RIP: Obituaries, memorials and things like that

Remove this Banner Ad

The obituary thread, in all honesty, is TAITA's idea.

I've copied a slew of posts over from the random discussion thread of recent notable deaths.

Doesn't have to be someone notable - i.e. in the public eye - might be someone you know etc. Could be your dog.

Anyway, post about it here. Discuss it too, if you feel like it.

Re: Random discussion thread.

RIP Christopher Hitches.
I didn't agree with everything he (or his brother, for that matter) wrote but his books & articles were always very readable & his interviews, especially the ones when he was well & truely under the weather, were very entertaining.

A sad loss.

I didn't agree with everything he (or his brother, for that matter) wrote but his books & articles were always very readable & his interviews, especially the ones when he was well & truely under the weather, were very entertaining.

A sad loss.

Yeah, same. But he was a thinker and articulated himself so well.

It's a shame that our politicians don't have the depth of intellect and clarity of thought as someone like Hitch.

Vaclav Havel died yesterday. With Hitch, that's two great intellectuals, and in Havel's case, politician, who have died in the last couple of days.

Kin Jong II Sung has died.

What a legend...

The son of Kim Il Sung, North Korea's founder, Kim was a chain-smoking recluse who ruled for 17 years after coming to power in July 1994 and resisted opening up to the outside world in order to protect his regime.
Kim was born, according to his official biographers, in a mountain cabin in North Korea in February 1942, an occasion marked by a double rainbow and a bright star.
Jong-il-200x0.jpg
North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. Photo: Reuters

But other records said he was actually born in Siberia in 1941, the BBC reported. His father had been exiled to Siberia.
He is believed to be a fan of Hollywood movies and reportedly had a library of 20,000 films, the BBC said.

Other official reports about Kim included claims that he had shot 11 holes-in-one the first time he picked up a golf club, that he could alter the weather just using his mind and that he had started walking at three-weeks-old and talking at eight weeks, London's Daily Telegraph reported.

Kim Jong – yes he is dead. Would not be surprised is he was already dead a while back, not sure when his last appearance was.

For fans of ‘Team America’ you will remember the comedy of Kim Jong......hilarious.

This guy is a nutcase, from what we hear, his successor (‘his son’), is just as much of a fruitcake as his old man. Lets see if he will let a million people starve to death like his old man. Will be interesting to see Sth Korea’s response, I am sure they will be on their tippy toes looking out for a rocket coming their way, no one will know. I just hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for this place, their people have suffered long enough. Unfortunately, I don’t see the people of Nth Korea finding the courage to protest like the ‘Arab Spring’, as they will all be blown to hell in a minute.

Could we be in for a war between north and south korea? It will be deep s**t, if yes for these two countries and the US as well. Remember, nth and south korea are officially still at war.

Fast becoming the obituary thread grizz, so who am I to deviate?

[YOUTUBE]nZdBtt0hlls[/YOUTUBE]

I just wanted to express my sadness at the loss of Jason Richards - extremely talented steerer, family man and honestly, all round good guy.

Though many in the football supporting world do not relate to motor racing at all - this interview epitomises the character and bravery Jason had in battling his disease.

That he took part in a golf pro-am the day before his death is a testamount to his courage and desire to make the most of every single day.

RIP Jason - taken far too young.

Yeah, it is suddenly an obituary thread... which gives me an idea...

Sad, yes, I saw that on the weekend. way too young.

Fast becoming the obituary thread grizz, so who am I to deviate?

[youtube]nZdBtt0hlls[/youtube]

I just wanted to express my sadness at the loss of Jason Richards - extremely talented steerer, family man and honestly, all round good guy.

Though many in the football supporting world do not relate to motor racing at all - this interview epitomises the character and bravery Jason had in battling his disease.

That he took part in a golf pro-am the day before his death is a testamount to his courage and desire to make the most of every single day.

RIP Jason - taken far too young.

TAITA, a mate of mine (I work with him) knew Jason well on a professional and personal level. He went to the funeral today - said it was extremely touching.

He has nothing but good words about Jason Richards. Said that in the motorsport circles Jason was a real inspiration. No one knows how he actually continued to drive. Said he was tested frequently whether he was medically ok to drive - amazingly enough he was. He also said that even Jason had a particularly aggressive cancer going around - incidentally, there are only around 10 patients in Australia and none in Melbourne suffering from it - that
he managed to do what he loved doing right up until the last day or so.
Anyway, just thought you'd want to know that.

TAITA, a mate of mine (I work with him) knew Jason well on a professional and personal level. He went to the funeral today - said it was extremely touching.

