List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can easily imagine next season playing out with starting strong, especially at home, and then the first month after the bye being the sealer. Have a winning month, have Freo inside the top 8, and Ross Lyon will be renewed before the end of the H&A season.

Yep. That’s the way I see it playing out.

Then we go for a few years of finals without a GF appearance and finally we get a coach change.

Yep. That’s the way I see it playing out.

Then we go for a few years of finals without a GF appearance and finally we get a coach change.

The board would be negligent to do that. This is where having a board of diversity aka people that know * all about football is negligent. Ross is going to go all out at the start of next year, we'll easily present as the fittest team come round one and he'll try and post a few early wins come hell or high water. That's his perogative to try and get the extension he wants, but we need a board to hold their nerve and wait until the end of the season is close and they have done their due diligence on every other coach in the country before making their move. If at the end of doing all that they choose to renew Lyon then it will be hard to criticise the decision. If they renew him before midseason they are as useless as I suspect.

Yeah I agree with all that, I just find it interesting that a lot of people are suggesting he should get an extension if we are likely for finals by round 15 or so. I wouldn't be extending until seasons out unless we are games clear inside the top 4.

The reality is we should be playing finals in 2020 so purely making them shouldn't be the benchmark a lot of people are setting. Honestly if we finish 8th but show a much improved game plan based around clean entries inside 50 I would extend, if we finish 5th doing the same kick long contested mark plan I wouldn't.

However I have slowly come to the realisation that the chances of Lyon coaching Fremantle in 2021 are greatly higher than not. The AFL as a whole is so risk averse that teams that purely make finals think that their successful. Look at the Giants, they haven't even made a Grand Final yet they will keep Cameron on because finishing in the top half is good enough in the AFL. Essendon, the talk is if they make finals Worsfold will stay and if they don't he won't which is ridiculous. It should be if you think he has the plan to win a premiership you keep not just finals.

The Raptors fired their coach the same season he won the Coach of the Year Award in the NBA because they didn't think he could take that massive final step.
Risk averse, perhaps, but it would also be pretty ordinary management to get a list to the point of contention and then bring in an inexperienced coach.

Risk averse, perhaps, but it would also be pretty ordinary management to get a list to the point of contention and then bring in an inexperienced coach.

Depends how far you think the current coach can go and what you think the incoming can achieve. Not making a change just because the team is in the top half of the league is just as ordinary IMO.

Depends how far you think the current coach can go and what you think the incoming can achieve. Not making a change just because the team is in the top half of the league is just as ordinary IMO.
A team being in the top 4 is almost the best reason to not make a change. Struggling to think of an example of where this idea of yours as a reasonable strategy may have ever occurred?

It would be utter madness to shift from a coach who has taken a club into the top 4 and switch to a rookie coach such as Teague or Shaw who you have to assume are the best available from the existing group of rookies.

A team being in the top 4 is almost the best reason to not make a change. Struggling to think of an example of where this idea of yours as a reasonable strategy may have ever occurred?

It would be utter madness to shift from a coach who has taken a club into the top 4 and switch to a rookie coach such as Teague or Shaw who you have to assume are the best available from the existing group of rookies.

Sorry you must have misread. Top 4 I agree with as that is where you have to be to win a flag. I mean the fact in the afl that making finals means you are a successful team.

Sorry you must have misread. Top 4 I agree with as that is where you have to be to win a flag. I mean the fact in the afl that making finals means you are a successful team.
Yet plenty have said Lyon is not a successful coach because he hasn't won a premiership... I guess it depends how you measure success.

How do you know what Neale is receiving is several hundred thousands more than we could afford. I call BS
Rosich said in an interview that Freo weren't prepared to pay what Brisbane were offering. I've heard from a couple of sources that Freo were playing about $800k and Brisbane offered in the ballpark of $1million. That's an extra 7 figures over a five year contract.

AND

Any player that can't see the significant benefit to them of front loading contracts needs to find new financial advisors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I'm not moving any goal posts. Rosich is the boss over Bell and you've had at least three examples of him over ruling what Bell has wanted.

I didn't guess Hackdorn and have no idea why you've said that. I quoted Tom Browne, he's not from the West, although it was one of the news outlets to pick up the story that Rosich over ruled Bell when Bell wanted to employ the Adelaide List Manager. Our's had only been employed for 9 months. Who employed him?

Browne asked Bell directly if this was true and Bell did not deny it. Bell did say that him and Rosich have a good working relationship. Yep, as long as you know who's the boss!

You gave one example and that is from a journo and there are no direct quotes to support it. In other words (as you don't seem to understand journalism) it is opinion or conjexture. Not fact.

If it had a quote from the club then it would be fact. Understand?

As for the rest, I don't know how people could blame Ross or the S&C team for everything if Rosich overrules everyone and manages in the manner you suggest... You can't have it both ways.

Rosich said in an interview that Freo weren't prepared to pay what Brisbane were offering. I've heard from a couple of sources that Freo were playing about $800k and Brisbane offered in the ballpark of $1million. That's an extra 7 figures over a five year contract.

AND

Any player that can't see the significant benefit to them of front loading contracts needs to find new financial advisors.
Blimey, if they are only paying a million, and possibly front loaded it, they could lose him to GCSs for personal reasons in a year or two. Or Sydney, or Saints.

AND

thanks for the back up.

The club should have matched the Lions.

Line up the clichés, sharp review, we've been competitive, we've improved, only been blown away twice, blah, blah, blah
There was a lot to like, we're a young team, it was abit of connection, thought we were in control for periods, we gave great effort.

We just need a broom to sweep though the coaching and S&C department now,,,,,,unfortunately when we end up around 12th - 14th with 9 wins and lots of injuries and around the pre-season expectation of most we will end up sticking with them all for another season.

Obviously the lower down the ladder you finish the more questions come up. Finishing top 4 is what you pay a coach to achieve, with an eye on the next step, so for me it would be a no-brainer. I certainly wouldn't be changing a coach who has achieved that to promote a rookie coach. Squeak into the 8 and it is a totally different question.
Finish the regular season in the 8 and win some finals. Agree that if he finishes top 4 that's good enough to extend.

Back