Review Round 11, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Hawthorn

Who were your five best players against Hawthorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Lyon this morning on his SEN show, said to Tim Watson "...why not Brisbane?" asked what he meant he said "...win the flag"
Couldn't see why we couldn't do it. In same/similar position at this time of the rounds as Bulldogs and Tigers were when they won.

Eeyore moment : I'm backing us to make a grand final - I bought September membership tickets this year for the first time and will spend the entire telecast looking to spot my family in the crowd. Better bloody be at least a two-peat.

Edit: I'd still rather I wasn't there to watch the game than they didn't make it.

Gary Lyon this morning on his SEN show, said to Tim Watson "...why not Brisbane?" asked what he meant he said "...win the flag"
Couldn't see why we couldn't do it. In same/similar position at this time of the rounds as Bulldogs and Tigers were when they won.
Seeing this talk pop up a bit, interesting to note (I know, vastly different circumstances/teams) but in 2001 after round 11 we were 6-5.

Now I don't think we'll jog on and not lose a game for the rest of the season like that amazing team but after we got smashed by Carlton (Went to that game, house got robbed the day before as well! Fun fact, s**t weekend!) and then lost to Adelaide, we weren't any sort of 'flag favourites'. Hawks were 8-0, Bombers 7-1 and Port 6-2. It was a coming of age season, hopefully 2019 is the same for our group.

NUP. Tell your 7 year old son that you both had your opportunity and passed because of a better offer. They are now down at Beaumaris Footy Club with the aus kickers learning the art of goal kicking next Thursday arvo. They are pretty expensive but you know the saying...pay peanuts and you get monkeys...well maybe 3KZ's anyways. ;):thumbsdown:
I hope those Auskick kids at Beau-ie can teach them how to kick.

Wonder which coach gave Hodge 2 votes

Also, a bit rough on Lachie Neale. Definitely gets held to a higher standard
Hodgey ???

He got a lot of his kicks when the game was over .Votes must have included coaching credits.

Those votes are patently ridiculous. Maybe they're trying to even up the B/F.

Hodgey ???

He got a lot of his kicks when the game was over .Votes must have included coaching credits.

Those votes are patently ridiculous. Maybe they're trying to even up the B/F.

Yeah I wouldn't have voted for either. Zorko and Neale probably stiff not to get a vote.

Likewise how does Sicily with his record only cop a fine for a direct punch in the guts behind the play that puts a guy out of action for a few minutes.

Just so much bewilders me about umpires and tribunals these days . They made a song and dance about stamping out behind the play cheap shots and there it is ,Exhibit A from a serial offender cops a fine.

That's what I want. It feels like the "bad goalkicking" meme has a lot to account for "fewer kicks directly in front" given teams are more likely to congest the area right in front of goals to force lower percentage shots from angles.

Fatcat08 the new 'By the Numbers' podcast with Daniel Harford, Daniel Hoyne from champion data and Brendon Goddard had a good discussion on this in part. They didn't discuss the percentage of snaps versus set shots but they did go into a discussion around where shots are happening from. Even by expected score goal accuracy was down by one goal per game per team this year - which is a pretty big number.

Would highly recommend the podcast as a whole, first episode was a very interesting discussion on the actual impact of the rule changes which was a million miles more nuanced than anything else I've heard. Goddard is shockingly pretty good to listen to as well.

It's essentially Pure Footy rebadged for RSN without David King which is a big plus.

Link to first episode (can't get it to embed unfortunately): https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=378182

Likewise how does Sicily with his record only cop a fine for a direct punch in the guts behind the play that puts a guy out of action for a few minutes.

Just so much bewilders me about umpires and tribunals these days . They made a song and dance about stamping out behind the play cheap shots and there it is ,Exhibit A from a serial offender cops a fine.
I reckon they are up to about exhibit c or d when you add all of cunningtons cheap shots as well. You are right at the start of the year they preached how we wanted this crap taken out of the game and when they have had the opportunity they have done nothing. It is confusing i must agree. Perfect opportunities they have had to crack down and done nothing except for fines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayne Zorko copped a suspension for a tummy tap a year or 2 ago that wouldn't have bruised a grape.

