Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Turgid, dreadful football from us.

Most of you seem to think building a successful AFL football team is basically about building a list.

It’s just not.

It’s about having a gameplan and style that is up-to-date and, most importantly, develops players.

Ross Lyon’s gameplan is so far behind the league it isn’t funny.

Even worse is that, his horrible defensive style only works with squads that are contending.

His style with a developing squad is an absolute disaster.

If you’re for some reason sticking up for what our club has become under Bassat’s horrendous decision making (Ross Lyon FC), you are part of the problem.

The very existence of our club demands that long term members and supporters hold our board accountable.

These board members are so far removed from understanding the trends of the modern game it is laughable.

But just watch them go into damage control now and blame the “list”.

It’s so predictable, and most of you will fall for it (in fact, lots already are, see lots of list blaming lately).

If you take out the north game we’ve averaged 67 points a game since round 2.

****ing kidding yaselves if you reckon this isn’t Rossball.

The players and skills are shit but that score for is only better than North.

We also barely scraped by the Tiges who have been injury hit and shite this year. The harder you look, the shitter this year appears.

If you take out the north game we’ve averaged 67 points a game since round 2.

****ing kidding yaselves if you reckon this isn’t Rossball.

The players and skills are shit but that score for is only better than North.

I don't think he wants this to be Ross ball. It's a lack of mids and a lack of. connection kicking inside 50. We should pay more than we let Gresham go for for a player who can lock the ball inside 50 and break lines too.

Mids and more mids. Don't think Paddy Dow is the answer and if he is we're asking the wrong question.

The Captain's performance needs to be put under the blow torch.

That play where he sooked it up and didn't even give chase.

Looked disinterested.

Showed about as much emotion as Max King after kicking a goal.

Has to be stripped of the Captaincy for next season.

We need some leadership

Wilkie is our man.
Except Wilkie has been pretty ****ing trash this year too

I missed at least half the game, but was pretty clear what was going on. Lyon used to say don’t get beaten at what you know, but geeze our own worst enemy and we continue to dish up the same old:

- Turnovers, same skill errors, fumbly in tight, teams almost happy for us to swell in numbers to contest the ball and then dine off the turnover.

- Uncontested marks on repeat from oppo’s D50 and down the corridor. Weight of numbers not even laying a tackle for the game.

- Any clearance from centre or stoppage has minimal impact, even if we break lines, we still can’t either hit a target or kick to a forwards advantage.

- Forwards made the most of what was absolutely deplorable entry. I would have a s*** attitude too if I was Max and this is what’s being dished up each week.

- 80 turnovers for the game, 124-72 marks and 4 tackles inside 50. Say no more. Can’t even.

As I said at the time. Taking Hill Howard and others instead of drafting our own was absolutely the time we should have been doing what we need to do still. Who rebuilds upside down by trying to draft after you build a side full of average middling talent?
The absolute worst time to be at the bottom of the ladder, GCS have 9 accademy players to pick next season...and that's just the GC, GWS, Sydney, and Brisbane got the same perk.

And that's even before Tasmania come in.

We don't stand a chance.

Don't be a moron and blame the coach....the wrong target.

The wrong target, I implore all members to get in contact with Bassett and ask him to lobby the AFL to get this issue addressed.

We will never get the talent we need under the current system.

I've decided after watching parts of the game intermingled with parts of the Sandy game that with our current list we good field two pretty decent VFL teams.

AFL... well that's another thing altogether.

Turgid, dreadful football from us.

Most of you seem to think building a successful AFL football team is basically about building a list.

It’s just not.

It’s about having a gameplan and style that is up-to-date and, most importantly, develops players.

Ross Lyon’s gameplan is so far behind the league it isn’t funny.

Even worse is that, his horrible defensive style only works with squads that are contending.

His style with a developing squad is an absolute disaster.

