Media Rookie Round Table [Finals Preview Edition]

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Welcome to the Rookie Round Table Finals Edition.

giphy.gif

This is now media piece #5 for the #RRT - a series that celebrates and recognises the up and coming posters; the future of the Sweet FA.

Now well and truly at the business end of the season, the Finals have begun for S25 and it’s our first time seeing it unfold. Congrats to the Roys, Hawks, Bombers and Swamprats on their wins on the weekend.

What we want to do this week, however – aside from general kudos – is to take a semi-critical look at the six sides still in the hunt, and prophesise just how far they can go.

Once again, we’ve assembled this great group of rookies on board to help preview the finals – looking at the various elements making up the top six and their impact across Season 25, including: posting performance; sim chances for a flag win; key posters; and the teams’ big wins. Over you, team.

M411: Finals have begun, rookies! Some of us have been lucky enough to already taste that sweet ‘September’ victory. Let’s have a look at the remaining six teams and their chances for the Season 25 Sweet FA title.

First up, let’s start with SarahSmiles and the Swamprats.

184662.jpg

Posting performance across S25

The Swamprats are a top posting side in the SFA and have heaps of quality posters such as sportsmaniac89and GotTheGoodes.
Chances of a GF berth and flag based on S25 form with the sim

None, they're getting knocked out this Sunday.

Key players/posters on and off the field

Ant Bear, GotTheGoodes and sportsmaniac89 are the key players for the Swamprats. I've forgotten the others.

'Big Wins' of the season (on/off field)

The team was great off the field this season but needs to improve on their finals Qooty.

*this was written before the Wonders were knocked out by the Swamprats*

Next up, por_please_ya took an insightful look at the Dragons FFC.
77003.jpg

Overall, the Dragons didn’t do TOO badly in their match threads, but there is much room for improvement as they ranked 9th in the competition. Having no rookies and only running with the minimum 23 players didn’t help things I suspect.

Finishing as minor premiers could be a blessing or a curse, as legend has it, nobody has won the Grand Final after finishing Top Spot. But could this be the Year of the Dragon? They lost to my team, East Side Hawks, on the weekend but have another shot against the Bombers in the Elimination Final on Sunday.

Blaze Storm is arguably the best ruckman in the competition (YearOfTheRoos will contest this). #1 in kicks (I came second…), #2 in hitouts, #2 in disposals etc. Surely he’s a shoo-in for the Mobbs Medal? He makes a confident and capable captain. Other notable players include mike123, PhenomenalV1, Hatchy1992, The Half Back and WFL, who was their top poster, finishing 19th in the competition.

Most of their wins this season were fairly close games and not really any big blow outs. However their last game against the Royals meant they effectively kicked Blacky and his cronies out of the finals.

Excellent! Third up we’ve got GotTheGoodes taking a raking eye over the Roys.
97308.jpg

In pure numbers the Roys came in 3rd, only just behind the Swampies & Furies. However, they topped the league in average posters per week as well as lowest # inactive posters – a true sign of a well-functioning, well led & happy team. I Dont Care was the main chicko roller however there were a good handful of other posters every week chipping in. [Overall, S25 was] a really high quality posting season by the Gorillas.

At the end of the regular season, the Roys were only held out of top 2 on percentage. Their 3rd place can be largely attributed to their fantastic form early which really set them up with a very solid base moving into a more unpredictable 2nd half of the season. With 3 losses from 5 leading into finals I thought maybe their form was slipping but the win last week was very impressive. If the Swampies don't go all the way then my money is on the Roys.

Such an even team with quality from the captain right down to the rookies. Statistically, fitzroybowiedog led the way, finishing 3rd overall for DT & kicks. He also was first overall in Frees For (so assuming his kicks were off the ball...).

Making finals. Recruiting & structuring their list really well. Being a genuinely great team to banter with. Enjoying biscuits as much as me. All big wins to me!

Great work Roys. Much love. GTG.

Now onto star Wonders rookie U2tigers and his preview of the Hawks.
33342.jpg

The Hawks started very strongly in the season, but regarding the power of posting performance got a bit of fatigue in the later matches. With their match threads declining in activity. Loonerty needs to recruit a few more active posters as the Hawks do carry quite a few inactives on the list. The Hawks do however have a very powerful core of top posters.

The Hawks were the dominant side of the competition in the first 11 rounds or so, and then the Sim did the right thing by everyone and put these upstarts back into their proper place. The Hawks won't be scared of any side in the competition, and maybe just maybe, these late losses are the losses they needed to have to freshen themselves up for a huge flag tilt. Winning last week to earn a week off has done their chances no harm, and are the favourites for the flag right now. The Wonders are the only team who could stop them.

I won't give stats, but will say the Hawks experienced big 3 of Loonerty , The Filth Wizard and Noobz0r(sorry BRAB) set a good example for this team, with some really class posters coming through in NinjaSwan and rookies YearOfTheRoos and por_please_ya . But the best thing to happen to the Hawks poster wise is the permaban of El Dubya, they are such a better side without him.

Locking themselves into a Prelim final is always a good thing, and they were a class side all year and deserve the chance. I find a big win off the field comes, after the spat with the Dragons and a few posters. I won't say their backs were against the wall, as they were pretty fired up defending their brand, and rightly so. I personally went into the game against the Hawks thinking this is going to be a long week, but walked out thinking this was one of the best match threads I have been apart of. Playing the Hawks is an enjoyable prospect and in the end thats what the SFA is about.

