Autopsy Round 1, 2020: Hawks defeat the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Some debate on the worth of a few players performances from the weekend. For anybody who doesn't religiously follow fantasy footy or Champion Data rankings, this how they boys ranked from the weekend.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 2.08.08 pm.png

TOB's stats stand out. Only 8 touches and 1 hitout but 60 ranking points. You have played an impactful game if you can score 60 from so few touches of the footy. Goal assists and time of game effectiveness counts for a lot, and clearly that's why he scored what he did.
Patton very, very similar.

8 players scoring above 100 is a huge result too. Especially considering that forwards, mids and rucks shared the points. That represents a massive team effort.

Scully and Hendo scoring poorly doesn't mean they played poorly, but might suggest that we used the corridor far more that usual if our wingers were down on their usual output.

Would also love to see JOM's fantasy scores if he could fi that 56% efficiency statistic.

Some debate on the worth of a few players performances from the weekend. For anybody who doesn't religiously follow fantasy footy or Champion Data rankings, this how they boys ranked from the weekend.

View attachment 845842

TOB's stats stand out. Only 8 touches and 1 hitout but 60 ranking points. You have played an impactful game if you can score 60 from so few touches of the footy. Goal assists and time of game effectiveness counts for a lot, and clearly that's why he scored what he did.

8 players scoring above 100 is a huge result too. Especially considering that forwards, mids and rucks shared the points. That represents a massive team effort.

Scully and Hendo scoring poorly doesn't mean they played poorly, but might suggest that we used the corridor far more that usual if our wingers were down on their usual output.

Would also love to see JOM's fantasy scores if he could fi that 56% efficiency statistic.

Surprised that poppy only had 55% TOG. Not sure why that would be so low. Was everywhere in the first quarter.

When Mitch is fit TOB will struggle, We need a guy who can lead up hard and straight to provide that connecting target for the mids, he shows real talent as that excellent lead up forward who also is an elite contested mark.
You ride TOB pretty hard and are very positive towards Lewis, always hinting how much better you think he is.

IMO I can’t think of many things Lewis is better than Tim at ATM.

Marking....... TOB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lewis, maybe the elite contested marking from Lewis has slipped past me.

Kicking both field and for goal....... TOB >>>>>>>>>> Lewis

Versatility......... TOB can play foward,back and pinch hit in the ruck

Don’t get me wrong Lewis has at times displayed some great signs I just don’t rate him as high as TOB, and I certainly don’t rate Lewis anywhere near as low as your rate Timmy.

I also have not read much praise from you when Timmy plays well but I sure have read a lot from you when he has a quiet game.

Maybe cut Tim some slack.

You ride TOB pretty hard and are very positive towards Lewis.

Marking....... TOB >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lewis, maybe the elite contested marking from Lewis has slipped past me.

Don’t get me wrong Lewis has at times displayed some great signs I just don’t rate his as high as TOB, and I certainly don’t rate Lewis anywhere near as low as your rate Timmy.

I also have not read much praise from you when Timmy plays well but I sure have read a lot from you when he has a quiet game.

Mitch was a top 5 contested mark in the league % wise last season, where was Tim? What about average goals?

I take Mitch everyday of the week and yesterday over Tim, that’s just where I sit. 5 years younger, bigger, better contested mark and higher ceiling.

Nice win.

Very poor skills apart from Burgoyne.

O’Meara is a B grade player... can improve.

I whack Stratts. He played below par for mine and was assisted with the defensive structure and Gunston roaming around. I’ll continue to whack Stratts until proven wrong.

Silk was brilliant with limited touches.

O’brien helps the team structure.
Thought he was quiet but when he had an opportunity he did ok. Can certainly improve the marking as we know.

Shiels did well but his high kicking looks bog average.

Didn’t mind McEvoy down back and think it will work with a tightening of the zone to force teams to kick long.

Breust played well! I whack Breust as well.

Patton will be a revelation for this team.

Frost is a chook with his head cut off.... love it. Fun to watch.

* the Carona virus

Last edited:
Nice win.

Very poor skills apart from Burgoyne.

O’Meara is a B grade player... can improve.

I whack Stratts. He played below par for mine and was assisted with the defensive structure and Gunston roaming around. I’ll continue to whack Stratts until proven wrong.

Silk was brilliant with limited touches.

O’brien helps the team structure.
Thought he was quiet but when he had an opportunity he did ok. Can certainly improve the marking as we know.

Shiels did well but his high Kuching looks big verage.
Didn’t mind McEvoy down back and think it will work with a tightening of the zone to force teams to kick long.

Breust played well! I whack Breust as well.

Patton will be a revelation for this team.

Frost is a chook with his head cut off.... love it. Fun to watch.

fu** the Carona virus

Well done for owning your whacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win! Burgoyne looking a year younger again as usual, he is just so much better than everyone else out there it's crazy.

Wingard a standout today also - looked hungry out there and so good to have the midfield brothers Tommy Gun and Worps back together.

Everyone contributed today and this break as a few people have alluded to will help us to get Impey, Hardwick and Lewis back - the list is shaping up well!

