Game Day Round 1: Sydney Swans v GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 1: The Sydney Swans vs. The GWS Giants

I'm sorry, but I won't be surprised if Everitt comes out during this week and admits he is *ed. He was shocking tonight. Got such good service and plays like he's played the game for about a week.

HA! everitt didnt excite me much in the nab cub.. maybe horse will give him one more chance.. he did have an absolute shocker last nite.

I thought he starting showing a little towards the end of the year, he did play both finals...

White averages 1 goal a game, thats not bad, i think with time that could become 2 or more...

IM MY OPINION, AND THATS ONLY MY OPINION, white is the missing link to our forward line.. i hope by seasons end i am proven correct, been watching/ playing footy for over 30 years.. WHITE HAS SOMETHING, maybe he just needs to believe in himself more.

on a side note, i am so happy to see jetta using his gifts finally, it just takes time, chance after chance and then finally it starts to happen.. white is the same..

And this has been said over and over again. Everyone knows he has the tools to be a very good AFL footballer, but he is yet to even look like taking the opportunity.

- Does not get involved enough
- Can't take a contested mark to save himself
- Is a bit of a liability on the rebound

He is running out of time. I wish he were our savior, but I doubt it. Hopefully Spangher returns soon, who is a far better option for us up forward than White IMO.

I thought he starting showing a little towards the end of the year, he did play both finals...

White averages 1 goal a game, thats not bad, i think with time that could become 2 or more...

... it just takes time, chance after chance and then finally it starts to happen.. white is the same..

So Everitt has a bad day which equates to an average/good White day (13 touches, 1 goal and 1 goal assist + 6 inside 50s) and we should throw him out for White ? Why, is it because White can play consistently poorly ? Andrejs is only 23 and hasn't had the same time forward that White has. Please lets not have another year of waiting for Jesse to 'come good'. It's time he was played in another role. Big forwards need to mark, not bring the ball to ground (ie, spoil). The defenders will do that.

My money is on Spangher when he's fit. Much more upside than any of the other options and really showed some class at the end of 2011. In the meantime I'd rather see Everitt fill the role and have a chance to develop. White's had his.

In the end it's round 1 and performances are expected to be patchy. I'm pretty happy to take a 10 goal win despite an extreme flood

EDIT : WHite did not manage 13 touches in any games in 2011.

Big forwards should bring the ball to ground if they can't mark it. Everitt isn't big enough or hard enough to smash a pack open.

Fair point that White has had his chances and Everitt hasn't. But even if Everitt takes his chances on occasions, he still isn't the player we need.

Big forwards should bring the ball to ground if they can't mark it. Everitt isn't big enough or hard enough to smash a pack open.

Fair point that White has had his chances and Everitt hasn't. But even if Everitt takes his chances on occasions, he still isn't the player we need.

Agree but he's smart enough to lead out and clear space around Reid. White has a tendency to crash the pack as he usually arrives late and often manages to spoil any chance of Reid marking. I don't think at this stage Everitt's the answer (I think Spangher is) but statistically Everitt's bad days are on a par with White's good days.

Spangher > Everitt/Pyke/Seaby > White

Got the job done. Felt like an extra nab cup game tbh.

An adequate performance, which is all it was, was always likely to see us comfortable victors.

First games are always pretty sorry affairs.

This.

We did what was needed and not much more. Skills were rusty (when are they not?), we didn't show much intensity, and our forward line (and delivery into the forward 50) was again dysfunctional. But at the end of the day we walk away with a 10 goal win and two weeks to get our s**t in order for the Freo game.

Kennedy and Bird were very good. Jetta wasn't skirting packs like last year (although GWS are hardly chockful of hard bodies). Reid and Davis had a good battle with Reid again showing great hands but woeful kicking. Grundy's footskills were heart-attack inducing. Hanners was barely sighted - agree that Cunningham should have started. Oh and Parker was impressive yet again, don't know why he was subbed off?

Also - credit to GWS as well for providing stiffer competition than most people predicted. Their pressure, chasing and tackling was good throughout and their ball movement pretty slick at times. I'll end up hating them I'm sure, but for the next few years I wish them all the best. If they catch a poor team on a bad day they could win a few games this season.

