Past Rhan Hooper (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't need to redraft him but it may be viewed as an option if it turns out we have to pay him anyway. Though given our stated intention to delist him, it's hard to see a scenario where we'd play him above anyone anyway.

Could it be that he didn't front at Richmond because he was always going to the Hawks in the draft?

Maybe they can get him to knuckle down and realise his potential, but I seriously doubt it.

This thread is an interesting read.

Hopefully Rhan can screw his lid because he does have the talent. I tend to think that if Leigh Matthews and Vossy can beat sense into someone then no-one can...

Yeah, I hope it is not read as sour grapes, but I think you'll find most Lions supporters would be surprised if Rhan managed to pull it together. He got homesick for Ipswich for god's sake (think Geelong/Melbourne). I hope for his sake that this makes him realise what he could be missing out on.

I cringed more at this:

"That's all in the past now. I just want to move forward and hopefully get into the finals this year."

No "I just want to train hard and hopefully earn my spot in the team".

Instead he comes across as "I assume I'll make the team and am already looking to playing in the finals".

2009draftees.jpg

Standing under the statue of John Kennedy Sr is ironic... I can remember thinking to myself a few times this year "for god's sake Hooper... do something... DO SOMETHING!"

History dictates that Hooper will be off Hawthorn's list with in 2 years, unless young Cyril proves something of an inspiration to him, strong Aboriginal culture developing at the Hawks with Franklin, Bateman and Rioli as established stars and with Stokes as an up and coming footballer. Wish Rhan all the best.

If Clarkson can do what Matthews and Voss failed to do, I'd consider starting a religion called Clarksonism, because he's clearly a miracle worker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hold onto your hats, sports fans...

Some Crap About a Disputed Payout

Give me a break! It seriously pisses me off when I read things like this - the guy had absolutely no discipline at all and expects the world to shower him with his $300,000.00 payout for effectively being sacked. Perhaps I should go back to the last employer who sacked me with my hand out and see how far it gets me... And I am especially irritated when I see the Lions posting fairly significant losses without before having to shell out money to no-hopers who have thrown away their opportunities.

:mad:

2008 Review

2009 End of Season Review

Hooper started the year by going AWOL during preseason... again. When he finally returned he was suspended for 28 days and given a fitness benchmark to meet upon return. Voss gave up his Christmas holidays to train with him and help him reach that benchmark. Despite being more dilligent in his application he was unsuccessful and received a $40,000 fine (which was an aggregate of 4 separate and undisclosed breaches).

Hooper then started the season in fine form, kicking 4 goals in Voss' debut as coach, and then another two in round 2, before succumbing to an ankle injury. He missed 3 weeks and then plied his trade for the reserves until he got his fitness back. He returned to the senior side in round 10 and again made an impression kicking 4 goals.

From then on he did very little. Over the next 4 rounds he kicked two goals and averaged 8 disposals. He was dropped, and was probably lucky to be given a recall in the finals. Again he failed to contribute kicking one goal and averaging 4.5 disposals in the EF and SF. At the end of the year he was put on the trade table, and with no deals going through, he was delisted with a year still to go on his contract.

In his time at the club he played 48 games. He hit a real purple patch in the 2nd half of 2007, but apart from that has offered little. With his lack of application he has not earnt much respect at the club, and in 20 years will probably be remembered as the guy that didn't turn up to training.

hooper.jpg

Ran into one of his former Brisbane 'associates' yesterday. I mentioned the Lions and he asked was Rhan Hooper still with them. He then proceeded to tell some stories - Jesus :eek:

Good Luck Hawks. :eek:

Thanks for that, we'll need it. I was under seige on our board for questioning his application throughout his footy career. This only confirms what I believed, a leopard never changes his spots. Many on our board believe he is going to start in our side. Not in our top 30 players in my opinion.

Thanks for that, we'll need it. I was under seige on our board for questioning his application throughout his footy career. This only confirms what I believed, a leopard never changes his spots. Many on our board believe he is going to start in our side. Not in our top 30 players in my opinion.

I think he will be out with a point to prove this year and he will be at his best...and then towards the end of the year he will be back to himself and you will hardly notice he's playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back