Rise of the Machines - Ask an IT Question Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking to buy a new tv on a budget.

Can some one tell me what the difference is between an LED LCD tv and QLED tv please.

I hope this helps, and I'm no expert by any stretch but this should be close...

QLED technology is simply a different way to emit the light needed to produce a picture. Typically the biggest advantage is that even though there are variations in their use, QLED use smaller nano particles to emit the light meaning that the picture is made up of smaller "dots" which should give better clarity.

In terms evolution of screens you had LCD, LED, Quantum Dot, QLED and subjectively OLED as the pinnacle. Some will argue that pure QLED would be as good as OLED.

Most cheaper QLED TV's use a blend of technologies that mean it's a compromise but it's a good bet it will be a better picture than LED LCD.

My strongest advice though - especially for sports - is regardless of screen type try and get a major brand - and a high refresh rate. Basically the picture is only as good as the processor. Plenty of great screens are let down by crap processing which creates juddery, blurry images - especially on free to air low res channels. Most of the major brands - especially Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic - do a good job straight out of the box. But they also have a million settings to let you adjust and "smooth" things yourself. Lesser brands are crap to start with and give you less options to fix it.

Basically - buy the best you can afford and put quality before size if need be. Buy last years models because apart from software usually not a lot changes for the new year apart from price. Hope that helps.

I hope this helps, and I'm no expert by any stretch but this should be close...

QLED technology is simply a different way to emit the light needed to produce a picture. Typically the biggest advantage is that even though there are variations in their use, QLED use smaller nano particles to emit the light meaning that the picture is made up of smaller "dots" which should give better clarity.

In terms evolution of screens you had LCD, LED, Quantum Dot, QLED and subjectively OLED as the pinnacle. Some will argue that pure QLED would be as good as OLED.

Most cheaper QLED TV's use a blend of technologies that mean it's a compromise but it's a good bet it will be a better picture than LED LCD.

My strongest advice though - especially for sports - is regardless of screen type try and get a major brand - and a high refresh rate. Basically the picture is only as good as the processor. Plenty of great screens are let down by crap processing which creates juddery, blurry images - especially on free to air low res channels. Most of the major brands - especially Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic - do a good job straight out of the box. But they also have a million settings to let you adjust and "smooth" things yourself. Lesser brands are crap to start with and give you less options to fix it.

Basically - buy the best you can afford and put quality before size if need be. Buy last years models because apart from software usually not a lot changes for the new year apart from price. Hope that helps.
Panasonic OLEDs are the way to go IMO.
Thanks guys.

Really shopping to a budget.

I’m looking at either:

https://www.rtedwards.com.au/televi...pPt6VXSul1IC1vQujLSSMCn_Tn4pcOJBoC1vYQAvD_BwE

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-12163...SnPhfWp3_4L94eVz7ZC3Bp4AQyZoXPwBoCZMQQAvD_BwE

My wife is looking at:

https://www.buysmarte.com.au/samsun...Ul33QEOoBEAovbDVU6ifjN1el7kXWi0RoCKD0QAvD_BwE

The only thing I would say about Samsungs (based on experience) is some models don't play well with HDMI sound connections. I have had two soundbars fail in that area (although Bluetooth and theoreticallly optical cable work OK).

regardless of what one you buy i'd suggest trying out the menu system and (if you don't have foxtel) the tv guide system. I've never had a tv where the picture quality really bugged me but i've had a couple where the menus and tv guide and the way it changed channels pissed me off no end to thepoint i dumped it.

Ugh the motherboard in my PC has fallen over by the looks of things. Anyone recommend a southeast mob to not only buy replacement parts but also install at a reasonable price?

Anyone had that sort of work done through Computer Alliance at Mt Gravatt? What about the mob in Carindale.

I don't mind Computer Alliance. I have only ever bought from them, never needed servicing - but they are a pretty reputable group.

I'm ok with Umart for buying, but I have heard mixed experiences about their servicing. More bad than good for MSY. And don't even think about GameDude.

Last edited:
What's the age of the motherboard? I just recently had the same issue, but my 4.5 year old motherboard meant that I couldn't just replace that part but had to go CPU & ram as well. If it's less than 3 years old you can probably look at a claim under australian consumer law for repair/replacement from your original retailer.

Ok guys, our Panasonic doesn’t support Disney+.

So we are looking for a device that will allow us to mirror or stream Disney+ on our tv.

Appreciate any advice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back