Prediction Round 11, 2024: Changes vs Kuwarna (Adelaide)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
During their peaks I swear to god JK and JD never had a set position and they both interchanged between FF and CHF. Reckon Once Allen is back to fitness form it will be like that as well

They should be able to work this pretty easily - if one is up the ground then the other is closer to goal and switch back and forth.

Maric (and arguably J Williams) have also shown more promise than Chesser and Culley IMO.
I’d agree, but would like to keep developing all those mentioned. There’s often a few in a great team that take a little longer but are worth it. Like Shep in the first part of his career, kind of looked a bust, but obvious talent and then a gun.

J Williams an obvious talent as per age bracket and key forward, I’d say developing ahead of time if anything for his position.

Chesser I get the urgency of some posters around what we’ve seen but in his age range and where we are at in rebuild I’m all for keeping him out there. I think he’s starting to look harder in the contest and more composed by hand.

Culley is a question mark for sure, as a mid season pick up (previously overlooked). I do like his versatility though as a mid / fwd and contested types often don’t hit their stride in the league until they have the physical build to match it with established players. I think although he’ll never be quick he could be a very handy contested player / extractor / possibly negating mid / tagging type in time as he looks to be a training standout and is really strong for age. I’m getting Stinger Stenglein vibes (also not quick, but very handy two way player).

Culley will be our 6th best young player behind Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Long & hewett
Would actually like to see a bit more of Culley in a team that isn't being flogged with half the senior players running around half fit with injuries.
In his rising star nom game last year he was just starting to hit his straps then done his knee.
Chesser is only starting to perform close to what has been expected after 3 years, albiet with an injury ruined first year.
Hewett has shown bursts of what he can do but has also not really had a chance to prove himself also due to injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this push Ginbey back to a wing? Looked really good at the coal face on the weekend, particularly early.

I agree with this - went from 30% in centre up to 80% against the Dees and I liked what I saw. Love Ginbey to stay in there too tbh. How do we make it work?

I just think L.Edwards is far more droppable that Dom after the weekend

Does this push Ginbey back to a wing? Looked really good at the coal face on the weekend, particularly early.

I think we could play Kelly more forward to allow more time for Gibney in the guts ( plays better there than on the wing).

For me:

Out: Ledwards
In: Yeo

Sub: JJ
Out of Sub: Dewar

I think we could play Kelly more forward to allow more time for Gibney in the guts ( plays better there than on the wing).

For me:

Out: Ledwards
In: Yeo

Sub: JJ
Out of Sub: Dewar

TKs body language has been so up and down this season. He seems to thrive whenever Yeo is off/out. I'm not sure how he'd take the demotion to HFF for Yeo and Ginbey to play more centre minutes.

To be honest if we bring Yeo in he doesn't have to play at the coalface all game.
With how our mids went against Melbourne without him maybe he can play more half back/forward or even wing and just do bursts in the guts if and when required.
Let's not expose him to any more wear and tear than is necessary, for this reason a straight swap for Edwards is just logical.

TKs body language has been so up and down this season. He seems to thrive whenever Yeo is off/out. I'm not sure how he'd take the demotion to HFF for Yeo and Ginbey to play more centre minutes.

Can we just pause a minute to reflect on how wonderful a dilemma this is to have?

I don’t have have a specific solution but happy that we’re here!

You don't just push someone out who's showing promise, when your 2 senior mids aren't far off retirement themselves.

Especially someone who can play both forward and mid.
He will be wanting games very soon. Who does he come in for this year? or next year? hes probably too big and slow to be part of the mid/fwd rotation when we are already flush with tall forwards and hes not taking huge midfield time over Reid, Hewett, Ginbey or Kelly in the next 2 years even if Yeo isnt there
Hes just awkward to fit in a balanced squad
Hard to see how he could do much worse than Edwards on the wing tbh. Culley’s slow but so is Edwards - at least Culley could provide a marking option.

Not that I think Culley should be brought in to play wing necessarily
I cant imagine doing that much running would be in Culleys wheelhouse, maybe the MC see different.
You don't just push someone out who's showing promise, when your 2 senior mids aren't far off retirement themselves.

Especially someone who can play both forward and mid.
Kelly is 29, probably at least 3 years left maybe more if we are winning games and he can rotate off a wing or HFF.
Hes not that close to retirement

This is an alarmingly bad take. You are basically saying who does a still slightly underdone Culley come in for this week - or else he’s trade bait. First off we have no idea what his ceiling is as he’s had an injury interrupted & short time at the club.

Kelly / Yeo / Sheed will not play forever. Maybe the newly invigorated negating mid role that Sheed played on the weekend against Clarry is a useful one that Culley could play successor to, maybe sooner than we think.

Could be our next Reddo or Pridda and has little trade value yet due to limited exposure and you are thinking out now?

No way I’m trading Culley right now if I’m West Coast
I was already assuming Yeo takes Sheeds spot, Hewett takes LEdwards spot, JJ out for Long or Brockman, theres not really anybody else youd remove from the midfield/HFF rotation. We still have to fit in our first pick next year in the team too, if its a midfielder then its even harder to fit Culley in.
Where do you see Culley coming in?

Culley will be our 6th best young player behind Reid, Ginbey, Chesser, Long & hewett
Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Maric, Long, Chesser, potentially JWilliams, along with whoever we get int eh draft next year.
Im trying to think how he fits in more than just to end the year, but long term

I was already assuming Yeo takes Sheeds spot, Hewett takes LEdwards spot, JJ out for Long or Brockman, theres not really anybody else youd remove from the midfield/HFF rotation. We still have to fit in our first pick next year in the team too, if its a midfielder then its even harder to fit Culley in.
Where do you see Culley coming in?
Hewett will be slow burn through WAFL post bye. Long out for season. Dewar fringe but improving, Culley also been used as Sub before due to his fwd ability.

Could be a toss up as a switch for Maric also when fit and back to best, also with mid versatility and the fact our marking targets are growing with the emergence of J.Will and the fact Culley offers something different to the fwd mix.

Getting rid of a just 21yr old with plenty of nice AFL attributes because you can’t fit him in right now (not even close to knowing his ceiling) is utter madness

Even if Culley is just good depth, you don't win premierships having no depth.
I think he will want time in the 1s, and the other thing to consider is we will need to start either trading guys out or delisting young players.
We are already likely to struggle to find enough guys we are happy delisting, especially now that Witho and Rotham have shown some decent form. Culley needing to be upgraded to the main list just takes another spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back