Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Kuwarna

Remove this Banner Ad

If you are talking about the incident where he pulled out of going for a mark, I think he was called out by Rochelle. He was coming back for the ball and dropped his hands thinking one of his team mates had called him out
Dumb then. Rotham pulling out of contests happens too frequently.

He had a shocker yesterday and it is not the first. He is not a third tall, too weak in the contest.

Was probably the worst player yesterday. We need to move past him to build a competitive team.

Just can't play away from home at the moment. We were back to where we were 2 weeks ago vs the Pies.
We'll probably win at the home the next 2 games, but there's been no improvement from the last time we we were on the road.
Simpson has given an out. We’re not focused on away games.

What a joke and a poor comment. Even if he thinks that he shouldn’t be saying it.

Performances like yesterday are just unacceptable on every level. Too many more, and he won’t have a job.

Saying we stagnated for four years because we gave up picks for Kelly is beyond stupid. You think we would be any better with a couple of extra chessers and Burgiels in the team?
I did mention quite a few things yeah?
Maybe read my post again from start to finish.
Comprehension not your strong point?

The predictable result of chugging gallons of bathwater this week

giphy.gif

Yeo wasn't right IMO. He put in a huge burst for 3-4minutes either late 3rd or early 4th quarter and I really did not like seeing him reach for the left groin. The alarms and sirens should be flashing with Elliot's body.

TK. The guy just sort of retreats into this mental "safe space" when the wheels are falling off. He isn't objectively poor but he just looks so detached from it all, like a very capable robot. Just not a leader.

Bailey was always going to struggle to be effective in this one and it feels like we didn't show up with any plans and tactics like last week to help him out, or whatever we thought to do was ineffective at best, counter-productive at worst. Bailey needed to fire up and get angry but instead h just got more and more passive as the game wore on.

Indeed just a procession of soft, passive effort across the ground. A really disappointing game that should have the MC getting out the red texta and drawing a few lines.

I think we have all spotted the few positives - Jwill and Chess showing a bit more each week. Harley trying to lift us and Gov and Barrass down back but it was pretty horrible stuff overall and the midfield had their colours definitively lowered.

Let's see if we can find our mojo again at home or if this has knocked the group off kilter. Lots of unhappy faces out there yesterday.

One clear issue is Bailey is a 2nd ruck and against the monsters he struggles and then we struggle.

Until we get our ruck division breaking even we will cop these floggings from time to time.

Obviously the team didnt respect the Crows rucks like we did Gawn.
We weren’t serious about winning.

Appears little thought was given about the game and the opposition from beginning to end. These are coaching failures.

Began with team selection. Fogarty and Walker always own us and they were playing a couple of third talls as well.
Instead of selecting Edwards who has the height and size to go with someone like Walker or Fogarty we choose useless Rotham and Witherden who are not third talls. Or we assume Hough can do the job which he can’t. He may have put on some weight but he’s a twig on someone like Walker and even Curnow. He’s a tall small not a third tall.

In the first quarter the players were affected by the sun. Preparing for this is again coaching.

Then we had no plan for O’Brien and Adelaide’s game style. We didn’t have a plan A, let alone plan B and C and D.

Sheed out there is pathetic. He’s so far off the pace it’s embarrassing for the player summed up by his running into the back of an opponent at the end and busting his nose. What has Simpson got against Trew, at least the guy can play and is relatively fit. Same old credits crew, it’s just yuk.

I could go on but will stop here.

We weren’t serious about winning.

Appears little thought was given about the game and the opposition from beginning to end. These are coaching failures.

Simpson has said in previous pressers that they have focused on the basics and not a lot has gone into detailed gameplans and specific strategies. Call it a failure if you want, but it's a deliberate approach to avoid making things overly complex for a playing group going through a transition.

Simpson has said in previous pressers that they have focused on the basics and not a lot has gone into detailed gameplans and specific strategies. Call it a failure if you want, but it's a deliberate approach to avoid making things overly complex for a playing group going through a transition.
So everyone has to endure embarrassing massacres like yesterday with players in tears and confused on the bench?

Yesterday was a training drill for Adelaide. We would have been better and done just as well by literally not turning up. We didn't turn up to play as it was.
Simpson is too rigid in his thinking. You have to be able to walk and chew gum.

I don’t see how shockers like yesterday advance anything. Apart from anything else Harley is a winner and wants to be in a winning team not losses like yesterday.

Last edited:
There is a lack of flexibility in the team and no plan B. This is because of 4 senior players - Ryan, Darling, Sheed + Kelly. 4 players who are reliant on others getting them the ball and have no defensive game.

So a forward line of Ryan + 4 talls can be threatening if the ball is coming in but once the midfield service isn't there it falls apart. There is no ground level contest, little to no pressure and no chance to rotate players up the field to help the mids. Take out Ryan + Darling and bring in Culley + Rawlinson which we should be doing anyway in a rebuild, things start to look a lot better. Culley gives you a midfield rotation, can still give you a marking target and can lock the ball inside 50. Rawlinson offers repeat defensive efforts instead of Ryan standing back and watching.

In the midfield there is a desperate need for 2 way running and defensive work around the ball to help out Yeo and Reid. Instead we have Kelly and Sheed. Kelly has always been a terrible fit for this midfield. His refusal to do any form of defensive running exposed Shuey and Redden in their latter years when they were struggling to cover the ground and now it is hurting Yeo and Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are playing direct football, where we do not overpossess the ball, but instead try to move it forward as fast as possible. Looks very dynamic when it works, but Adelaide countered it effectively. They had pressure on the ball carrier and on the target, and continually created turnovers. What worried me more was our complete inability to get it back off them, so they were able to pick us apart and score at will.