Jetta needs to get down lower on his tackles. He stands up dead straight and tries to wrap them up and wrestle them to ground, which is when you're big, but when you're a little fella the mechanics are against you.

I reckon he'd be better served tackling more like a rugby player. harder to wrap the arms up, but at least it'll stick.

I'm in favour of having 3 genuine talls in the forward line and playing as he is I don't count Everitt as a tall that our structure can use, as AG outlined.

As I said in the other thread, if Shaw and ROK come in then I'd be jettisoning Everitt and Cunningham but then that does leave our forward line relatively short.

I'm happy to keep LRT for now. He competed, forced crumbs and, above all else, kicks straight.

So Everitt has a bad day which equates to an average/good White day (13 touches, 1 goal and 1 goal assist + 6 inside 50s) and we should throw him out for White ? Why, is it because White can play consistently poorly ? Andrejs is only 23 and hasn't had the same time forward that White has. Please lets not have another year of waiting for Jesse to 'come good'. It's time he was played in another role. Big forwards need to mark, not bring the ball to ground (ie, spoil). The defenders will do that.

My money is on Spangher when he's fit. Much more upside than any of the other options and really showed some class at the end of 2011. In the meantime I'd rather see Everitt fill the role and have a chance to develop. White's had his.

In the end it's round 1 and performances are expected to be patchy. I'm pretty happy to take a 10 goal win despite an extreme flood

EDIT : WHite did not manage 13 touches in any games in 2011.

This isn't something which can be quantitatively measured. Everitt was s**t last night. He was hugely ineffective. Yes, he got involved but just so much of the time lacked confidence, looked incompetent and had no flash at all to his game. What sort of player is he? He's not big enough to be KPP and isn't skilful enough to be a third tall. Therefore, we need to bring in TDL or White. TDL is not just a crumbing forward. He can take a good mark and most importantly, can kick goals! White, is a true KPP and has potential. Like everyone else (including yourself), I'm sick of waiting for him and agree that Spangher is a much better option. Pity, he's injured.

This isn't something which can be quantitatively measured. Everitt was s**t last night. He was hugely ineffective. Yes, he got involved but just so much of the time lacked confidence, looked incompetent and had no flash at all to his game. What sort of player is he? He's not big enough to be KPP and isn't skilful enough to be a third tall. Therefore, we need to bring in TDL or White. TDL is not just a crumbing forward. He can take a good mark and most importantly, can kick goals! White, is a true KPP and has potential. Like everyone else (including yourself), I'm sick of waiting for him and agree that Spangher is a much better option. Pity, he's injured.

I think Everitt's best possie may be upfield a bit, possibly on a wing. He has pace uses the ball well and can usually hit targets inside 50. Until Spangher comes back in he is still a better forward on a poor day than Jesse. Would like to think that Longmire won't judge too many players on a first hit out. TDL is a different case as he's a smallish forward. Would like to see him get a game but he needs to do more than a few cameos.

Thought the biggest +ve for the game was Jetta playing a more confident game. Hope this is his year. If he, Rohan, Bird, Jack, Reid & Parker can all lift a gear we're a good chance.

Jetta needs to get down lower on his tackles. He stands up dead straight and tries to wrap them up and wrestle them to ground, which is when you're big, but when you're a little fella the mechanics are against you.

I reckon he'd be better served tackling more like a rugby player. harder to wrap the arms up, but at least it'll stick.

Mate from where he has come from he has improved out of side, give the kid a break! For once he deserves full praise rather than people picking his game to pieces.

Id really like to see Pyke get another gig, I think he offers more mobility around the ground than seaby and I think will bring more to the table than LRT in the ruck. TDL has to come in and given an extended run for mine.

Bit concerned about Rohan as well because I'm worried he'll spend more time on the injury list than on the football field. His attack on the ball is unbelievable but he needs to protect himself more in the process. Never really turns his body when he goes for the ball, it's normally head first.

