Ref Watch

Mentioned to Jatz in the MD 4 thread before it all went to s**t but maybe it makes sense to have a thread to discuss refereeing decisions?

Seen a replay of the Bravo tackle from a few angles and it does look like he goes in with a great play at the ball, foot comes through connecting with the ball from the side, not leading with studs.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
What is this? A Ref thread without any acknowledge of the GOAT and how all refs strive to be like him.

Mods, please give SM at least a yellow card for his misconduct on how to start a topic about Refs.

NEW5.jpg

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
FA reveal reasons for Aguero ban:

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/37363867

They definitely got this one right. Reid likely would have had a broken jaw with the force Aguero used had it caught him square on.

City's defence was farcical by the sound of it. Also, Halsey had a falling out with PGMOL a few years ago - it isn't suprising that he's stirring up s**t at every opportunity and is likely talking crap with his "I was told to say I hadn't seen incidents" crap.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
That does remind me. Have you done any of these before?
3407.jpg

If we're going with what I would actually do:

1) The goal stands, game plays until the whistle is blown.
2) Let the corner be taken, then at the next stoppage of play hold up play and make sure whoever's missing a shin pad puts it on.
3) I'd get the FK to be taken again, no punishment for the captain if he was trying to walk past and I hadn't blown for the FK to be taken yet.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
If we're going with what I would actually do:

1) The goal stands, game plays until the whistle is blown.
2) Let the corner be taken, then at the next stoppage of play hold up play and make sure whoever's missing a shin pad puts it on.
3) I'd get the FK to be taken again, no punishment for the captain if he was trying to walk past and I hadn't blown for the FK to be taken yet.

Hmm, looks like you're in line with the recommended answers for 2 and 3 (in fact, it was pointed out that since the defender is just standing there, you wouldn't have signalled for the FK to be taken.)

The 1st answer is interesting, because it suggests that you should disallow the goal, because you dictated that the game should've finished when it with the defenders, and since everyone saw you fumbling the whistle, there could be no arguments about it.

1) You are the sole timekeeper – and you decided time had expired when the ball was being played across the backline. It won’t make you popular with the visitors, but disallow the goal and explain why. Everyone will have seen that you dropped the whistle, so they should accept your decision. Usually referees have the whistle attached by a lanyard to their wrist – a sensible precaution.

2) If it’s not too late, delay the kick and find out who the missing pad belongs to. But if the kick has already been taken, and the pad doesn’t represent a danger to, or interfere with, players in the vicinity, allow play to continue. You can then resolve it when the ball is next out of play.

3)
This one is more simple than it looks: you hadn’t signalled for the kick to be taken, so, assuming you advised the attacking player that he must not take the kick until your signal, caution him, or send him off if you consider he used excessive force. Restart with the original free-kick. Defending players standing in front of the ball to stop quick kicks is a problem in the game – but in this case, the attacking player is also at fault.

Hmm, looks like you're in line with the recommended answers for 2 and 3 (in fact, it was pointed out that since the defender is just standing there, you wouldn't have signalled for the FK to be taken.)

The 1st answer is interesting, because it suggests that you should disallow the goal, because you dictated that the game should've finished when it with the defenders, and since everyone saw you fumbling the whistle, there could be no arguments about it.

Well there you go. I guess if I was about to blow the whistle and it was in my mouth and dropped out, I should disallow the goal, but I think it would definitely depend on the context.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Well there you go. I guess if I was about to blow the whistle and it was in my mouth and dropped out, I should disallow the goal, but I think it would definitely depend on the context.

Oh definitely, context is quite important.

Speaking of context, have one last crack at this, because these are some 'ugly' ones:
3392.jpg

Oh definitely, context is quite important.

Speaking of context, have one last crack at this, because these are some 'ugly' ones:
3392.jpg

1) Depends on where the defender is standing, if he's too close to the thrower I'll make him come back before the throw, if the thrower takes it quickly I'd just play on the advantage.
2) Gee I have no idea what to do in that situation. Suppose I have to make the judgement for offside myself, if I think he's offside I'll call it, and if not then it's play on.
3) Nope, you've paid the penalty, can't then reverse it.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
1) Depends on where the defender is standing, if he's too close to the thrower I'll make him come back before the throw, if the thrower takes it quickly I'd just play on the advantage.
2) Gee I have no idea what to do in that situation. Suppose I have to make the judgement for offside myself, if I think he's offside I'll call it, and if not then it's play on.
3) Nope, you've paid the penalty, can't then reverse it.

You cold hearted-bugger, not even checking up on your assistant to see if he's alright? Remind me to never be your assistant, lol. (The first part was also what action is to be taken for the player that collided with your assistant, but considering your answer, you also suggested it was 'Play On.')

The first one assumes he was directly in front jumping about like a looney, but you did get the first one correct.

Third one is correct, it's an error on your part, but what's done is done. It also suggests you should red card him as well.

1) Assuming the throw wasn’t unduly hard or intended to cause injury, the attacker hasn’t committed any offence here, so award the goal. As for the defender: he didn’t actually delay the restart, so he avoids a booking this time. But have a word: warn him that if he does this again he’ll be cautioned. The laws require him to be at least two metres away from the point at which the ball is thrown, and he must know that.

2) You and your assistants are considered part of the field of play – so any collision like this is considered a “play on” situation, especially when it is accidental. As for the offside call – as always, you can only base your decisions on what you and your colleagues have seen. You cannot disallow a goal based on a hunch and your assistant was in no position to contribute. So award the goal and check your colleague is OK.

3) It’s too late for that. This is poor officiating – you should always delay a decision in cases like this. But having blown the whistle you now have to follow through and award the penalty, then decide whether or not to send the keeper off. Technically, he did not deny a goalscoring opportunity because the ball rolled into the net, and only your poor refereeing stopped it being awarded. But, having awarded the penalty – meaning the game stopped when the foul was committed – I would say you do now need to dismiss him. It’s a self-inflicted mess.

Back