Roger Federer is not the GOAT

Remove this Banner Ad

If you could translate poetry or art into the sporting arena, Federer is it. The most elegant sportsperson I've ever seen. I think that is partly why people love him so much.

Whilst agreeing with you I would go further. His elegance and physical poetry are not just "partly" why people respect him. They are the essence of the reason why. I am a half hearted tennis fan at best but I love watching him.

Whether or not he is statistically the GOAT is of little interest to me. I think he is miles ahead in the truly important aspect of aesthetic appeal and physical grace......the essence of sporting greatness.

I think Djokovic can still equal him, 6 behind is a lot but if he is committed to it he will go very close. Would obviously need to pick up a couple this year though.

To equal him Novak needs 6 Majors. No man has won 6 majors from the age Novak now is. He CAN do it but almost certainly won't. This includes Fed himself.

He would need to get the bulk of them this year and next, if he ends this year on say 14 you can't rule him out. Novak can be very streaky with his dominance, it's all a question of whether or not he has the hunger. Can't see Rafa getting more than 2 though.

As for Federer in the past few years if anything he has been unlucky running into a hot djoker. Hell fed would have won it last year if Djokovic didn't take him out in the semis, it's not like he's been miles off the whole time.

Djokovic will be playing week 2 slam tennis for the bulk of the next 4 years provided he wants to, the opportunities will be there.

If you could translate poetry or art into the sporting arena, Federer is it. The most elegant sportsperson I've ever seen. I think that is partly why people love him so much.
Sampras had the same athletic attributes, graceful and catlike reflexes

I don't think he will either, but I was sure he was gone and his days of going deep in tournaments were over.
Djokovic is the more likely to catch him than rafa, he blew his chance last night. At best i can see him getting to 16. Djokovic could easily win at least 2 grand slams a year the next 2 to 3 years which will get him almost there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Djokovic is the biggest threat to Federer's records at the moment. It's not some crazy thought that he could continue to be a major force in mens tennis for another 5 years or so and pick up 1-2 slams each season. But it'd take an unprecedented number of wins after 30 and he'd be at long odds to do it. At some point the younger guys are going to start winning slams and if 1 or 2 of them are destined to be greats of the game themselves that could shut the door for Novak. I mean surely there will be at least 1 or 2 greats of the game born in the decade after Djokovic and Murray.

I agree that Djokovic is the biggest threat to Federer's records at the moment. It's not some crazy thought that he could continue to be a major force in mens tennis for another 5 years or so and pick up 1-2 slams each season. But it'd take an unprecedented number of wins after 30 and he'd be at long odds to do it. At some point the younger guys are going to start winning slams and if 1 or 2 of them are destined to be greats of the game themselves that could shut the door for Novak. I mean surely there will be at least 1 or 2 greats of the game born in the decade after Djokovic and Murray.

Maester with respect it is utterly unprecedented for any player now Djokovic's age to take 1 to 2 slams a year in the next 5 years of his career. No one has done it. No one has come close. It simply doesn't happen.

I don't think it'll be too long before Zverev starts collecting some slams. Grigor is on the verge too, Murray still has a few years to bank as many as he can. Saying that, if Novak overtakes Federer I'd be quite surprised.

Hes defintely the best that Ive seen, record speaks for itself and hes the best to watch.

I flip and flop on that. Grace wise Federer is as easy on the eye as anyone who has ever loved. No one can deny that.

But in much the same way as I was fascinated by Shiv Chanderpaul and his odd batting style, I am fascinated by watching Rafa muscle the ball where he wants it. He puts shots into positions that logic should dictate they can't go. I think he's amazing to watch. I rate Djokovic massively but aesthetically he does nothing for me.

Maester with respect it is utterly unprecedented for any player now Djokovic's age to take 1 to 2 slams a year in the next 5 years of his career. No one has done it. No one has come close. It simply doesn't happen.

Yeah well I did say that! You're responding as if I said I think he'll do it.

I just think to see it as next to no chance is also wrong. I mean Federer himself has now won 2 slams after 30 and got close on several other occasions in between, only being beaten by other, younger greats of the game (between his last 2 slam wins he lost in 5 semi finals and 3 finals!). Djokovic, if fully motivated and injury free will probably get to plenty more semi finals and finals himself, and from there who knows. And in his case no younger greats of the game have identified themselves yet! He does look after himself incredibly well and tennis in general is becoming an older man's game than it has been in the past. Just look at how many guys over 30 are in the top 100 now compared to 15+ years ago, and how few teenagers there are. And consider someone like Radek Stepanek who's now 38 and playing almost as well as he ever has. Improvements in sports science have allowed these guys to play at the top level for longer and to write Djokovic off would not be right. He might not decline that much in the next 5 years.

There's a formula?
yep. you hit the ball very hard inside the court.

there is a reason everyone rode off Fed and Nadal before this tournament. age has caught up with both of them. dont get me wrong, on their they can beat anyone. but another player on their day can beat them as well.

playing and winning 8 matches in a row is not easy and you need a lot of luck to go your way. we live in a age of dominance in both the mens and womens game(by one person). but the womens game(when Serena doesnt win) is the norm for tennis. lots of different winners.

There's a formula?

He stands on the base line and connects with the ball earlier than in previous years. It gives him the upper hand in a lot more points against the power players. Class wise he's the best of all time. I could imagine him beating Nadal more often using this tactic. Hopefully he's playing when he's 40 :D

Feds can win 2-3 more. He now has the formula to beat Nadal and Djokovich

There is no doubt the courts being faster this year helped Roger, courts have been slowed down considerably the last 10-15 years. Even the grass at Wimbledon has been slowed right down to advantage the baseline players.
Clay should be the only slow court, the rest should be all fast courts especially Wimbledon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back