Autopsy Round 11, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Kuwarna

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying we stagnated for four years because we gave up picks for Kelly is beyond stupid. You think we would be any better with a couple of extra chessers and Burgiels in the team?

Pretty sure we could have drafted Chad Warner with one of the picks we gave up for Kelly 🤠

Couldn't for the life of me, figure out why the Adelaide crowd where booing Harley???
Yes, that was really disappointing, in fact very annoying. I was already annoyed by the Eagles' putrid lack of effort, the inconsistent umpiring and having to listen to Dwayne Russell and Mark Ricciuto (two of the most annoying commentators in the game), then the Crom fans started booing Harley. I'm like: why? Because he's good? Because he's confident? Because the media has hyped him (hardly his fault)? Because he was the only Eagles player showing any spirit? Because he draws tackles and so sometimes free kicks? None of those are reasons for booing a tenth gamer who is going to make the AFL a much better spectator product for the next decade or more. I'm not normally vindictive, but I was feeling like I hope Harley, for the rest of his career, hopefully entirely for us, but for whoever else he might play for if he does, makes every one of those Crows fans who booed him miserable by dominating them and bringing defeat after defeat to them.

I'm not in the sack coach delist players group - but I am very disappointed in what appeared to be a gameplan that was exposed from the first bounce with little to no recourse for the rest of the game and players looking lethargic and disinterested.

It was a big reality check as to where we really are but disappointing nonetheless. Put it in the rear view now and move onto the next game with some better prep and intensity (hopefully).
Absolutely it was disappointing and seemed completely unexplainable, even to the coach.
We don't really know what was behind it all and who is to blame, might see some hints during the week? Don't know if it was the coach, the players or the Crows coach dissecting us or something else?

That's why we need a bigger sample size, a longer view to see which way the form of both coach and team are trending inmho. If we lose both home games coming and get flogged away against Essendon and Melbourne, we're in the familiar regressive land of deep sh*t, or the coach is!!....(even if we lose the two home games)(win one is a pass)
Anyway, regroup and reset after the bye...

Last edited:
We weren’t serious about winning.

Appears little thought was given about the game and the opposition from beginning to end. These are coaching failures.

Began with team selection. Fogarty and Walker always own us and they were playing a couple of third talls as well.
Instead of selecting Edwards who has the height and size to go with someone like Walker or Fogarty we choose useless Rotham and Witherden who are not third talls. Or we assume Hough can do the job which he can’t. He may have put on some weight but he’s a twig on someone like Walker and even Curnow. He’s a tall small not a third tall.

In the first quarter the players were affected by the sun. Preparing for this is again coaching.

Then we had no plan for O’Brien and Adelaide’s game style. We didn’t have a plan A, let alone plan B and C and D.

Sheed out there is pathetic. He’s so far off the pace it’s embarrassing for the player summed up by his running into the back of an opponent at the end and busting his nose. What has Simpson got against Trew, at least the guy can play and is relatively fit. Same old credits crew, it’s just yuk.

I could go on but will stop here.
When Harry Edwards is the answer you are asking the wrong question.

When we play the older guys and the team we play that are good at the spread, adelaide collingwood etc we get slaughtered because the leg speed is missing, but if we go younger the game fitness of preseasons isnt there

When we play the older guys and the team we play that are good at the spread, adelaide collingwood etc we get slaughtered because the leg speed is missing, but if we go younger the game fitness of preseasons isnt there

ALMOST LIJKE OUR LIST HAS A GAPING HOLE IN THE 23-26 BRACKET

He wouldn't be playing this way for us the way he's playing right now. Sydney know how to extract and harness the best of everyone

Easy to say that though. Really, our football department should be well equipped to get the best out of our players.

If not, why not? Really isn't any excuse for it being one of the largest and most prestigious clubs in the country.

If you have a better question and answer then I would be interested to hear it.
Sorry Seadog but I agree with Bacchus. Tex and Fog bully us. Gov and TB are excellent players but are vulnerable to players who use their body a lot.
That said; it doesn’t mean HED is the answer but he’s a big boy and his form at WAFL last couple of games can’t be faulted.I think he has a good skill set and it’s not like Tex and Fog are Olympic class sprinters.

Pretty sure we could have drafted Chad Warner with one of the picks we gave up for Kelly 🤠
And what about the other 10 failed midfielders drafted in that range? Any pick outside top ten for inside mids is a massive gamble. The data shows that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did mention quite a few things yeah?
Maybe read my post again from start to finish.
Comprehension not your strong point?
How were the other points relevant to what I said? Kelly shouldn’t even be in the conversation about our stagnation over the last four years. Possibly you would have an argument for the next four years.

How were the other points relevant to what I said? Kelly shouldn’t even be in the conversation about our stagnation over the last four years. Possibly you would have an argument for the next four years.
Why wouldn't he be?

