Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall I thought our effort was good. Mental lapses cooked us. But Frost gave 100% all game and was rarely beaten. He gives us that every week and we will be in a good place.

Our two best players got cooked. Newk I can understand he probably hasn't been tagged so much. But sic has to be better. I love him and think he's a top defender. But he gotta be better.

Nash and worps tried hard but just lacked dynamic without Day and Newk.

Anyways it wasn't really that bad. It's just frustrating to lose when we probably should win. There was enough there. But * me the dons look average and we have to be winning these games if we want to be taken seriously. But better than a 70 point loss lol

Very impressed with Ginni btw. Awesome pick up
Weddle was our most disappointing defender today, for mine.

28 scoring shots to 22. to me thats a good sign.
Yep, won I50s too. Our midfield was our A game last year, it along with so many other things went poorly today but we still gave ourselves the opportunity to win. Sucks to lose to Essendon but it's not the end of the world.

Essendon should be looking to beat us, but they struggled despite us being somewhat depleted. They topped up to challenge for finals - they recruited Goldstein, Gresham and McKay to that end. An equivalent loss against North, West Coast would be closer to the end of the world.

Frenchy had some soft efforts today it must be said.

Needed to body line the ball a few times but pulled short. Looks great with ball in hand but needs to start trying to win it.

Only young so has plenty of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would you have drafted instead?

We took the best available talent at the pick we had. Who plays in an area of the ground that we've been lacking in elite end talent.
For me Daniel Curtain. Connor O’Sullivan if Curtain wasn’t available. Sorry but he’s just too small. Once he gets his confidence up and starts kicking a few they will physically target him even more which is a concern. Anyway still too early to make a call. As I said post draft hope ive got it completely wrong and he becomes a star. Time will tell

Last edited:
Memo to Ginnivan:

You’re a small forward, so your job is in this order
1. Chase, harass, tackle and annoy the opposition to try to cause turnovers
2. Link up with other Hawks, giving the ball to a teammate in a better position than you
3. Kick the odd goal

Try to wash the Collingwood stink out - it may take some time …

Biggest s**t stain if a post I've ever seen. Have another beer

Yep, won I50s too. Our midfield was our A game last year, it along with so many other things went poorly today but we still gave ourselves the opportunity to win. Sucks to lose to Essendon but it's not the end of the world.

Essendon should be looking to beat us, but they struggled despite us being somewhat depleted. They topped up to challenge for finals - they recruited Goldstein, Gresham and McKay to that end. An equivalent loss against North, West Coast would be closer to the end of the world.
William Day makes a huge difference for us

Lets trade him.
Geez after today's game how bloody crazy would we be to trade him to the Cats?

Right now he's probably our most consistent (maybe not most talented but most consistent) midfielder.

You don't make finals without someone like Worps smashing into the contest every week.

Will probably end up top 5 for clearances in the AFL again by the end of the year.

Also has a good habit of snaring the odd goal which is something most of our other mids struggle with.

Geez after today's game how bloody crazy would we be to trade him to the Cats?

Right now he's probably our most consistent (maybe not most talented but most consistent) midfielder.

You don't make finals without someone like Worps smashing into the contest every week.

Will probably end up top 5 for clearances in the AFL again by the end of the year.

Also has a good habit of snaring the odd goal which is something most of our other mids struggle with.

Our board has a habit of trying to trade good players for magic beans.

Biggest s**t stain if a post I've ever seen. Have another beer
It’s definitely not all down to Ginnavin.

However McGrath was able to break lines at will with minimal chase / pressure from our small forwards.

That’s a clear RFI for us. We need to be able to prevent opposition scores on turnover, and it starts with defensive chasing from our small forwards.

Frustrating game.

Thought our ball movement and ability to create run from turnovers was good and created a lot of opportunities, however our ability to capitalise was poor.

Also our defensive pressure across every line was woeful, Essendon ability to move the ball and score was just too easy. Low tackle count indicative of this. Weren’t able to lock it in our forward line at any point, and our chase through the middle of the ground was really lacking.

Defence a real worry. No intercept, and Sicily having to play more one on one really hurt us. It’s like playing with one hand behind our back. We’ve got our work cut out here.
Mitchell made a few Blues this week unfortunately. Sicily playing more 1 on 1 when you have a bloke as an emergency who we could have utilised to free Sis up. 2MP didn't dominate but Stringer had an influence because we didn't have the right matchup for him. These things could have been avoided with more logical thinking and n ot trying to be too clever McGuiness should never be sub again.

Essendon are s**t. But that’s what makes today so disappointing
Before they turned up their toes after round 17, they were 5th with 9 wins and 7 losses.

So they’re not s**t.

They’re a clearly middling club who have topped up as they’re trying to make finals this year.

Objectively, they sit level above where we probably are, but with their unavailable players, they were ripe for the picking….and we failed to take the chances we created.

William Day makes a huge difference for us
yes i love day however we r going to have to do without him for a while.

Bloody Goldstein. He lifted in the second half. Was the impetus in that last qtr. 36 year old age less gun. Reeves will learn from this. Reeves just ran out of gas. It was a hot day and round 1. Ward did a lot of defensive running. His opponent Duursma never looked like having an impact. He did a lot of thankless running. A really gutsy effort in the heat.

We still lack polish going forward and through the middle. So many kicks ill directed. Over kicked or under kicked. So many handballs at players feet. Fatigue did play its part. So many times we were out in space only for the next handball to be at someones bootlaces or miss the target to turn the ball over.

The good - we were able to execute to have so many inside 50s. We should kicked away in the second qtr

The bad was obviously firstly our kicking for goal and our defensive intent in the middle of the grounds. Too many times we set way too aggresively only for the ball to waltz out of the middle for a score.

Plenty of positives our forward line with so many new faces could have won us the game. The good news they are only going to get better.

Looking to inject more speed into the side with bailey and seamus in the near term and Cj not too far away. Lets see how far we go against Melbourne next week

The other good news Dear kicked 4 against the bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back