VFL Game Day Round 1: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Saturday 26/03/2022 @ 2:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

We where always waiting for the suspended players to come back because we thought we where in the window.
To say anything else is wrong.
We topped up in the next 3 drafts. Then we refused to trade until players where walking out the door.
It was not a rebuild.
What we should have been doing is another story.

If this is the case, you could say we still aren't in a rebuild. Snelling, McDonaugh, Cutler, Wright, Kelly, Waterman, Hind in the last 2.5 seasons and we certainly haven't gone out of our way to blood kids or let the players go willingly tp reinvest in the draft. Fundamentally I think we can't decide what we are doing and actually stick with a plan.

Last edited:
So we’ve gone from finding AFL quality outside the VFL system to bringing blokes into the VFL system that are barely VAFA Prem C quality.

Dross, and it’s not even results based, none of the VFL list look at the level or have anything resembling attributes of any sort.

All the while watching said s**t truck eat up centre square minutes, hopefully so we can prevent Voss from ever getting a look.

If this is the case, you could say we still aren't in a rebuild. Snelling, McDonaugh, Cutler, Wright, Kelly, Waterman, Hind in the last 2.5 seasons and we certainly haven't gone out of our way to blood kids or let the players go willingly tp reinvest in the draft. Fundamentally I think we can't decide what we are doing and actually stick with a plan.
None have been 25 plus when we picked them.
You can rebuild by taking young blokes early and the taking 20 to 25 year olds via the latter picks and the rookie draft .
We have also played most of the kids at stages of their first year.
Like I said what we could have been doing is a different discussion.
There was a clear choice to go to the draft at the end of 2020 and also hold our first pick last year when previously we had been trading out.

All the while watching said s**t truck eat up centre square minutes, hopefully so we can prevent Voss from ever getting a look.

After actually seeing it I’m actually warming to Voss as a forward, could see him being a bit of a battle axe, obviously pressure is there already and kicked a nice opportunist goal as well.

Obviously if it was up to me it would be mid all the way but I can see something there.

Thought all our draftees showed glimpses today but with Hobbs and Atley the only midfielders that look VFL standard (Jolley can still find it but can barely run) we’re pushing s**t up a hill this year.

Voss strikes me as a Cam Zurhaar type forward, that can play as a KPF at a pinch but you really want him roaming around the forward half of the ground as an ancillary tall forward and physically knocking the daylights out of people if given the chance.

Snelling was 22 when we got him…

Dodoro has been in charge of the list a long time
he simply has not proven that he can build a team in 15 years yet plebs celebrate him

So Hobbs did some nice things, got on the move at stoppages, kept his hands free, spread hard and tackled well. Had a similar outing to Knevitt in terms of production with 20 odd touches and 6 tackles which makes sense given they were both high selection from last year. Would give it a month before he’s busting the door down.

Baldwin kicked a couple late to make it look like a nice outing for him but the supply was dogshit so never really had a great go at it, had a nice gather and accurate snap which showed how clean and agile he can be. Also one really commanding lead straight up the guts that basically forced the kicker to lower the eyes and hit him when we actually did get a bit of clean ball going.

Hird does not make mistakes with ball in hand and has time but he’s a 15 touch a game player, if he can become a 20 touch a game player then he’s a viable AFL player, still only 20 and built like a flea. Quietly confident we’ve got something there at half forward.

Phillips rucked the majority and looked solid, can still go. Beat Ceglar and the other big hairy giant they have.

Bryan was a weird one, I don’t recall him doing any centre square stuff, it’s almost as if the plan was for Phillips to to the CB’s and then run to full forward and Bryan did the around the ground stuff. Was actually really clean at ground level, didn’t show anything aerially.

McDonagh loves kicking long, can seriously punch it. Took all the kick outs but got very little advantage out of it due to our players just getting out marked or flat out running under the ball because they didn’t expect it to carry so far. Willing to put his head over it as well so I don’t think it will be long before he is preferred to Cutler tbh. Did something to his foot late on but then returned to the ground, believe he kicked someone’s leg in the process of kicking out of a pack.

Eyre and Voss very little impact but very little supply, Eyre took 2 nice, clean grabs on the lead and Voss kicked a nice ninja goal where he palmed the footy and kicked as he spun in one motion.

Brand and Zerk as key backs battled but were under siege. Zerk is a good solider and it’s still too early to tell with Brand, but even though he is a bit of a dour type he does read it pretty well in the air so a bit to work with.

Lord rarely sighted but immediately evident what sort of player he is, he’ll play on a flank, get it and immediately take off for better or for worse, genuinely quick off the mark.

As previously stated the VFL contingent means this side will struggle this year but injecting Tex, Reid, returning AMT, Fejo, McBride and some NGA’s or FS players in throughout the year should be pretty fun.

Sheesh.

Our recruiting department should hang their heads in shame. Unless there is a dramatic turnaround we may need a deeper cleanout.
Watched the Pies Hawks VFL game, the comparable talent they have is disgusting reflection on our recruiters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Hobbs did some nice things, got on the move at stoppages, kept his hands free, spread hard and tackled well. Had a similar outing to Knevitt in terms of production with 20 odd touches and 6 tackles which makes sense given they were both high selection from last year. Would give it a month before he’s busting the door down.

Baldwin kicked a couple late to make it look like a nice outing for him but the supply was dogshit so never really had a great go at it, had a nice gather and accurate snap which showed how clean and agile he can be. Also one really commanding lead straight up the guts that basically forced the kicker to lower the eyes and hit him when we actually did get a bit of clean ball going.

Hird does not make mistakes with ball in hand and has time but he’s a 15 touch a game player, if he can become a 20 touch a game player then he’s a viable AFL player, still only 20 and built like a flea. Quietly confident we’ve got something there at half forward.

Phillips rucked the majority and looked solid, can still go. Beat Ceglar and the other big hairy giant they have.

Bryan was a weird one, I don’t recall him doing any centre square stuff, it’s almost as if the plan was for Phillips to to the CB’s and then run to full forward and Bryan did the around the ground stuff. Was actually really clean at ground level, didn’t show anything aerially.

McDonagh loves kicking long, can seriously punch it. Took all the kick outs but got very little advantage out of it due to our players just getting out marked or flat out running under the ball because they didn’t expect it to carry so far. Willing to put his head over it as well so I don’t think it will be long before he is preferred to Cutler tbh. Did something to his foot late on but then returned to the ground, believe he kicked someone’s leg in the process of kicking out of a pack.

Eyre and Voss very little impact but very little supply, Eyre took 2 nice, clean grabs on the lead and Voss kicked a nice ninja goal where he palmed the footy and kicked as he spun in one motion.

Brand and Zerk as key backs battled but were under siege. Zerk is a good solider and it’s still too early to tell with Brand, but even though he is a bit of a dour type he does read it pretty well in the air so a bit to work with.

Lord rarely sighted but immediately evident what sort of player he is, he’ll play on a flank, get it and immediately take off for better or for worse, genuinely quick off the mark.

As previously stated the VFL contingent means this side will struggle this year but injecting Tex, Reid, returning AMT, Fejo, McBride and some NGA’s or FS players in throughout the year should be pretty fun.
Bryan rucked the first 15 minutes including the three center bounces in that time.
We dominated the first 15 minutes but gave up 2 quick goals from turnover. Missed 3 set shots we should have kicked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back