List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys got some money to throw at Cripps ? Wasted at Carlton.

I have been thinking alot about Cripps. Not from a Freo point of view, of course the club would give whatever they had to if he was available.

How much more damage would it do to Carlton if he left?

But the flipside of that is, how much of his career will be wasted if he stays there. The future looks bleak for Carlton, surely he must consider alternative options. I can't imagine he has sung their song very often.

He would be getting a stack of cash, but that is only going to be satisfactory for so long.

Four or five year deal to coach Carlton, secure your future.

Ross would be negligent to not consider it, we would be grossly negligent to not indicate to him that we are willing to negotiate an extension - that's what happened with St Kilda.
The important difference being that he had an out clause at St Kilda which he says is not in his current contract. I think the club would be honest with Ross and say that if he hits some defined team performance based KPIs an extension is on the table. We don’t need to pull the trigger too early but really unless the wheels fall off entirely from here we will have a season considerably better that the past 2 and that surely is going to be sufficient to trigger a serious conversation about a 2 - 3 year extension.

I guess people may forget he had an outclause at the Saints, so who knows what outclause he has here. Or maybe the money is just too good..
Yeah he might, I don't think it has been reported though. Also worth noting he had lost big on investments and needed the cash back then. Certainly if the same situation arises he might do the same and I wouldn't have a problem with it.

It would be a disaster for Fremantle if we lost him at the end of the year. But if he had a big contract on the table that you don't want to match, then you are in a similar situation as you are with players; if they don't want to be there, then you let them go.

If not, then it is an open market.
Not really an open market though is it? There's only 18 jobs in the country and once North and Carlton get new coaches, there may only be one availability at Essendon.... maybe.
I'm all for for Ross but no need for early extensions yet. Make finals, maybe. Strong start to next year (a couple of games in the 8 at this time next year) I would agree with that.
End of the day he's contracted to us so he's not going anywhere.

Not really an open market though is it? There's only 18 jobs in the country and once North and Carlton get new coaches, there may only be one availability at Essendon.... maybe.
I'm all for for Ross but no need for early extensions yet. Make finals, maybe. Strong start to next year (a couple of games in the 8 at this time next year) I would agree with that.

there is no way we're signing him next year. The decision will make made this year.

I have been thinking alot about Cripps. Not from a Freo point of view, of course the club would give whatever they had to if he was available.

He would be getting a stack of cash, but that is only going to be satisfactory for so long.

considering 90% of the list is potato like then when you say a stack of cash you are talking about a serious amount of cash - probably in the $1.2M+ a year range. he wouldn't get that much elsewhere.

Think there will also be a position open at St Kilda and possibly Sydney.

I think St Kilda are actually in the worst position of any club at the moment. Their list is clogged with a bunch of meh players with no game winners bar MAYBE Billings who gets horribly found out with a tag and relies on being the cream rather than the base of a cake. If I was a coach, the list I would LEAST like to take on is St Kilda's.

At least Carlton have some decent young talent and should be ok for talls when they all hit their prime in 3 years.

St Kilda are going nowhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A one year extension largely just keeps the wolves at bay

It also holds tension on Ross to deliver, put a clause in it that has an extension should we play finals next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross isn't going to agree to that kind of contract. if we resign him it will be for 2 years minimum.

Looking at the coaching stocks are we really in a position to be pulling a saint kilda with ross? i don't think so.

We're a big club if it goes pear shaped we just pay him out.

Presuming that the club and Ross have respect for each other - and nothing indicates otherwise...

Ross will finish this season before contract talks are in earnest. Focussing on it now takes focus away from coaching.

You'd think he'd like to coach the team that he rebuilt. If he's met the kpi's, the club would like to have someone who can take multiple teams to Grand Finals and complete a rebuild in record breaking time.

So I can't see anything but a several year extension (1 to cover the existing contract and a minimum 2 years on top) sometime between September this year and the end of his contract.

The catch in this is his family and if they still want to hang around Perth or go back home.

On VFL 360 Slobbo saying that Carlton should go after one of 3 coaches:
1./ Alistair Clarkson
2./ Paul Roos
3./ Ross Lyon

Hahahahaha

Can’t imagine Clarko going, he’s currently trying to get Hawthorn back on track.
Lyon is starting to come out of his own rebuild, can’t imagine him wanting to start again at Carlton
Roos would need a huge pay packet and a successor in place straight away.

Maybe 3 year deal with Roos, then handing off to Mitchell or something

Ross Lyon linked to Carlton

Do the Dockers sign him up early to kill the talks?

It is clearly very positive in at the club at the moment and I am sure the contract issues would already have been raised, in a conversational way. And as others have said, Lyon will be wanting to get the job done here.

The problem comes if there is a sense that the club lacks commitment beyond the existing contract, and if a big and long deal is on the table from whatever club is looking.

Fremantle not being pro-active in that situation would be a situation where other clubs will regard him as gettable. We slipped in when the Saints wavered. I realise the situations are not the same, but Neale was contracted, and Lyon had actually notionally agreed to an extension with St Kilda (as I understand it).

Come the end of the year discussions, if he informed the club that he has a 5 year $$$$$ offer on the table, and that he would like to know Fremantle's position, the club isn't going to be saying, "Leave it to the bye and if you have us 6-5 with x% and no blow-outs, we'll give you another year".

And if it did come to that position, he is the one holding all the cards.

Who would you leave out to bring in the two jets? We now have enough depth to cause selection headaches.

Bewley, Tucker, Hughes, Switkowski,Cox all need to perform well to retain their spots with players coming back. Even Cerra and Brayshaw.

If S Hill, Bennell and Sandilands are 100% fit they'll be selected.

Short of finishing top 4, we should definitely not be entertaining re-signing Ross, or, if we did, I'd want some clauses in there for not making finals.

<10 wins, he should be sacked
10 wins +, given the first half of next year to show we can have a good shot at a flag in the next 3 years
Top 4 - 2 year contract extension

Like others have mentioned, I'd also be in favour of a succession plan. If he hasnt won a flag by the end of 2023 there is little chance he's ever going to. Would love to bring in one of the highly rated assistants out there to take over after 2023

If the re-plumb, re-stump, re-wire gets us into the finals this year without our best defender (Pearce) then Carlton and/or North will go hard at Ross and rightly so.

Back