Next up, YearOfTheRoos takes his shot looking at the fortunes of my mob – the glorious Bombers.
157978.jpg

Some real quality posters on the list led from the front by their captain, easily my favourite match thread of the year. The team combines well and provide a good blend of Qooty banter mixed with a healthy dose personal attacks that leave most opposition on edge. A week in Baghdad requires the mental strength of a navy seal, the wit of Oscar Wilde and the balls of one of those ball pits that has lots of balls.

They are in with a shot but Qooty can be cruel, Given they are on the easy side of the draw making the GF isn't out of the question. If they do make the big dance the real question is can they make it past the Hawks?
No. No they can't

If you haven't heard about the finals performance of Tony Lynn 15 and the self-proclaimed ‘Mr September’ in TheCoach16 you probably have them on ignore and I can't say I blame you. KohPhi is the brains of the organisation and what he lacks in this department isn't helped by CALL ME SNAKE. Since moving to the ruck Matty411 has flourished and boasts the second highest average hit outs per game.

Making the finals and winning the first week is a good start in their Quest for another flag. And they have been a strong unit all season. There biggest achievement off field this season is the signing of Argus Tuft for Season 26. The juggernaut rolls on and their list continues to grow in strength and notoriety.

Finally, bringing up the rear is EKA favourite BLERN from the Warriors, who ran his eye over the West Coast Wonders.

176932.jpg

The Wonders have been a powerhouse of arrogance throughout season 25, and I don't mean that in a negative way. They are a fantastic team full of fantastic posters, and the sim generally seems to reward them. Led by the #1 League Captain in haydo (as voted by his peers) and 2 of the top ranked rookies in U2tigers and SarahSmiles, the Wonders have been an aggressive force in many aspects of the SFA.

This is the interesting question here. The Wonders have been a favourite of the sim for most of the season. But have had a couple of weeks in a row where they have been taunted by the sim. Is it just a cruel trolling by the sim that is destined to end in #straightsets or will they make it to #Firsttosix? Given my predictions in last week Rookie Round Table didn't have them in the GF, I am going to say that they’ll get a win this week but a loss next.

U2tigers - a standout season from Bono. With an average of just under 100 posts per match thread, he has been ever present all season and has been one of the top contributors league wide in media, match threads and a poster to aspire to be like for all s25 rookies.

SarahSmiles - SS came onto the scene in an interesting way. A couple of weeks of turmoil that left the league guessing and left him with the moniker of "Haro" – a name nobody would particularly want attached to them. He has become a fantastic Rookie as he has developed and is going to be a poster to watch in the future.

haydo - The captain of the year, not just because of what he has done internally, but largely due to his presence within match threads. Would the Wonders have been the force they have been all season without him? It’s possible but I think the rookies have become far better posters due to his influence.

Elton Johns Wig - EJW is the type of player/poster that every team needs. He is a fantastic player and poster who not only offers fantastic guidance and leadership. He is also a great contributor to the league as well. The rookies at the Wonders have been amazing this year and EJW is a big part of that.

JT_the_Man - One of their best on field players who has had a fantastic season, leading the club for disposals and marks. I would go so far as to say that the Wonders would have been screwed without him. But that would cost him more #JTMedal votes than he would offer. So I’m not going to say that.

The Wonders have had some very big and some very important wins throughout the season over fellow contenders but for mine, looking at it with hindsight the round 5 win over the Roys looks to be one of the more satisfying.

West Coast Wonders 23.12 (150) defeated Roys FFC 15.18 (108)
There has been some fantastic games for the wonders this year and some that were hard to fathom. We won’t go into the round 16 game because that has been fairly thoroughly discussed already.

Right, that’s it – now the games begin where in just a few short days, six will become four. The game is on!

giphy.gif

Just a quick shoutout to the guys and gals who’ve joined me at the #RookieRoundTable this season. These guys are sure to feature highly in the Dingster-led Rising Star and EKA voting coming up and they have my genuine support.

Cheers BLERN, U2tigers, GotTheGoodes, por_please_ya, SarahSmiles and YearOfTheRoos.

Such a lovefest. You rookies should be at each other's throats rather than padding Mattynumbers' EKA credentials.

WE PAID FOR BLOOD!
If Matty411 wins I am claiming it to. I am pretty sure the powers to be, will see this has been a joint venture, with matty gripping it up.

Such a lovefest. You rookies should be at each other's throats rather than padding Mattynumbers' EKA credentials.

WE PAID FOR BLOOD!
Matty deserves the votes that he gets for his efforts throughout the season. I find it unlikely that people are voting for him based on things that a collective group of people are saying in one thread.

If they are, then more fool us for participating in something as a group of exceptional rookies working together

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looking at the fortunes of my mob – the glorious Bombers.

KohPhi is the brains of the organisation and what he lacks in this department isn't helped by CALL ME SNAKE. Since moving to the ruck Matty411 has flourished and boasts the second highest average hit outs per game.
Ive been looking at that line about me for 15 minutes.
294.jpg

Not sure if its a compliment or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back