He has nothing but good words about Jason Richards. Said that in the motorsport circles Jason was a real inspiration. No one knows how he actually continued to drive. Said he was tested frequently whether he was medically ok to drive - amazingly enough he was. He also said that even Jason had a particularly aggressive cancer going around - incidentally, there are only around 10 patients in Australia and none in Melbourne suffering from it - that
he managed to do what he loved doing right up until the last day or so.
Anyway, just thought you'd want to know that.

Thanks GM - appreciate the feedback.

I never had the opportunity of meeting Jason personally, but by cheezus - he was not only a great racer, but a true gentleman in a sport where we have to talk/make up controversy because there is none.

3 time NZ Touring Car Champion, 3 time Bathurst runner up in inferior equipment (even though he could have driven for a top team, he wanted to bring his team 'up' with him) - champion driver and champion bloke.

The world needs more Jason Richards methinks.

Vale.

EDIT: His first of those Bathurst Runners Up was with Jamie Whincup at Tasman Motorsport - for those who don't know, Jamie is a staunch Hawks supporter, and if he didn't take a different path, would have been playing AFL all things going well.

Re: Obituaries, memorials and things like that

Thought I should acknowledge the passing of Frank Bourke father of Francis (Richmond Champ).

I met Frank on numerous occasions through Francis' brothers and he was a true Gentleman.

Did not see Frank play the game but believe he played similar to Francis - no nonsense and straight at the ball.

RIP Frank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I shought acknowledge the passing of Frank Bourke father of Francis (Richmond Champ).

I met Frank on numerous occasions through Francis' brothers and he was a true Gentleman.

Did not see Frank play the game but believe he played similar to Francis - no nonsence and straight at the ball.

RIP Frank

I had a fair bit to do with Frances a number of years ago (post his footy career). One of the most straight up honest genuine blokes I've had the pleasure of meeting. You'd think he got a lot of that from his old man.

Frances Bourke, Robbie Flower & Ross Glendinning - three blokes who where at the peak of their powers in the early to mid 80's but still managed to find their way up to Kyneton (an hour and a half drive each way in the day) for bugger all more than petrol money to present some star struck kids (in a Carlton zone) with trophies.

My commiserations and respect to the Bourke family.

Actor/gameshow host Richard Dawson has died.

He sent up his gameshow persona in one of my favourite movies, Running Man.

260659-the-running-man.jpg

Funnily enough, the movie was almost prescient about the reality tv genre.

KILLER LINES: Killian's Running Man highlights
Killian: Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division.
------
Killian: This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, Ben, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, Ben, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for 30 years.
-------
Killian: Who loves you and who do you love?
-------
Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger): Killian! I'll be back!
Killian: Only in a rerun.
-------
Richards, after killed one of the bad guys: Hey Killian! Here's Subzero! Now . . . plain zero!

Killian: Ladies and gentlemen, this is just horrible. Words can't express what we're all feeling at this very moment. A great champion has fallen. We'll be back right after these important messages.

More here.

Actor/gameshow host Richard Dawson has died.

He sent up his gameshow persona in one of my favourite movies, Running Man.

260659-the-running-man.jpg

Funnily enough, the movie was almost prescient about the reality tv genre.

KILLER LINES: Killian's Running Man highlights
Killian: Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division.
------
Killian: This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, Ben, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, Ben, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for 30 years.
-------
Killian: Who loves you and who do you love?
-------
Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger): Killian! I'll be back!
Killian: Only in a rerun.
-------
Richards, after killed one of the bad guys: Hey Killian! Here's Subzero! Now . . . plain zero!

Killian: Ladies and gentlemen, this is just horrible. Words can't express what we're all feeling at this very moment. A great champion has fallen. We'll be back right after these important messages.

More here.

Don't forget his role as Newkirk on Hogan's Heroes. RIP

Maybe it's in bad taste but I was on the limbo club when BF was down and they had a vale Davey Jones from the Monkees thread.

A few of the wits came up with.............................

He's taken the last train to Carksville
I heard his death on the radio, later on at home I turned on the TV, then I saw his face and now I'm a bereaver.
I bet he gets buried in a locker
See what happens when you monkee around that long.

Personally I loved Davey Jones and the Monkees, and I hope everyone sees the lighter side of things.

We get tied up worshipping total wannabes that can't even make it into their thirties let alone become serious musicians - your Amy WineHouse types, but only the truly devoted hear of the deaths of the great musicians of this world.

RIP Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons - founding members of the proven greatest band in the world. Sadly missed.

Prominent Big Footy poster, Crackers, passed away today. Don't know any details, but there's a tribute thread up on the Collingwood Board.

Good bloke, good poster. Will be missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back