List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ross is safe now, but if we go a few rounds without a win (I don't think this will happen) or get 2 or more 100+ beltings (Collingwood is looking like #1) then I imagine he'll be getting a stern look. He's safe but if he doesnt improve above 8 wins I'd be shaking in my boots if i was Ross
I can understand why fans think like this, but I hope the club has a longer term view.

Don't you dare go putting me in your basket of hoping for coach killing games.

When Harvey was sacked and Lyon was appointed. I didn't like it. But one of my first comments to friends was, but it's sport and if Lyon starts winning games, all will be quickly forgotten ... because I know how petty and fickle I can be ... just like other Freo supporters ... we are result driven.

The reason I am here defending Lyon, so often, is simply because many of the reasons I read for wanting him gone, I believe to be subjective nonsense. And far too often I have statistical knowledge which infers a very different situation to the narrative that the Lyon posters are stating as if absolute fact.

Just out of interest do you even remember the name of the poster who ...... you know ...... posted the coach killer comment

Do you have us all written down in a little book beside your computer

Pretty weird if you ask me

I think Ross is safe now, but if we go a few rounds without a win (I don't think this will happen) or get 2 or more 100+ beltings (Collingwood is looking like #1) then I imagine he'll be getting a stern look. He's safe but if he doesnt improve above 8 wins I'd be shaking in my boots if i was Ross
There are plenty of other coaches under more pressure than ours

After we bottomed out in 2016 we have had a steady improvement if you really drill down into it. Majority of jounos had us bottom 4 this year and we are doing a lot better than that. A pass mark for '19 would be anywhere from 11-7 position on the ladder. I love to see us scrap into finals though, be a great achievement and validate club is on right trajectory.

It takes time for players to learn each other as well as club game plan and then adjust to rigours of traveling every other week.

I have not seen a blowout this year, just 3 disappointing close losses. And a forgettable 1st qrt against eagles.

Only someone like Hagdorn who really hates Fremantle could not see that things , at the moment are not as bad as he makes out.

Disclaimer: the following is my own opinion.

Ross isn't going anywhere. He is more secure now than this time last year. He will be more secure this time next year than he is right now and with several lucrative offers on his desk. I just hope he picks the one with the Anchor on the front.

Freo is not going back down the bottom of the ladder for a LONG time now. He has done so much hard work and the defensive structures and mindset he is drilling into a young team, while not aesthetically pleasing right now (yes, I wanted to scratch my eyes out the last 3 weeks too), will hold them steady to fall back on in the future when things aren't going the team's way on game day.

When things click forward of centre, and they will, it will come together and we will have a sustained period of success.

Defensive structure must come before attacking mindset.

I’m not so confident. We’ve never really had a solid or coherent or even dangerous or envious forward set up. It was Pav or nothing. Then Taberner or nothing. Now it’s Hogan. I hope you’re right.

Win tomorrow and so many posters will disappear until the next loss . At least the fair minded poster sticks around thru the good and bad.
If we get flogged tomorrow and only kick 5 goals or something even I will look at buying a couple of bricks, patience is starting to wear a bit thin.

If we get flogged tomorrow and only kick 5 goals or something even I will look at buying a couple of bricks, patience is starting to wear a bit thin.

Same for me if we lose badly, I can melt with the best of them but when we win I,m over the moon. Unfortunately some are happy with
the loss and pissed with the win. A win means they can't stick the boots in to all and sundry associated with the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same for me if we lose badly, I can melt with the best of them but when we win I,m over the moon. Unfortunately some are happy with
the loss and pissed with the win. A win means they can't stick the boots in to all and sundry associated with the club.

I'd be happy if we won every week.

I'm unhappy because we are regularly underperforming, not addressing flaws and on top of that, we are generally horrible to watch.

I still hope we win but I have no confidence that Brissie won't stitch us up like the last 2 years

The players don't have a lot of say in it. They are employees and he's the boss. Do you tell your boss at work that he's doing it wrong? You'd just get the sack if you did. If you don't like the way things are going you just leave and look for better opportunities elsewhere, which is what quite a few of our players have done over the last few years.

Man you must work in places with terrible cultures. Everywhere I have worked people have a voice and are part of the business.

Currently I work at a very large multinational and there is a very open culture where people can and do question culture, strategy, and tactics. As an Exec leader I expect my people to challenge my thinking and hold me accountable.

I can’t comment on the culture at Freo with any authority, but I certainly don’t think we should assume that it’s as you describe.

Man you must work in places with terrible cultures. Everywhere I have worked people have a voice and are part of the business.

