Summer RIO 2016 - Athletics (Track & Road events) 12th to 20th Aug

Remove this Banner Ad

bert-newton-blog-copy-620x413.jpeg

"I like the boy!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reference to you guys being suss about Van Niekirk, I'm guessing a lot of you guys only watch the track and field once every four years which is understandable. At last year's world champs, Van Niekirk went close to breaking the WR, and was so spent afterwards he was taken to hospital and put on a drip. He's a speed machine and would be quick enough to make the 100m final if he trained for it.

I never felt like Bolt was going to lose that even after the start.
Reminded me of a cat stalking a mouse. Toyed with Gatlin, Bolt never panicked.

That's what's so good about him, any other athlete in the world would have panicked after being behind that much from his start and ruined his race, yet Bolt kept his composure and reeled them all in.

WVN appears to be in PB form though ;)
Maybe so but It'll be a huge performance from Merrit if he runs close to his SB over 200. WVN would be in the same boat. Very few 400 and 800 runners do any other event in the same major meet because they are just such taxing races - I'm surprised Merritt is doing it to be honest. Michael Johnson only ran both events a couple of times, and that was right in the middle of his prime years.

Van Niekirk's run is up there with Bolt's world record in the 100 in Beijing. Watching it you saw he was going to win a long way out, and then you realised how he was massacring the rest of the field, and the hairs on the back of the neck stood up. (I called the world record tonight with 50 to run - purely out of excitement).
His form in the straight was perfect - that's how you run a 400. Go hard, hold form, hold form. Pretty easy, really.:p:p:p. (For how not to do it, watch Morgan Mitchell's race in the 400 semis. She was gone at the 200).

Bolt's good, too. The first time we've ever felt 'He might not make it!' half-way down the straight. I think Gatlin will be a bit disappointed in how he ran his last 50.

Great track and field (like today and yesterday's long jump) - I love it. Best sport to watch.

I have goosebumps writing this as I wait in the huge line outside of olympic stadium to get on the train with hundreds of people chanting Usain bolt, Usain bolt!

That was incredible, clearly not his best but it's about winning at this stage. 3 straight gold medals in the 100m is something I didn't think I'd see and to be here tonight in rio has blown me away.

BUT....that 400m run by Van Neikerk is simply astonishing. I'm lost for words having witnessed that. One of the greatest ever sprint performances of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back