. He will play most matches next season provided he is fit.

He was in terrible form back in 2021 then was injured most of last season, scored 2 or 3 tons on return to premier cricket at the start of this year and then put straight back in to the Qld side at the end of the season. He will play most matches next season provided he is fit.
Fair enough and who knows maybe we have enquired about such players and they aren't interested in leaving their state...

So are we in a for a year of pain or a year of some sort of success?
I think it looks like a pretty strong squad this year IMO. Agree batting looks a little unsettled.
But theres a number of unknowns like will Smith take his grade form into shield for a strong second change at this level?
What do new bats, unconvincing bats and largely untried bats do - Brazell, Carder, Higgins, Kelly?
For the bowlers can Thornton, Conway, Scott, Grant, Doggett, Buckingham there appears to be significant depth. Have we spent too much on this area of the squad? On paper it looks like it to me.

What does best XI look like?

Smith, Hunt, McSweeney, Drew, Lehmann, Fraser-McGurk, Nielsen, Manenti, Johnson, McAndrew, Agar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it looks like a pretty strong squad this year IMO. Agree batting looks a little unsettled.
But theres a number of unknowns like will Smith take his grade form into shield for a strong second change at this level?
What do new bats, unconvincing bats and largely untried bats do - Brazell, Carder, Higgins, Kelly?
For the bowlers can Thornton, Conway, Scott, Grant, Doggett, Buckingham there appears to be significant depth. Have we spent too much on this area of the squad? On paper it looks like it to me.

Smith, Hunt, McSweeney, Drew, Lehmann, Fraser-McGurk, Nielsen, Manenti, Johnson, McAndrew, Agar
I'd still have Doggett or Buckingham in for a bat. Manenti and McAndrew are capable of batting at 7/8.

Making runs consistently has been a problem for decades

Does the new premier league start with less teams this summer ? (As in 23/24)

Making enough runs will definitely be the problem, probably need Hunt, McSweeney and Drew to all have really good years as the rest of the batting depth in the squad is either known to be patchy or entirely unproven. Going back to Kelvin Smith especially feels like a backwards step to me, would love to be proven wrong then

Bowling I am slightly more optimistic about, good depth, decent variety, two of the likely first choice starters in McAndrew and Manenti genuinely being more than useful with the bat helps too

We'll win the lot this year!

Hurts to say but no Weatherald will actually help. I rate him but he's been so up and down in terms of form and head space. Right time to cut ties.

I like our pace bowling depth.

I see your point wrt Weatherald, but can't agree on the basis that I really can't see a clear alternative. Smith will get first shot I know, Carder is also still around but I remain unconvinced and there is nobody else at grade level who jumps out in terms of opening, the 2-3 most promising young batsmen there bat in the middle

SACA advertising for a State Talent Manager, to oversee the management of the Strikers and Redbacks playing lists

Is that Tim Nielsen's role? Or Shaun Williams?

I am not sure of his title but I always thought that was Tim Nielsen's role.

Mark Cosgrove is high performace coach which I think is more overseeing the State Junior teams.

Someone at SACA needs to tell Jordan Buckingham to pull his head in before he cops suspensions, been acting like a campaigner all morning. Feigning throws at batsman on multiple occasions, following through all the way in the faces of batsman and to top it off he pretended to jump in front on Aryan Jain whole he was running between the wickets. Knob head behaviour. Carried on a bit in Aus A vs NZA match the other week too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back