Currently I work at a very large multinational and there is a very open culture where people can and do question culture, strategy, and tactics. As an Exec leader I expect my people to challenge my thinking and hold me accountable.

I can’t comment on the culture at Freo with any authority, but I certainly don’t think we should assume that it’s as you describe.
Pretty normal, and within any kind of team culture you'd think it would naturally gravitate in that direction. Outside of Lyon specifically, I think Bell is pretty inclusive as well.

Whenever I question strategy or direction I’m tasked with coming up with the solution. So I don’t question things anymore.

At the risk of being accused of damning with faint praise, at least we know our club will handle Lyon's eventual departure, whenever that is, with more nous than Norf, and Ross will present himself ten times better than Scott. What a farce.

At the risk of being accused of damning with faint praise, at least we know our club will handle Lyon's eventual departure, whenever that is, with more nous than Norf, and Ross will present himself ten times better than Scott. What a farce.

Ross to shirtfront Shane at his final press conference? :think:

Yes I agree; do you rate Pyke? The majority on the Adelaide board want him gone asap. Controversial figure.
I am more than happy to answer this. I do live in Adelaide and I do watch the news on how Port and Crows are run. Crows fans can be demanding. The Problem with crows fans, they demand to finish in finals every year. Hell, they still want to rebuild from 7th or 8th spot.

You dont make finals in a season, you have the blow torch on your bum thats for sure.

Crows historically have never had a period of 4-5 years in a row outside the top 8, they wont tolerate it. They have always recruited well, despite losing some quality players in the last 8-10 years.

Look at the crows history, look at all the years since 1991 they dont make finals.... 1991-2, 1994-6, 1999-2000, 2004, 2010-11, 2013-4, 2018.

Usually when Crows coaches get sacked, its due to the falling out on players.

They sacked Graham cornes in 1994 due to falling out on key players. Played a prelim in 1993.

In 1996 they sacked Robert Shaw after 2 years and their worst season in 1996 was 8 wins, 14 defeats and 12th spot. He also had a falling out on key players too.

In 1999, Malcolm Blight wasn't sacked, he left after flags in 1997-8

In 2004, Gary Ayres wasn't sacked, he walked mid season because the crows didn't want to offer him a contract in 2005 but was willing to let him coach the rest of the 2004 season. Crows were 4-9 after 13 games when Ayres left. no finals in 2000 but got them finals from 2001-3 including a prelim in 2002. He too had a falling out on key players.

Neil Craig gave the crows finals from 2005-9. He resigned in 2011 after not giving them finals in 2010 and 2011. Remarkably he didn't have a Falling out on the Playing squad. At the end of 2010, they looked like going through a 2-4 year rebuild because of the Retirements of Andrew McLeod, Simon Goodwin, Tyson Edwards and Brett Burton.

Sanderson gave the crows a prelim in 2012. He was sacked at the end of 2014 after the crows didn't make finals in 2013 and 2014. Sanderson was disliked for being arrogant after the 2012 prelim, But Crows CEO Stephen Trigg was and still is despised for the Kurt Tippet dodgy contract fiasco in 2012. That lead to the crows losing their 1st and 2nd rounders for the 2012 and 2013 season. On top of that, Sanderson was originally out of contract at the end of 2014. Stephen Trigg gave him a 2 year extension until 2016. The crows still sacked him at the end of 2014 with 2 years to go on his contract because Sanderson had a falling out with the players.

So if you go 2 years without making finals at the crows, you are sacked or forced to quit like Robert Shaw, Neil Craig or Sanderson.

People talk about the Crows power stance and the Pre season bull**** at the start of 2018. It did happen but it was played way out of proportion.

Crows in 2017 did play a good attacking brand of footy averaging 110 points per game.... However look at their forward line that season....

HF: Tom Lynch, Taylor Walker, Mitch McGovern
FF Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins and Charlie Cameron.

Cameron left after the 2017 GF, McGovern went to Carlton in 2018. Jenkins is out of Favour despite being only 30. Betts is Already 31 or 32 years old. Mcgovern didnt play in the 2017 GF as he was injured. Even then, Crows had the forward line to get the winning score but Richmond dominated the game in the GF.

Yes the Crows dropped from 1st to 12th the next year. But in 2018, they got 12 wins and lost a few close games, one of them was vs Freo.

If you want to Have a similar forward of the Crows at freo....

HF McCarthy, Hogan, Kersten/logue.
FF Walters, Lobb, Matera

Pyke isnt a Bad coach, mind you he has some good cattle at the crows. Only problem is, he is out of contract until 2021. He was out of contract in 2018, then signed a 3 year deal.

Pyke would work wonders with our forward line and our midfield

Back