Autopsy Round 10 2024 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Saturday May 18, 4.35pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, game day, and from accounts it's not the best day in Sydney for a game of footy. Cold & windy, with a chance of rain. I'm unsure who that favours in today's game. There's already enough flakiness in both teams. Each seems to have two teams, one of which can monster the opposition, and the other than rolls over and loses. Which one turns out today for each team? The weather might make it harder for the big men in the forward lines, so potentially favouring the team that can get it's running game going. This is too hard to call from my perspective, but another loss would be a nail in the heart of our season, so let's GO GIANTS!

And congratulations to Jesse Hogan on playing your 150th game.

GWS v WB.png

I think the wet weather doesn’t hurt us… they are very tall in front half.
Two huge games leading into a bye.
Players need to be very desperate of we’ll be of the 8 before we know it.
Winning more centre clearance and the tackle count would be a good start.

The highest crowd we have got for a home and away match against the Dogs at Giants Stadium was 10,139 (at Manuka our record crowd vs the Bulldogs was 14,048). Whilst we did get home crowds of 21,790 and 19,218 against the Dogs, they were for finals matches. I think we have a good chance of beating the 10,139 H&A crowd today?

Can someone pitch me Thomas as the sub?

I didn't mind him in the team (but him and Jones probably shouldn't play in the same team at the minute), but as an injection later in the game, I'm not sure what he brings. His ability to read the play, and fit into the system were what stood out in his first 5 games, not his pressure/work at the contest/speed.

I didn't mind him in the team (but him and Jones probably shouldn't play in the same team at the minute), but as an injection later in the game, I'm not sure what he brings. His ability to read the play, and fit into the system were what stood out in his first 5 games, not his pressure/work at the contest/speed.
Agree 100%

For the life of me I can't figure out why we're using him as sub instead of Peatling.

I don't see how Thomas makes sense as sub. Peatling is the most versatile option.
I disagree that his pressure and contest work doesn't stand out. He really gets stuck in for a young, undersized player.

I don't see how Thomas makes sense as sub. Peatling is the most versatile option.
I disagree that his pressure and contest work doesn't stand out. He really gets stuck in for a young, undersized player.
Fair, I just think it's the 'undersized, young' bit that I'm wrestling with in terms of balancing the rest of the team and coming in as a sub.

Think we're a bit lucky today that the wind has a south westerly wind (off land/offshore component) which means any showers coming ashore from the coast will dry out (which you can see on radar), so we should see minimal rain.

If the wind swings onshore I'd be worried but with the south westerly (drier land wind) wind component, any rain that makes it to Olympic Park should dry relatively quickly and should minimise dewy conditions too.

Getting a bit of sun here west of the stadium as we speak.

Last edited:
Watching the Pies/Crows pre-game, and just before the break a moment ago, there was I assume a live shot from ground level at Engie Stadium.

Tower lights are on and it's teeming down.

I don't think it's going to clear looking at the radar (edit: despite what was forecast).

We'll be lucky to get 8000 unfortunately.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back