Summer RIO 2016 - Ch7 Olympic Coverage Discussion Thread (All Complaints Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im.trying to watch the closing ceremony but this commentary is really bad. It's all over the place.

Did Bruce leave Brazil?
Bruce will be off stalking Usain Bolt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish the ABC would have full radio and tv rights..their commentary in the radio sphere was excellent once again.

I could live with Peter Walsh doing basketball. Whateley calling swimming was brilliant, but, he would even better with the athletics. They might even coax Tim Lane to come back.

They were very good overall. Mentioned earlier that I thought Patrick Johnson at the athletics was good. Can't take Peter Walsh in any shape or form though, radio goes off when he is on, just terrible.

I would not be surprised if seven got death threats and snipers at the window. This coverage is/was woeful, made me want to self destruct. Show me sports that actually represent the Olympics, and not the same crap i see every weekend. Team sports(most) need to be cut.

Yep that was my main issue with the coverage (that and dressage taking over a whole channel for days at a time).

I only get the chance to watch stuff like Olympic weightlifting and indoor volleyball once every 4 years, and instead they filled their channels with the same soccer, basketball, golf etc, that I can watch any time.

It's a shame ch7 didnt want to show events like weightlifting, handball, wrestling or volleyball instead covered the most common sports we watch throughout the year like golf.
We all associate events like weightlifting with the Olympics, these events are an important part the games but ch7 failed to showcase them. I know we had the app but the network can at least try to promote the other sports as well.

Total agree with the disappointment in regards to sports shown, obviously channel 7 concentrate on sports with Aussies competing but we miss put on seeing so many great moments, with the time difference I didn't get to watch half as much as I would have liked.

Absolutely horrendous. They had at one time on two of their three stations, the EXACT same rowing event. ROWING!! who gives a s**t.

Refused to give air time to weightlifting or track cycling, they did a good job on the swimming thats it.

I really hope foxtel buy the rights next year. In 2012 they had I think 13 channels, every event was on these clowns have no idea.

And they banned anyone from saying Olympic Games. Get ****ed.

Let's start a change.org petition.
Please do it. Ill gladly sign and provide links to other forums like OCAU and WP.

If Basil replaces Commetti as the #1 commentator for footy next season ill actually start syncing radio broadcasts with the TV.

Impact upon other broadcasters
The fact that Seven, a free-to-air broadcaster, has created a subscription service as part of its portfolio raises many questions.

Andrew Maiden, chief executive of the subscription television industry body ASTRA, said:

This development proves the absurdity of a rule that bans subscription TV from buying the Olympics but allows so-called free-to-air networks to charge Australians to watch.

Adding that:

Seven has proven for the world to see that the anti-siphoning schemecannot continue to exist in an online world. The exploitation of this loophole is only possible because the mechanism was drafted 20 years ago, before the internet was a twinkle in the regulator’s eye.

Seven is reported to have paid between A$150 million and A$170 million for the Olympic rights, far less than the recent AFL rights (A$2.508 billion over six years). And only a small sum when compared with NBC’s US$7.75 billion Olympic media rights contract for the games through to 2032.

from: http://indaily.com.au/sport/2016/06...pic-coverage-signal-the-end-of-free-tv-sport/

Interesting read, I didnt know the details relating to ch7 buying the Olympic rights and restricting other broadcasters from using their coverage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back