Great to watch though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id really like to see Pyke get another gig, I think he offers more mobility around the ground than seaby and I think will bring more to the table than LRT in the ruck. TDL has to come in and given an extended run for mine.
I would also like to see Pyke back in the side, but I think we are really missing Spangher playing the role he did at the back end of last year. Leap years ahead of Everitt in any event

I find it interesting that people are calling for White to come back into the team. We were all calling for him to get another chance in 2011, he ended up getting an extended run and he really failed the test. He did not excel in any single match, he made the same fundamental errors time and time again. I think he showed some promising signs against st kilda, and followed it up with a decent game, but then there was nothing again, when what he really needed to do was to continue to improve his performances. And they were just "decent" games. He just looks the part, but his performances are well off the mark. If I was coach, I'd leave him to develop in the 2's, and I'd expect him to string a few really dominant performances together before considering him. And when looking at his performance I'd be looking at whether he improves on his deficiencies, ie marking, leading to the right places, getting his positioning right and actually kicking goals. He's got the potential, but imo he has to prove it on the small stage consistently before he gets another crack

It's really a forward line merry-go-round atm, and it's been that way since hall departed. The fact of the matter is, we've got a host of potentials, but none of them have put their hand up, instead they're all waiting in line for a handout.

Everitt shot himself in the foot with that performance, I was cheering for him to put it all together (considering he was decent during the NAB) because he had is opportunities, but he did practically nothing.

I think Spangher is our best option atm. Not because I think he's a great player, but because he gives us what we need, a tall player who's willing to put his body on the line, crash packs and put in the effort. He gives 100% every time, and that's all we really need at this point. If white had Spanghers total disregard for his own safety and willingness to compete he'd be twice the player he is right now. Everitt's the same, he's too soft.

Walsh still needs time to develop, he's very mucha project player at this point. I'd like to see him continue to develop in the 2's, cause there's alot to like about him, but he's far from ready-made atm.

If shaw/ROK don't come back in. I'd like to see Morton out on the park ahead of Everitt. Not because he's shown much during the NAB, but because Everitt was spudly against GWS, and Morton wouldn't do much worse than that, but it may just be the shot in the arm he needs to reignite his career. EDIT: aparently Morton had a poor game in the 2's, perhaps it's better to let him prove himself before giving him another shot. In which case perhaps Everitt can be replaced by Pyke.

Ideally, I would like to see TDL back in the side. I think he's done the hard yards over 2011 with no reward. I think he deserves a free pass into the seniors, just to see what he can do. I'm a huge fan, he showed something special and I hope he's given an opportunity soon and makes the most of it. I just don't get it. GIVE HIM A SHOT!! But in saying that, our coaching staff have limited opportunities to players in the past ie Vesz & Johnston, and they're not setting the world on fire at their new clubs. So at the end of the day I've gotta trust out coaching staff, they get it right most of the time.

these are my predictions for tonight...

sammy reid kicks 8 goals or better and announces himself to the footy world...

goodesy has 35 plus stats and breaks the supercoach points record, 200 plus...

we win by 117 points or there abouts!!

the -88.5 line is everyones chance to double there bank balance, i have smashed this line... and will drink to every goal we kick, and double drink for every SAMMY REID goal..

If the AFL weren't liable to interfere with the result, I would agree with you.

the swans hate the afl, and we will make a mess of this joke team... no matter how much the umpires rob us tonight..

its going to be messy

So fess up: how much coin did you lose last night?

So fess up: how much coin did you lose last night?

2k!!
icon9.gif

hope you feel better about your life now...

nothing panned out the way it should've, thats life!!

2k!!
icon9.gif

Wow.. I thought the margin was going to be 61 since I entered my tips a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't too far off.

Its a disgrace. A couple on the main board said the same and i asked a mate who also said the same. I hope the AFL and GWS gett exposed as its a slap in the face to our marketing and membership dept for all their hard work

It's a giants home game.
Get over it.

2k!!
icon9.gif

Hey, at least you owned up to it. I respect that.

:thumbsu:

As for me, whether you won or lost last night was never going to affect how happy I am with life.

Everything panned out the way it was always going to.

It's a shame I don't have much of a bank balance because if I did, I could've doubled it last night.

:thumbsu:

I can see Townsend quickly becoming a player everyone loves to hate, the new ballantyne.

Had half the swans players go near him want to beat the s**t out of him.

Another positive yet to be noted is Malceski's ball use was pretty clean. hit targets and was communicating which side to put it too and backing himself. He may not have torn the game apart but if he's kicking like that and with confidence it can only be a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back