There is a lack of flexibility in the team and no plan B. This is because of 4 senior players - Ryan, Darling, Sheed + Kelly. 4 players who are reliant on others getting them the ball and have no defensive game.

So a forward line of Ryan + 4 talls can be threatening if the ball is coming in but once the midfield service isn't there it falls apart. There is no ground level contest, little to no pressure and no chance to rotate players up the field to help the mids. Take out Ryan + Darling and bring in Culley + Rawlinson which we should be doing anyway in a rebuild, things start to look a lot better. Culley gives you a midfield rotation, can still give you a marking target and can lock the ball inside 50. Rawlinson offers repeat defensive efforts instead of Ryan standing back and watching.

In the midfield there is a desperate need for 2 way running and defensive work around the ball to help out Yeo and Reid. Instead we have Kelly and Sheed. Kelly has always been a terrible fit for this midfield. His refusal to do any form of defensive running exposed Shuey and Redden in their latter years when they were struggling to cover the ground and now it is hurting Yeo and Reid.

Maybe this is why we have reported interest in the mid from WA in the MSD. Two way running mid with more leg speed than Sheed and can kick a goal.

Darling 12 tackles last week and defended well. This week no one defended in the first quarter and at 46 to 2 the game was gone.

Witherden and Sheed under injury clouds. Two of the slower types.

Replace with Trew who's playing for his career and Burgeil who has real pace.

Frustrating game to watch as a fan. Adelaide played very well and had a clear plan to cut through our defence, which seemed to affect the confidence of our guys.

We've been up since the Sydney game and I think everyone here expected to see a few down games this season.

Positives: Even through a bad loss like this there are some green shoots. Chesser's run down tackle was a highlight. Bailey Williams ruck work has improved from last season.
Our seconds had a win.
We improved on our last trip to AO against Adelaide by about 20 points
If we're going to loose to anyone by 100 points I don't mind it being Adelaide.
Tom Cole in good from.

Negatives: Adelaide Oval - What was a bit of a fortress for us is now a ground we struggle at. Last 3 games average loosing margin of 90 points. Our game plan doesn't translate well at the moment.
Everything else.

Kelly and Darling do have defensive games. Darling's main output this season as a key fwd is to be right up there in defensive stats, it's offensively where he's struggled.

Kelly is not like Dustin Martin, he defends, he's always quite up there in pressure acts and registers good tackle numbers. His primary role is the attacking clearance so he won't always be following his man through a stoppage as he will be looking to get it moving towards goal. For an attacking mid I think his numbers are good.

Negatives
Poor team effort
Bailey Williams. Every time we have been thrashed usually it is when Bailey comes against a real good ruckman.
If trading Bailey to Richmond for Baker is a option i am for it. Would rather us bring in another ruck in at the main draft as only having Flynn and Barnett is not enough. We have too many tall forward/Second ruck types and it is hindering not only the Afl team but the Wafl team.

Positives
By not winning we kept our third pick in the MSD. Hopefully make the right choice.
Another Tall forward is not needed but anything else will do.

Negatives
Poor team effort
Bailey Williams. Every time we have been thrashed usually it is when Bailey comes against a real good ruckman.
If trading Bailey to Richmond for Baker is a option i am for it. Would rather us bring in another ruck in at the main draft as only having Flynn and Barnett is not enough. We have too many tall forward/Second ruck types and it is hindering not only the Afl team but the Wafl team.

Positives
By not winning we kept our third pick in the MSD. Hopefully make the right choice.
Another Tall forward is not needed but anything else will do.
I'm in favour of trading Bailey. He's not a ruckman and he's not a forward. He's somewhere in between and I don't think he has a high enough ceiling.

Huge swings in opinion and mood on here from last week to this week, myself included.
We were all bright eyed and bushy tailed last week, glorious rejoicers - and now it's lynch the coach and sack half the team?

That old saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' - admittedly there isn't much bathwater left as they seem to have drank most of it ?
However, instead of slashing+burning, I'm happy to park the Crows game aside as an anomaly, and see what transpires over the next 2 games and after the bye, regarding form and trends.
The big picture, the long view, we're rebuilding, it's a work in progress...there'll be more disappointing losses and hopefully a few wins with maybe our first away win before the season's end...

Couldn't for the life of me, figure out why the Adelaide crowd where booing Harley???

It's cos they are imbeciles. Very poor form booing a kid thats played a handful of games - and hasn't pissed off half of the footy world like JHF did.

It has been addressed in the media and roundly criticised. They made themselves look backwards and stupid - which i suppose is consistent with my experience in visiting Adelaide.

Last edited:
Huge swings in opinion and mood on here from last week to this week, myself included.
We were all bright eyed and bushy tailed last week, glorious rejoicers - and now it's lynch the coach and sack half the team?

That old saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' - admittedly there isn't much bathwater left as they seem to have drank most of it ?
However, instead of slashing+burning, I'm happy to park the Crows game aside as an anomaly, and see what transpires over the next 2 games and after the bye, regarding form and trends.
The big picture, the long view, we're rebuilding, it's a work in progress...there'll be more disappointing losses and hopefully a few wins with maybe our first away win before the season's end...

I'm not in the sack coach delist players group - but I am very disappointed in what appeared to be a gameplan that was exposed from the first bounce with little to no recourse for the rest of the game and players looking lethargic and disinterested.

It was a big reality check as to where we really are but disappointing nonetheless. Put it in the rear view now and move onto the next game with some better prep and intensity (hopefully).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back