Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just had a call from one business colleague offering me medallion club tickets and another offering me corporate box seats.
How well am I going. :p
happy to take em off your hands......

was there with a bunch of drunk, disinterested kiwis..........not choice bro.........
Was there also, never forget that smart arse Schwarz running into an open goal holding the ball above his head in the 2nd quarter, we dominated from that moment on for about an hour and never put them away !!
Kouta out injured and Bradley a late withdrawal didn’t help.

We were flying along that season until that infamous Friday night blockbuster in round 20....

******* *FC....

I think the biggest consideration here is what do we do with our Ruck's.

In reality I don't think Pittonet can keep up with Gawn around the ground (based on limited footage and subject to how they come back from the shutdown) and TDK would be able to keep up with him but is nowhere near strong enough.

Melbourne are known for winning contested ball and struggling with speed and spread.

It would be a big risk but I would consider having Levi as the solo ruckman (assuming big Harry is right to play) and bring in more speed around the ball.

I don't think we can contest with Gawn around the ground or in the ruck so it might be worth tackling it another way. :D

Gawn would smash Casboult who is ultimately a back-up ruck.

Definitely go with Pittonet who should have the strength to at least compete and somewhat negate Gawn like he did Grundy in the pre-season.

Gawn would smash Casboult who is ultimately a back-up ruck.

Definitely go with Pittonet who should have the strength to at least compete and somewhat negate Gawn like he did Grundy in the pre-season.
Agree we need to play Pittonet. I’m a big fan of TDK’s potential but he can’t be put up against Gawn. Gawn will rag doll him. Pitto can at least knock him around and make it difficult for him. Think Cas will do well against McDonald who will probably back up ruck for them.

This is a very winnable game. I think we might struggle against the Cats down at GMHBA so it’s important we find a win against the Dees. Starting the season 0-3 would be disappointing. We’ve done that way too often. We need to start the season well to keep up our momentum from the back end of last year

Yeah I tend to think that pitto needs to come in, along with Eddie and Mackay. Not sure on the outs for Mackay and betts tho??
I think we’re a real shot against the dees and it’s a crucial game for us specially fronting up against cats down there the week after! Win this and go 1-1 which will give us a lot more confidence early on to get stuck into the next few rounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty sure it’s been stated that Fisher and Newman should be close to being available, they would have to have some solid training work behind them to be considered... McKay and Betts nobrainers, DeKoning takes over Kruezers spot and tandems with Casboult, Fisher and Newman play if all good too go...

Ins
DeKoning
McKay
Betts

Outs
Kruezer
Gibbons
Depending on injury/availability

If they don’t get up
Fisher / O’Brien
Newman / Williamson

B- Simpson Jones Plowman
B- Docherty Weitering Newman
C- Walsh Cripps Petrevski-seton
F- Cuningham Casboult Martin
F- McGovern McKay Betts
R- DeKoning Setterfield Murphy
I- Silvagni Dow Fisher Curnow
Williamson O’Brien Newnes
Pittonett

I would love to beat Melbourne
it's all about winning with you - what about the health, the spirit, the integrity of the game?

Isn't it glorious that the footy is back. Bring on the Mighty Blues at near full-strnegth (minus Kreuze and Charlie)

FB: Plowman Weitering Docherty
HB: SPS Jones Newman
C: Newnes Cripps Murphy
R: Pittonet Walsh Curnow
HF: Fisher McKay Martin
FF: Betts McGovern Casboult

Int: Simpson, Silvagni, Setterfield, Gibbons

Out: Kreuzer, Dow, Cuningham
IN: Betts, McKay, Pittonet

Emg: O'Brien, Cuningham, Dow

Very tough call on who to play out of O'Brien, Newnes, Cuningham.
You probably should take into account missing fisher and Newman. Dow remains as will cuningham.

Let's go time to fire up Bigfooty!

Pittonet and Casboult will be a very good ruck combo IMO gives us some great size around the stoppages and with Pittonet being only young Casboult will provide great support. He really stepped up last game when Kruze went down. Was trade bait a few years ago but has now become so valuable now being able to play forward, back or in the ruck. These boys need to put Gawn to the sword with some crash and bash ruckwork. Gawn will go in as their sole ruckman so if they can do a number on him it'll be a huge advantage. He will have them for fitness but if they share the load well we can win the ruck battle.

Probably the most shattered I had been up to that point in life, devastation. To Thy definitely not “choice bro“.
carlton-melbourne games of note I can recall and witnessed - the kreuzer cup, the bruise-free footy game, beating us in the last game at pp, that 2000 final.....

Just watched Melbournes Rd1 loss to WC and they where underwhelming to say the least, if we can put pressure on the ball carrier up the ground so they have to go long inside 50 our defence should dominate, Weiters will kill McDonald and Jones should intercept everything coming in long and then rebound out with Doc and Samo.

Will be a Russell vs Burgess fitness battle which I’m backing us to be in better nick as I think they will be overworked by Burgess first up, our forwards can have a day out against there defence which looked disorganised and there midfield defensive running was lazy and selective, Viney should be the job for Ed as he looks really good and angry after being dumped from the captaincy, Langdon can be dangerous if given to much room on the wing and should be the job for Newnes to show his worth.

A must win game for us and one we should put away if we show the resilience of late last year. Blues by 24

PS. Pittonet gets first crack and I think he will do well in the hit outs, has a bit of Mumford about him in terms of mongrel. TDK not quite ready to hold down first ruck against Gawn better to try him out against an English for his first taste.

Last edited:
After Weitering played on and smashed lynch I’m not sure we need to worry about melbs tall forwards McDonald and Mitch brown. Lol.

There wings have improved with Langdon and Tomlinson slightly which are hardened and mature in comparison to ours and there small forwards will need some work in Fritsch and melksham. But remember we had no Docherty last time at the G when we lost by 2 points.

Petracca has slightly improved which probably should be our tagging option for Ed. Or we could use SOS on him. No need tagging oliver as he will gets smashed going head to head to Cripps and fumble and turn it over by hands. He never runs and carries.

jetta will need to be accountable for Eddie, cunners and Martin. Handful for their small defenders. And OMacDonald May and Lever are slow KP defenders which shouldnt be able to match mcgovern mckay for speed not Mckay cas in the air.

there round 1 team played an under strength west coast which played with them whereas we had the fast Richmond on their favourite deck. I nearly wish we had this matchup directly after round 1 and I’d lock it in for a win. The gap in time helps our list immensely.

match-ups win/loss

May - Casboult ❓
Lever - McGovern ✔️
McDonald - Mckay ✔️
Harmes - Martin ✔️
Hibberd - Cuningham ❌
Jetta - Betts❓

Gawn - Pittonet ❌
Oliver - Cripps ✔️✔️✔️
Petracca - Curnow❓
Langdon - Walsh ✔️
Viney - SPS❓
Tomlinson - Newnes❓

McDonald - Jones ✔️
Weitering - Brown ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
Neal-Bullen - Docherty ✔️✔️✔️
Melksham - Plowman ❌
Fritsch - Simpson❓
Pickett - Newman ✔️

Brayshaw - Murphy❓
spargo - Setterfield/Fisher ✔️
Bedford - Dow/Gibbons ✔️
Lockhart/Bennell - SOS ✔️/❓

Guaranteed losses with Gawn Hibberd and melksham I’d say but the rest mostly wins. What we think??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back