Delisted Rhys Mathieson (2015-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Debutant unleashes the beast for Lions
BRISBANE debutant Rhys Mathieson has earned the nickname “Beast Mode’’ in his short time at the Gabba. And the Lions hope he can live up to it when he plays his first AFL match against Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday. The 19-year-old will be the 18th debutant for Brisbane since the start of 2014 which is a competition-high. Few have been as colourful as the dual under-18 All-Australian, who last week re-signed with the club until the end of 2019.

The tough midfielder would have made his debut earlier if not for a broken cheekbone in the final NAB Challenge match. Pick No. 39 in last year’s draft has been christened “Beast Mode’’ because he uses the phrase during training to spur on himself and his teammates. He also sends text messages to Lions senior coach Justin Leppitsch before each game to “pump up’’ the boss, making fun of the opposition’s mascot.

“Yeah, the Beast Mode thing, the boys got on to that because when we were doing a really good job at training and we were going at 100 per cent, I would yell out that we were in ‘Beast Mode’,’’ he said. “When I was in the gym trying to lift really heavy weights, the boys would pump me up by saying I was in Beast Mode. It has stuck.

“And Leppa still wants me to send the texts even though I’m playing now. They were just texts taking the mickey out of the other team’s name and telling Leppa how we were going to beat them. “They were also trying to let him know that we are here for him and the playing group is right behind him.’’

Mathieson is a contested ball animal and will help address Brisbane’s poor numbers in that critical part of the game, especially against Melbourne who are an elite clearance side. He was a standout in his two NAB Challenge appearances as he mixed the tough stuff with touches of skill.

“Contested footy is my strength. Leppa said he is not expecting too much from me other than giving 100 per cent but I want to be bringing some intensity, some energy, some life and getting the other boys involved,’’ he said. “We’ve got some fresh faces in the side this week and we want to make a statement and keep our place in the side.’’

He said it was a dream come true to be making his AFL debut at the MCG. “It hasn’t really sunk in yet. It probably won’t until we get to the ground. What better place to debut than at the G though,’’ he said. “When I found out I got the gig, I told Mum (Erica) she was in charge of organising tickets for family and friends so she is Ticketek for the weekend and whoever turns up, turns up.’’

Leppitsch is an unabashed Mathieson fan. “I love him. He brings great spirit and life to the group as well as good contested ball skills,’’ Leppitsch said. “I love the texts before the games. They are things like ‘Let’s clip the Eagles’ wings today’ or ‘Turn off the Power’. I look forward to them now.’’
dae1549fca1419f936b24aa8792b729e

The player who Mathieson reminds me of quite a bit is Rockliff. I really hope Rhys does what Tom did after his first year and go away and put a heap of time into improving his fitness. He has a lot of great tools but needs to improve his tank a lot to take full advantage of them. Rockliff was just the same and credit to Tom he did the hard yards. I am hoping Rhys does the same.

The player who Mathieson reminds me of quite a bit is Rockliff. I really hope Rhys does what Tom did after his first year and go away and put a heap of time into improving his fitness. He has a lot of great tools but needs to improve his tank a lot to take full advantage of them. Rockliff was just the same and credit to Tom he did the hard yards. I am hoping Rhys does the same.

With regards to the fitness etc. it's exactly what Rocky said this morning on SEN :thumbsu:

Needing more 'spunk and aggression'

RHYS Mathieson has played just 10 games, but coach Justin Leppitsch says the Brisbane Lions need more players like him.

Mathieson was at the centre of a second quarter revival in Sunday's 10-goal loss to Geelong, niggling Cats skipper Joel Selwood and firing up his teammates in the process.

The Lions got good contributions from leaders Tom Rockliff and Daniel Rich, but it was 19-year-old Mathieson's play that had the home team buzzing.

He wasn't afraid to push and shove Selwood and eventually drew a free kick from the Geelong champion, ironically for a high 'shrug' tackle he made famous.

Mathieson went back and slotted the goal and got right in Selwood's face. The Geelong midfielder responded by imitating the Lion’s 'gunshot' celebration before pushing him off.

Terrible season but this youngster is one reason for Lions fans to be excited heading into the future. He is genuine quality, just a natural footballer and he has shown an ability to kick goals as well. A contested/clearance midfield beast who can kick goals? Yes please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid is seriously good, for an inside mid his goal sense is amazing. A few years in the system to clean up his disposal and he can seriously be anything.

The Unlucky Beast

On Thursday Fox Sports published an article suggesting that Rhys ‘Beastmode’ Mathieson was unlucky to miss out on an AFL Rising Star nomination in 2016… and we agree. Let’s look at the stats!

Mathieson made his debut for the Brisbane Lions in Round 9 against Melbourne at the MCG. He finished the game with a total of 14 disposals, eight contested possessions, three clearances and three inside 50s.

He backed that performance up with another 14 possession game against Hawthorn at the Gabba, before spending the next three weeks in the NEAFL.