If you’re for some reason sticking up for what our club has become under Bassat’s horrendous decision making (Ross Lyon FC), you are part of the problem.

The very existence of our club demands that long term members and supporters hold our board accountable.

These board members are so far removed from understanding the trends of the modern game it is laughable.

But just watch them go into damage control now and blame the “list”.

It’s so predictable, and most of you will fall for it (in fact, lots already are, see lots of list blaming lately).

No-one else wants anything to do with the board. They aren't getting challenged because the club has become an embarrassment.

You still need both. We have a really ordinary list. Possibly you're right that it's not teaching anything good to kids. Bevo at least lets kids play on their instinct I guess.

I don't think he wants this to be Ross ball. It's a lack of mids and a lack of. connection kicking inside 50. We should pay more than we let Gresham go for for a player who can lock the ball inside 50 and break lines too.

Mids and more mids. Don't think Paddy Dow is the answer and if he is we're asking the wrong question.
Yeh I don’t agree. We’ve seen a bunch of good runners and ball users go backwards and look all at see under this system. Nas, Sincs, Wood all have no confidence to go and take the game on. The handful of times it happens (usually by accident eg. king out the back in the first) we actually look okay.

This 9 goals a game shit was honorable when we were hard to score against.

Except Wilkie has been pretty ****ing trash this year too

I reckon he's still alright but under much more pressure this year. Doesn't get beaten too often and still kicks elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he's still alright but under much more pressure this year. Doesn't get beaten too often and still kicks elite.
Disagree. He’s never been an elite kick, he’s a smart decision maker with ball in hand that’s still the case but he’s getting done one out a bit this year. It’s not all his fault but he’s another who has gone backwards

Midfield is shit, kicks inside 50 are shit. Ability to hold the ball in our 50 is shit. Pretty much a lot of our game is lost out of the middle and we try to hold sides back instead of trying to win.
All of our problems are related to how poor our midfield is. Whether it's the game plan or just the lack of skill, bombing it into the forward 50 is far too easy to defend.

Is it any coincidence that our problems started with the appointment of Brendan Goddard as the midfield coach? Like I've said before, we should not be the type of club that allows coaches to learn on the job. Goddard was a great Saints player, but the guy has come straight out of a media gig into coaching (with his first year being as a development coach).

I'd trade Steele, we've broken him - might as well sell him to someone who can use him now. It was a huge mistake making him captain, but the other members of the leadership group are no better. Clean sweep needed.

Then what. Bottom out? When you have one decent mid, selling him doesn't seem a long term solution.

Disagree. He’s never been an elite kick, he’s a smart decision maker with ball in hand that’s still the case but he’s getting done one out a bit this year. It’s not all his fault but he’s another who has gone backwards

I reckon 99% of all issues are out of the middle. Crouch helped hide how weak we were but with Seb going backwards as well we are absolutely uncompetitive now.

A lot of it has to do with our midfield is completely and utterly broken.
We let our one mid we had that broke the lines go in FA

We have all inside mids and no X-factor types in there.

Headless chooks

Lacking skills, but no idea what to do

We are poorly coached

Every year though, I say the same thing.... we need good kicks. Yet we bring in butchers like Dow. yes I know he's supposed to be the ball winner but I don't care. If Bailey smith wanted in we'd be all over it... but he's a sh*t kick too. It absolutely has to be a priority to bring in players that can execute.

We need Dal... Bj... Joey

But regardless of skill errors... we are poorly coached. How anyone can refute that at this point is beyond me.

The president needs to explain how the club intends to overcome the impossible challenge of bringing in talent when even with a high pick in a draft, GCS, GWS, Sydney and Brisbane have the first 25 picks on a yearly basis.
Journalists don’t even talk about it because they’re all earning a good living admiring the swans and gws players. Gold Coast will be there soon too .
Then on the other hand they put the saints down for asking for 2 mcg home games saying we’re kidding ourselves.
It’s getting out of hand .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back