We paid more for him than we got for Judd.
3 first round picks iirc and all for another flag possibly.

What talent could we have picked up in 20-21 with those picks?
Someone mentioned Warner but who knows how they would be performing.
One thing is for sure is they would be 3 years into a career with possibly 50 games experience and we would have 3 players to select from instead of 1 tim Kelly who turn
s the ball over and goes missing when we are losing.

That's ok though, hindsight is wonderful and we could have won the flag with him if covid didn't hit.

It is however relevant to the discussion.

Huge swings in opinion and mood on here from last week to this week, myself included.
We were all bright eyed and bushy tailed last week, glorious rejoicers - and now it's lynch the coach and sack half the team?

That old saying 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' - admittedly there isn't much bathwater left as they seem to have drank most of it ?
However, instead of slashing+burning, I'm happy to park the Crows game aside as an anomaly, and see what transpires over the next 2 games and after the bye, regarding form and trends.
The big picture, the long view, we're rebuilding, it's a work in progress...there'll be more disappointing losses and hopefully a few wins with maybe our first away win before the season's end...
I think you’re on the money. The running teams like Adelaide have killed us this year 3 time including the pre season. There are some obvious problems but some of them will get better as players return. At least we have won some games and can see more to come. There is a vast improvement from last year and we never expected to be any better than mid ladder. My disappointment is more from players like Brockman who looks to have great talent but just doesn’t get tha ball enough. I thought Ryan might be finished but there are signs he is improving which is great

So so lazy at closing down space . I was sitting in my chair ( along with 100s of BFers ) saying
“ now he kicks to him; look the next guy is running into space he’ll get it ; yep, and here comes the outside runner for the handball. Cmon guys that was U16 witches hat football.
Nothing to do with talent,size,age ( ooright a bit) and everything to do with desire.
The obvious question constantly asked is “ who’s responsible for attitude”???
Surely more onus must fall on the coaches.They should have the players geed up to walk over hot coals not timidly poking a toe into cold ashes !!

Curious, cbf verifying that but I assume he's gone off total team "kms travelled" from the Tracker tab of the AFL app?

Not that I look at the team totals too highly, but I do glance at them from time to time to check sprint efforts and I don't recall any major discrepancies in total kms covered in our games.

**** it here goes, our kms vs the opponents:

Rd 1 - Loss vs Port
265 vs 259 = +7 kms
+29 sprints
+14 repeat sprints

Rd 2 - Loss vs GWS
277 vs 282 = -5 kms
-25 sprints
+3 repeat sprints

Rd 3 - Loss vs Dogs
255 vs 257 = +2 kms
-31 sprints
-19 repeat sprints

Rd 4 - Loss vs Swans
291 vs 285 = +6 kms
-20 sprints
-6 repeat sprints

Rd 5 - Win vs Tigers
277 vs 272 = +5 kms
-30 sprints
-10 repeat sprints

Rd 6 - Win vs Freo
268 vs 260 = +8 kms
+27 sprints
+4 repeat sprints

Rd 7 - Loss vs Suns
273 vs 278 = -5 kms
-22 sprints
-7 repeat sprints

Rd 8 - Loss vs Bombers
283 vs 282 = +1 km
+18 sprints
+5 repeat sprints

Rd 9 - Loss vs Pies
240 vs 257 = -17 kms
-39 sprints
-2 repeat sprints

Rd 10 - Win vs Demons
275 vs 272 = +3 kms
+9 sprints
+8 repeat sprints

Rd 11 - Loss vs Adelaide
282 vs 283 = -1 km
+18 sprints
+6 repeat sprints

So in our 8 losses, 4 we've covered more distance than the opponent and 1 of those we only covered 1 less km (vs Adelaide).

In our 3 wins we've covered more distance than our opponents as a team, but one of those is +1 km so basically even over 22 players.

Our win vs Tigers we got smashed in sprints and repeat sprints.

Port and Adelaide we beat in sprint efforts but lost both games comfortably.

7 out of 11 rounds we've covered more distance than our opponents.

Biggest negative discrepancy comes from the Collingwood game.

Not really fussed what career the person is chasing, I thought it was an interesting stat personally
Yeah but the stat is in complete isolation.

For example, if the players were awesome at contested marking and simply stood on the spot and kicked to each other all game without moving, then they'd barely have any kms registered.

Or, if they play by kicking up the guts all the time, they'd have far less kms than teams that constantly switch the ball.

It's not a reflection of effort on its own.

The stat is flawed anyway. Jake Waterman is averaging 43km per game :p

Forget the the jibe at the end, it still probably explains how far off alot of the comp we are in terms of workrate

Between 1st and last that's 790m
Not a whole lot.
This also doesn't say how effective that running is. I mean Gaff clocks up the Km's ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back