When he returned, he came back firing, having arguably his best game for the Season with 24 disposals and seven tackles against Richmond in Round 14.

From Round 14, he registered 20 or more disposals on four occasions, including a 24-disposal, two goal performance against Adelaide.

Player Reviews: No. 36 - 40

Known to teammates and the Brisbane Lions faithful as “Beast Mode”, Rhys Mathieson quickly made a name for himself at the Club after being drafted with pick #39 in the 2015 National Draft. His penchant for loving the contested ball was evident to see in just his first AFL game in round nine against Melbourne, as he won a game high six free kicks as reward for his aggressive attack on the ball. The 185cm midfielder averaged 18.2 disposals a game in 2016 – 9th highest on the team – and found consistency toward the end of the year, playing in the final eight games of the season.

Coach’s notes

‘The Beast’ played 11 games in his debut season, kicked 8 goals for the year, and showed by taking it up to Joel Selwood in the Geelong game that he is going to be a good contested ball player for us. He’s shown the ability to win his own contest and spreads hard both ways really well. He’s been a steal for us at pick 39 and again another one who can get a big pre-season into him for 2017 should have a big impact for us at this footy club in the midfield.

beast2016review.jpg

Mathieson prepares for a big 2017

Young Brisbane Lions midfielder Rhys Mathieson is finding “rare air” during the offseason as he tries to take his fitness to the next level.

Mathieson has turned to the familiar face of Geelong Falcons conditioning boss Matt Critchley to give him a headstart on 2017.

Across more than 20 sessions since the AFL season finished, Mathieson and Essendon’s Darcy Parish have quietly returned to the Falcons’ headquarters for a series of high-intensity, highly calculated workouts designed to have them in peak condition for the start of pre-season training.

The training includes Mathieson wearing a breathing mask that simulates the effects of altitude training by restricting air flow, forcing the body to work harder during the workouts and, theoretically, helping to strengthen lung capacity.

“It just helps blow me up a bit quicker, so it’s like you’re sucking through a straw, it’s been handy,” Mathieson told The Geelong Advertiser.

“It takes us back to the good old days, I love training with them,” said Mathieson, who played 11 AFL games in his debut season this year.

“I haven’t stopped since the season’s finished, I’ve just kept going.

“I can’t just walk back into the club and think I’m going to play Round 1, I just try to prepare the best I can for the season.

“I just want to be ready for (new Senior Coach) Chris (Fagan) and earn his respect and hopefully I can get that Round 1 spot.”

Mathieson won't take 'no' for an answer

BRISBANE Lions midfield hunter Rhys Mathieson has worked on plenty this pre-season, and he's picking the brains of one of the game's best to help him.

In a tough 2016 season for his new club, Mathieson was an under-rated shining light, playing 11 games, including the last nine.

His flailing mop of hair and ability to win free kicks for high contact might have antagonised opponents and their fans, but it also masked a very good debut season.

Mathieson, who recently turned 20, averaged 18 disposals in a struggling midfield, with more than half of them contested.

That's his forte, diving to the feet of packs seemingly without a care for his welfare and popping up with the ball.

His instincts to win the hard ball are there, but Mathieson says one pre-season under new coach Chris Fagan has been enough to teach him there's plenty more to work on.

"For me, it's just my transition defensive running," Mathieson told AFL.com.au.

"I spit forward a lot when we've got the ball, as all players do, but it's just snapping from offence to defence for me.

"It's a mindset thing and that's my main thing to work on this season.

"I do a lot of bulk work inside rather than outside, so I'm a bit sluggish coming off the contest.

"It's a bit of both (fitness and mindset), but mainly snapping my mindset."

To help his progression, Mathieson went to Dayne Beams to get some help.

And it was a demand more than an enquiry of the Collingwood premiership player, All Australian and two-time best and fairest.

"He's an inside mid and I want to model my game off his," Mathieson said.

"I spent a bit of time in rehab with him last year when I broke my cheekbone and we built a good relationship.

"On the training track he came across as a mentor and I put it on him and said "mate, you're going to be my mentor, whether you like it or not, you're going to have to do it".

"He's just smart. Around the ball, he knows when to go, his running patterns are very good.

"In training I tend to go on the opposition side and try to follow his running patterns, he's quite good at that."

Mathieson is currently on the fringe of the Lions' best 22 and will use the JLT Community Series, starting with Sunday's match against Gold Coast, to push his case for a permanent midfield spot.

The knockabout boy from Lara said he'd treat it like any other game, which means bashing, crashing, and no favours asked from either his teammates or the opposition.

Training accident delays Mathieson's 2017

Rhys Mathieson is set to miss 4-6 weeks after injuring his ankle in a training accident.

“Rhys Mathieson had a really bad sprain to his ankle,” Brisbane Lions Head of Medical, Peter Blanch told Lions.com.au.

“The sprain resulted in some ligament issues, including ligaments in the top of his ankle.

“Luckily it wasn’t bad enough that it required surgery, but he will be in rehabilitation for the next 4-6 weeks.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back