List Mgmt. Rory Lobb

Remove this Banner Ad

Or WCE are the next Geelong. One bad season and bang.

Everyone knows clubs will go after GWS players like there is no tomorrow. Still a salary cap to fit everyone. Not every midfielder will be able to be paid 800k.
That's why we let Teloar go. If we paid him to stay Cog's and Shiel,who were offerred the same money initially,would have to get more too. Then the price of everyone would increase way beyond the cap. We're a destination club and the guys will opt to stay for success, and because the club is bloody good at what it does. Part of that is looking after the players well.

Tommo was apparently dead keen on moving to Carlton last year and that has now flipped on its head. I seriously doubt Lobb will be traded even if he asks. A lot can change in 12 months for young men that age. McCarthy is the exception rather than the rule.

But McCarthy didn't give it the 12 months to find out. Cracked the sooks and went home straight away.

Apparently Pav in his book said that he had done basically what McCarthy did (obviously not referencing him) but that he signed an early extension for security, got homesick, didn't want to stay, asked to be traded, the club said no, give it 12 months - and the rest, as they say, is history.

Maybe if McCarthy had stayed the 12 months things might have turned around like they did with Thommo or Pav. Maybe not - we'll never know.

Tommo was apparently dead keen on moving to Carlton last year and that has now flipped on its head. I seriously doubt Lobb will be traded even if he asks. A lot can change in 12 months for young men that age. McCarthy is the exception rather than the rule.

Tommo stated after trade week last year that he had no discussions regarding being traded. He was settled in Sydney and wanted to stay.

Lobb is going to be THAT player for us this year from the looks. A lock in our best 22, on the cusp of lots of success, happy living in Sydney and a popular member of the team (and contracted to boot). But in some deep dark corner of BF, someone notes that Lobb is a West Australian tall who can mark - both WA clubs could do with a tall that can mark. Comments and replies grow into a 20 page thread. A lazy journo who trawls BF for rumours picks it up and gives it a one line mention, then all of a sudden for everyone else, it's from "multiple sources".

If I was the list manager for a club, I would be derelict in my duty not to ask about availability of players at other Clubs. Freo and WCE probably have asked.

I will note that the bulk of reporting on Lobb is "Freo and WCE are interested" - it's not going the other way.

The key response from our end is to offer Lobb a new contract for something close to what he is worth, and see if he re-signs it.

Note Coniglio had this exact same stuff going on between 2012-2014, but the WCE and Freo fans appears to have finally understood that Cogs is, in fact, one of the Giants who defines being a Giant.

Tommo stated after trade week last year that he had no discussions regarding being traded. He was settled in Sydney and wanted to stay.

Lobb is going to be THAT player for us this year from the looks. A lock in our best 22, on the cusp of lots of success, happy living in Sydney and a popular member of the team (and contracted to boot). But in some deep dark corner of BF, someone notes that Lobb is a West Australian tall who can mark - both WA clubs could do with a tall that can mark. Comments and replies grow into a 20 page thread. A lazy journo who trawls BF for rumours picks it up and gives it a one line mention, then all of a sudden for everyone else, it's from "multiple sources".

I can say he is homesick and there is genuine concern in keeping him. It was confirmed to me last Saturday so there is foundation.

He does love the club and the boys and it's nothing to do with the club. He's been a way from home for a very long time.

The club doesn't want to lose him as he is seen as core so efforts are being made but there is a real chance he goes and with the history of WA players for all clubs it's going to be a tough one.

In my eyes he's the closest thing to irreplaceable as his specs are unique.

I don't know. The more I watch of Matt Flynn the more I see a lot of Lobb in him. Not as tall obviously (nobody is) but athletic, great mark, getting better in front of goal, and tap work improving.

Another 12 months while Lobb finishes out his contract and it won't be anywhere near as bad as you might think.

But then again, I want Lobb to stay and he's not going to be on the table this year, and we won't walk out like McCarthy did.

I don't know. The more I watch of Matt Flynn the more I see a lot of Lobb in him. Not as tall obviously (nobody is) but athletic, great mark, getting better in front of goal, and tap work improving.

Another 12 months while Lobb finishes out his contract and it won't be anywhere near as bad as you might think.

But then again, I want Lobb to stay and he's not going to be on the table this year, and we won't walk out like McCarthy did.

I agree on both counts, we ant to keep Rory, but damn Flynn looks likely

I can say he is homesick and there is genuine concern in keeping him. It was confirmed to me last Saturday so there is foundation.

He does love the club and the boys and it's nothing to do with the club. He's been a way from home for a very long time.

The club doesn't want to lose him as he is seen as core so efforts are being made but there is a real chance he goes and with the history of WA players for all clubs it's going to be a tough one.

Ahh, lets just build him a galvanised iron shed in the middle of the sand dunes at cronulla, then dig a mine for him in the backyard. He'll feel right at home. Cam McCarthy might also think twice about leaving. Just need to work out how to get the sun to set over the beach.

...apologies to all my fellow WA based supporters for the stereotype. :D

That kick from Shaw down the wing when he has nothing to kick to, that you know Lobb will mark 90% of times is irreplacable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh, lets just build him a galvanised iron shed in the middle of the sand dunes at cronulla, then dig a mine for him in the backyard. He'll feel right at home. Cam McCarthy might also think twice about leaving. Just need to work out how to get the sun to set over the beach.

...apologies to all my fellow WA based supporters for the stereotype. :D

If he can cope with a river, put him near the quarries in Penrith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back