You ride TOB pretty hard and are very positive towards Lewis, always hinting how much better you think he is.

Don’t get me wrong Lewis has at times displayed some great signs I just don’t rate him as high as TOB, and I certainly don’t rate Lewis anywhere near as low as your rate Timmy.

Let's actually look at this in more detail.

TOB has had several seasons to show that he's got it. He will be 26 by the time games resume, and 27 next season.

Most players are well and truly into their prime by this stage of their careers - granted KPP's take a little longer than most, but even renowned late blooming KPP's have already hit their stride and have been consistent performers by this stage - e.g. Hawkins was 23 when he came into his own and kicked 62 goals.

TOB had five good games at the end of last year (kicking 12 goals and averaging 4.4 marks) and if people are going to hang their hat on those five games (out of his 62 games), then it's fair to point out that we expect more than 8 touches, 1 mark and 1 goal from one of our two key forwards. Especially when it's part of the reason why Gunston is relegated to the backline and Lewis to the stands.

Lewis, in his third season at 20/21 years of age, averaged 4.7 marks per game - more than TOB has in his best five game spell of his career.

If we cherry pick Lewis's best five games of last season to hang our hats on, then he's averaging 4.6 marks and he kicked 13 goals. Now keep in mind he's got four and a half more years of development ahead of him before he's in TOB's position.

As for your player comparison - one of these players is renowned for being "almost" Tim. The amount of times I've read on here, "when he starts clunking them..." and words to that effect is mind boggling. We've had years of it. The percentage of marks he takes compared to the amount of times he flies for one is stark (based on the eye test, so feel free to prove me wrong).

Lewis doesn't seem to have that issue and can clunk them, and he's also 2m tall, making him a harder matchup in the air.

TOB was average at the very best in the backline, and outright punished most times. Simply because he has played there doesn't mean he's versatile. I'm sure we could stick Lewis there and then claim he's versatile too. As for ruck - who would you rather, the ruck/forward junior who is at a ruckman's height, or the other guy that's 193cm?

Set shot comparison based on last year:
TOB is 12/9
Lewis is 20/15

You need more context to those stats to make a claim either way, but on face value they are the exact same there.

TOB is a nice field kick so I don't have an issue with that aspect of his game.

Now I do think he deserves another chance after his last five games last season, but that chance will be short lived if he serves up another 4 kick, 1 mark and 1 goal game - especially with Lewis and Scrimshaw in the stands and Gunston everywhere but the forward line.

Last edited:

View attachment 845842

Mids helped the fwds with 2 from the 14 goals leaving 12 for the six forwards
Fwds helped the mids with 6 of the 28 clearances although nominally defenders got 2

Hope would be with improvement that eventually Lewis will surpass TOB...but wasnt TOB going to surpass Schoey at one point? is tempted to mention Zac Dawson :oops:

All have been/will be very useful squad members

In reference to the whole best 22 convo I actually think it’s more important to have a best 25-26. Yes 3-4 guys will miss out every now and then but with things like injuries, suspensions and form slumps it’s definitely important to a team’s success to have those 3-4 guys that can fill the void at any given time. IMO I think Clarko’s best 22 changes game to game depending on matchups. Some games we might need to go taller in the forward line to stretch teams defences and there’s times we’ll have to do the opposite with our defence.

Spots are only going to get tougher once Dimma, Impey, Mitch, Howe and others become available which isn’t a bad thing. Guys that fail to make that best 25-26 will make for good trade bait in the offseason. This is hopefully how we can fill the teams deficiencies especially with our need for pressure forwards.
[/QUOTE
In reference to the whole best 22 convo I actually think it’s more important to have a best 25-26. Yes 3-4 guys will miss out every now and then but with things like injuries, suspensions and form slumps it’s definitely important to a team’s success to have those 3-4 guys that can fill the void at any given time. IMO I think Clarko’s best 22 changes game to game depending on matchups. Some games we might need to go taller in the forward line to stretch teams defences and there’s times we’ll have to do the opposite with our defence.

Spots are only going to get tougher once Dimma, Impey, Mitch, Howe and others become available which isn’t a bad thing. Guys that fail to make that best 25-26 will make for good trade bait in the offseason. This is hopefully how we can fill the teams deficiencies especially with our need for pressure forwards.
Yep. Good balanced argument bugs. 👍 Been following VFL/AFL since 1978...and our great teams pretty much in line with what you're saying.

It's cause we delisted Schoenmakers.....
Haha. It seems we need a whipping boy to vent frustrations. I honestly think O'Brien can make a significant impact. He has the tools and I'll stick with him coz I feel he turned the corner last season. That's not to say I don't get frustrated with him too. BUT I get more annoyed with the extreme negativity after ONE round of footy. For mine he's moving well, his body's in good shape. He did have an impact and that's even without the sticky fingers...At least Clarko now has options. Lewis will need to earn his spot. Am very optimistic with him but he'll need time as well. Or we'll be soon hearing him copping weekly sprays on here too.... 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back