Now Sicily gets a fine for a gut punch that left a player hunched over on the ground for a couple of minutes, and they are supposedly tougher on this stuff now.
Emilia-Clarke-Eye-Roll.gif

NUP. Tell your 7 year old son that you both had your opportunity and passed because of a better offer. They are now down at Beaumaris Footy Club with the aus kickers learning the art of goal kicking next Thursday arvo. They are pretty expensive but you know the saying...pay peanuts and you get monkeys...well maybe 3KZ's anyways. ;):thumbsdown:
My junior footy club was the mighty Beaumaris Sharks; breeding ground of champions.

I just completed my customary second viewing of the game replay.

There is a lot to like about that Answerth boy. Looks really confident and assured at the level with a nice clean skill set. Roos made a comment about him at one stage along the lines that "he's a pretty good player this Answerth".

Roos is a tough marker so that from him carries some weight.

Getting him st 50 something in the draft looks a steal.

EDIT: the umpiring didn't improve on the second viewing:mad::thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I just completed my customary second viewing of the game replay.

There is a lot to like about that Answerth boy. Looks really confident and assured at the level with a nice clean skill set. Roos made a comment about him at one stage along the lines that "he's a pretty good player this Answerth".

Roos is a tough marker so that from him carries some weight.

Getting him st 50 something in the draft looks a steal.

EDIT: the umpiring didn't improve on the second viewing:mad::thumbsdown:

Even better that the pick we used to get him was part of the Beams trade :cool:

Just watched the replay and thought I'd give a few shout outs to some of the more unheralded Performances.

McCarthy: his pressure was insane and some of his disposals were clutch even when under pressure. He competed really well and played one hell of a game for a forward who didn't score.

Nick Robbo: first quarter aside, he negated Breust and that is no easy feat. I'm not sure if his future as a defender, but as a player who will go in, play his role and give 110% you know exactly what you'll get when giving Nick a job.

Rayner: not a huge game stat wise, but got his two snags at very important times, tackled very well and also did some very smart tap work to get the ball to team mates. He looked full of confidence at the end of the game and if that can carry over to next week, I can see him absolutely blowing the Blues away up forward.

Keays: 21 pressure acts and 5 tackles says it all. He laid huge pressure on the opposition and while he didn't take his chances in front of goal, I'd love to see him get a few more shots to show what he can do. I don't consider him best 22 but definitely consider him as good depth.

It's exciting to think we could potentially have Adams, Bailey, Starc and Berry ready to go come our home game v the Dees, but also knowing we have the depth to win games without them.
Yep, Keays wasn't perfect but I've no doubt the coaches will have appreciated the way he went about it. I reckon his performance - coupled with his NEAFL form - has definitely earnt him a good opportunity to acclimatise to the seniors.
Lewy was back to playing his trademark style on the weekend. It's hard to work out what he was doing last week and possibly his other earlier games. I wonder if he was trying too hard to play a defensive game previously and this week he was given more freedom to attack?
Lewy always seems to go well when I'm there.

So you think the umpiring was good? Like I say I sit next to a retired umpire, a hall of fame who explains every decision and when he starts bowing up I know the umpiring is crap. Plus the 2 times the out of zone umpire corrected the guy on the scene he was looking right at the play and unobstructed.

Who’s the retired umpire you sit with?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done guys and girls on a good win. We’re an average side and you did what good teams do and had your way with us from 20 minute mark if the first.

IMO you are the most watchable team this year and that’s good for footy in Qld.

Finally when hawk supporters said they’d never swap hodge for Judd and we were laughed at you now see why. It’s the package not just player.

All the best on season 2019 and the future.

Highlights for me

Squizzy - love the little guy and happy to see him back to his best and close to starting 22
Answerth - so much potential. loved watching him fearlessly stream through the corridor and kick a monster I50
Rayner - great to see him returning to form with a couple of goals

Rayner - great to see him returning to form with a couple of goals

Its funny I seem to expect Rayner to get more goals than he does. Its just when he gets them they look so beautiful going through. Really happy he got the first goal of the day.

On 'On the couch' they chucked up a stat of the best 2 and worst 2 at the % differenceofgettable shots and % of achieving them. Anyone know if they have the stats for us too? All i know is we're not in the top 2 or bottom two. I'm a bit interested if we are wasting shots, or just having slightly harder ones than the majority.

Back