Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I highlighted Steele’s, given the fact he fulfils a need here, at no stage was a point of comparison made to Seb’s 0 centre clearances.

We need goal assists too. Two delightful kicks by Seb led to goals. All the rubbish bombs from Steele led to none.

That's before the two-way running...

Pretty hard for seb to get a centre clearance when he wasn't in there even once.

View attachment 2002236

Meanwhile steeles 23 centre bounce attendences for 2 clearances is gross.

As was marshalls 23 for 0; and
Dow 17 cbas for 1 clearance.

Yet again, jack sinclair showed he's basically the only bloke on our entire list capable of winning a centre clearance

(unless you love seeing roma grab the ball and slam it on his boot down the oppo defenders throat all day)

View attachment 2002237

Sincs had his 4 centre clearances off 25 cbas.

Your point is fair. Ross can't get a center bounce clearance if he's not in there. However, he has had three center bounce clearances for the year despite attending 131 center bounces, the fourth-most of all Saints.

I can see why we haven't had him in the center square the last two weeks. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken so long to move him out, given he's having almost no impact in there.

Last edited:
Can I rely on Steele to act like a captain and be the first one to work back rather than the last?

And based on previous performance, relying on Seb for good forward 50 entries is a better bet than relying on Captain Jack for good forward 50 entries.
Both really poor and if we we could replace them we would. Sebs 3rd quarter he was noticeably missing and Steeles shite attitude and poor effort was on display the whole day although his player contribution was ok (he actually kicked a goal).

This is a bit silly.

Jack Steele 11 contested possessions (S Ross 4), 4 score involvements (equal to S Ross), 10 marks (1 mark for Seb), 1 contested mark, 1 mark inside 50, 16 pressure acts (12 for Seb), 4 clearances (1 for Seb), 2 centre clearances, 2 tackles (Seb 0).

Surely there’s more prevailing issues than this.
I notice our midfield keeps getting flogged

Actually hate yacht rock, it's one of music's most ridiculous genres so great comedic value. Like prog rock and muzak had a baby that developed a sedative addiction. That said I bought a Jerry Rafferty album and it's actually very good.
I didn't know yacht rock was a thing until you mentioned it last week, and then realised that this explains why my mum divorced the old man back in the 80's...he was a devoted yacht rocker, and a dickhead of the highest order...primarily because of his music choices.
Yeah, Jerry Rafferty has some good stuff. We're showing our age a bit though. All these hip kids will no longer think we're the cool one's 😆
Like you’ve alluded to, I just think the days are passed where we should be throwing away CBAs to Ross. He didn’t have one on the weekend, Sincs, Dow and Henry taking up more, but disappointing to see Chito and Nas not getting a shot.

I missed at least half the game, so would be interested to know what his role was and whether it was effective or note.
I thought Seb did some okay things. You know what you're going to get from him. He seemed involved in some of our better passages of play which were few and far between. It was a dirty day in general for most players, but he at least kept running, presenting an option, and trying until the end.

Irrelevant and only serves as a convenient distraction ...access to talent is the single most biggest issue our club has standing between us and success... not a coach.
Went OK when the coach was "exploring", gone backwards once he started coaching

THANK YOU

The ultimate yacht rock song (and was written expressly for Saints supporters)

Country radio stations had about ten songs on repeat for a decade. This was one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say this with the greatest of respect but we really really need to quit with the “strap in” stuff.

If Ross just gets his 4 years, regardless of anything, results, development, progression, draft results etc. it’s EXACTLY what’s wrong with this club. I think Kane Cornes said it about Richmond and Yze, that club and it’s supporters won’t accept their shot performances and lack of effort and progression because they are a big club and won’t cop that shit.

We need to have more of that mindset. To be clear I’m not saying turf Ross now, I’m not even saying he needs to make finals (again) in his 4 year term but he can’t just have a completely blank ledger on KPIs for the next 2 and 1/2 seasons, he needs to have some accountability and pressure somewhere.
It's just coming to terms with the reality. There is obviously a lot that Lyon isn't doing right at the moment. The team is playing terribly. Here's a few off the top of my head:
  • Our pressure is terrible.
  • Our skills are awful.
  • We don't have a consistent method that wins us games.

