Player Watch Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have been a contender for years with Rhys ******* Stanley as the main ruck. Port rolled out with Lycett for a long time. The least important position to win a flag by a country mile.
Generally yes unless you get a truly great one like Gawn or Rehn (Jackson was pretty handy second half of 2021 GF also). But it’s mainly the around the ground stuff where they add most value. ROB is a total liability and for such a smart and driven guy I am actually quite perplexed he has gone so far backwards in contested marking since he won the B&F

Generally yes unless you get a truly great one like Gawn or Rehn (Jackson was pretty handy second half of 2021 GF also). But it’s mainly the around the ground stuff where they add most value. ROB is a total liability and for such a smart and driven guy I am actually quite perplexed he has gone so far backwards in contested marking since he won the B&F
I honestly don't care tbh, it's still not a position that has any correlation to winning a flag if you have an elite one (Gawn is clearly an outlier over the last decade, with Cox the only one of note in the 10 years prior).

ROB's work at stoppages is quite good (tackles or clearance) and his ruck work is decent enough and has improved this year. Only one club has the complete ruckman and that is Melbourne and maybe Sydney with Grundy (but they have gone years with bog average rucks and been fine).

Bringing in a young ruck that has developed on another list or a previous number one ruck that has fallen out of favour is the easiest thing to do every trade period and I do think we will do either this year or next given ROB's age.

wbQLx97.png

Can we throw away the key?

Some players have a terrible kicking action and they make it effective like Gryan Miers

O'Brien has the combination of a terrible kicking action and being a terrible kick.

It's not that he "can't kick" as in he isn't as good as other AFL players. It's like he actually hasn't learned how to kick properly and struggles to execute the action
I don't know what you're talking about.

EiRJabEU4AANd3P.jpg

Can someone explain why, when Tex or Berg take the forward 50 ruck contests, ROB stands 10m away from them in no man's land?
So he can't be blamed for dropping a mark as umpires would call play on...

I gave up.
The actual answer is because the cupboard is bare.

Is there any point bringing Strachan in? He's only six weeks younger than O'Brien, is a worse ruckman, and only marginally better around the ground.

Beyond that, we have an injured Thilthorpe who is supposed to be a KPF, and then Himmelberg who is already playing.

If we pick up any ruckman in the MSD, then we can have a discussion about giving O'Brien a spell in the SANFL.

Is there any point bringing Strachan in? He's only six weeks younger than O'Brien, is a worse ruckman, and only marginally better around the ground.

Beyond that, we have an injured Thilthorpe who is supposed to be a KPF, and then Himmelberg who is already playing.

If we pick up any ruckman in the MSD, then we can have a discussion about giving O'Brien a spell in the SANFL.
If nothing else but to give ROB a rocket that he can't just cruise with no ramifications.

I'm not sure bringing in our only other ruckman to flounder at AFL level really sends all that harsh a message.

"Better perform well O'Brien, because we have nobody to replace you with!"
Would we lose much with Strachan?

I'm confident he would offer more around the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?
I would argue the opposite.

For his tapwork. I'd say Strahan was only clearly behind Rehn and Clarke. And would be in an argument with Jacobs.

It's just he's slightly worse than ROB around the ground IMO.

But tbh. We've always been quite spoilt.

We're onto our 5th main ruckman in our history.

If I rank the 5 main ruckman (plus strahan) for tapwork

1. Clarke
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Strahan
4. Jacobs
daylight
5. ROB
6. Maric

For around the ground.

1. Jacobs
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Maric
daylight
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Clarke

Overall taking everything into account.

1. Rehn
2. Jacobs
daylight
3. Clarke
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Maric

We’ve seen what he can do in the few games we gave him and he did pretty well.
I mean, did he? Admittedly it's been a couple of years so I might be misremembering, but my memory is that he got pantsed in the ruck, was okay around the ground, and missed every shot on goal he had.

I mean, did he? Admittedly it's been a couple of years so I might be misremembering, but my memory is that he got pantsed in the ruck, was okay around the ground, and missed every shot on goal he had.
Played well and matched Gawn and Goldstein in 2022 and had a poor game against Brisbane and then played well against the saints (4th highest rated player and up against Ryder and Marshall) and got dropped for his troubles.
More than serviceable from a 5 game player.

Really?

For his tapwork. I'd say Strahan was only clearly behind Rehn and Clarke. And would be in an argument with Jacobs.

1. Clarke
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Strahan
4. Jacobs
daylight
5. ROB
6. Maric

For around the ground.

1. Jacobs
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Maric
daylight
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Clarke

1. Rehn
2. Jacobs
daylight
3. Clarke
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Maric
Jacobs over Rehn around the ground.

Goodfellas GIF

Really?

1. Clarke
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Strahan
4. Jacobs
daylight
5. ROB
6. Maric

For around the ground.

1. Jacobs
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Maric
daylight
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Clarke

1. Rehn
2. Jacobs
daylight
3. Clarke
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Maric

You can't be serious suggesting Strachan is a better tap ruckman than Jacobs

You can't be serious suggesting Strachan is a better tap ruckman than Jacobs
Watch his 3rd game.
Some of the best tapwork I've ever seen.

Really?

1. Clarke
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Strahan
4. Jacobs
daylight
5. ROB
6. Maric

For around the ground.

1. Jacobs
2. Rehn
daylight
3. Maric
daylight
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Clarke

1. Rehn
2. Jacobs
daylight
3. Clarke
4. Strahan
5. ROB
6. Maric
Rehn was easily best around the ground imo.

You have also forgotten about the likes of Pittman & name who escapes me who left for the Bullies. Edit- Hudson

How the heck do you have Strachan at #4?

Crows ruckman ranking off the top of my head.

1 Rehn
2 Jacobs
3 Micken
4 Clarke
5 Pittman
6 Hudson
7 O'Brien
8 Maric
9 Biglands
10 Griffin
11 Marsh
12 Keating