Those things are on the coach and he needs to find a way to improve those things.

However, despite the media noise that is already there we are obviously going to stick with Lyon because for one thing there isn't even that long left on his contract. We made finals year one, this year looking like bottom four and who knows after that. The only way I see us sacking him is if we were to become a complete basket case but we just aren't that yet despite being very average.

The industry is extremely fickle. You win and you're a legend and flying, you lose and you're a hack. We lost a lot of close games and it definitely sucked the life out of the group, right now we are awful but I'd be surprised if we don't start winning games again either later on this year or next year.

In terms of strapping in, it is what it is I think, just trying to come to terms with the reality of where we are at and trying to see some light at the end of the currently very dark tunnel.

We are lacking dynamic movement .... our movement is drab and uninspiring.

There are no players running hard to make space for others and no one it seems is running hard to make an option or if they do they are ignored

Our team play is non-existant ... just a group of individuals fumbling and bumbling through the motions and losing the will to fight

Watch Viney yesterday ... dude never stopped running and making himself an option .... running angles to open up the play and all his team mates were on the same page .... they could see the play unfolding before it happened and all of them were on their bikes moving and in turn running into empty space for the follow up kick and backing each other up

On another note several times yesterday I saw 3 of us fly to spoil one Demons player and once the ball hit the ground we had no one to mop up or at least contest the ground ball

Quite obvious there is huge disconnect between the playing group .... they are not playing on instinct and dare which might be a symptom of being overcoached

Whatever they are being told do is not working ... so Ross and his box buddies need to have a hard rethink about the gameplan in order to re-energise and spark them .... cause this current tumour is spreading fast and is starting to look terminal

OK, so you're saying drop Steele then if we want Crouch/Clark to come in.
DROP. THEM. ALL.

Everybody loves a winner.,

Even when they're thinner,

Going down, like a clown, who gives a damn ....... ?

For Losers ..... ?

When lipstick is ten cents a stick,

That's progress man, in motion,

Got my man's sweet lotion ....... to sooth my sunburnt soul .......

Blacker than brown,

Browner than beige ...... yeah .......

And you can take that, any way you like.

Just don't call me an all day ....... sucker ........

Mother's Day is over,

For Losers ......

For Losers ......

For Losers ......

(RTB read his / this legit original poem to the team at training this morning)

Dani Laidley helped him write it.

gringo2011 and Cairnsman were holding hands in there as he delivered the gospel or so I am told.

(- Archie Sheep circa 1969)

Last edited:
Seb runs around doing nothing so he’s better than Steele?

e8a62a2a13bae5cf2e8164f9782afe0b.jpg

That's just dumbed down moronic fan noise

ok I watched the last 3 quarters and I've figured out the issue..

we have too many GOPs in the midfield, the end

our good players, good decision makers stand out, ross can't kick it for them. Many times we have players out forward of the ball and we hit up the melbourne defender. However when Nas or henry gets it they somehow always seem to hit the kick.

Wilson is good, Nas is great, Henry is good, the backline is strong (minus the port imports), we just need more talent. I've been calling for a full tank/rebuild for years, we need to dip NOW before tas come in and ruin the draft. This year and next year, play the kids and tank, THEN build. Stop trying to build with cut rate players that can't hold up under the heat

final thoughts, steele sucks with ball in hand, as does sinclair at the moment, owens and dow similar but they have other qualities, windhager also looking like a GOP with his disposal/decision making atm but hopefully will improve

I say this with the greatest of respect but we really really need to quit with the “strap in” stuff.

If Ross just gets his 4 years, regardless of anything, results, development, progression, draft results etc. it’s EXACTLY what’s wrong with this club. I think Kane Cornes said it about Richmond and Yze, that club and it’s supporters won’t accept their shot performances and lack of effort and progression because they are a big club and won’t cop that shit.

We need to have more of that mindset. To be clear I’m not saying turf Ross now, I’m not even saying he needs to make finals (again) in his 4 year term but he can’t just have a completely blank ledger on KPIs for the next 2 and 1/2 seasons, he needs to have some accountability and pressure somewhere.
Strap on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back