Player Watch Round 11 v Essendon - Dreamtime At The G - MCG Saturday May 25th 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an insane thing to say.
Before last week (where he played, around 90% on the forward flank) he was objectively one of our best midfielders. Defensively he led pressure acts against the Dogs and was 2nd for pressure acts against Freo. He got 18 touches with limited midfield time in both those games and still managed to amass six clearances against the Dogs.

Look, I know I'm biased, but how anyone can actually say he needs to go back to the VFL to find form is actually ridiculous. He has been shifted around the ground by the coaches and isn't being given a chance to settle in a position.

When he went back to the VFL earlier this year, both games he got 30+ and dominated. What else do you want him to do? Get 50 and 5 goals to go with it?

I’m not against him but I am being realistic. He had his most midfield minutes v Fremantle on the back of some decent VFL form. He got smashed against Fremantle but he wasn’t alone. Fremantles top 3 nearly hit 110 disposals and even there Sonsie equivalent Johnson had a good day out. Sonsie has had two games since and for some reason hasn’t been trusted with much midfield time and hasn’t shown he is AFL standard yet, but again he’s not alone.

One issue with Sonsie is he’s not that big and athletically he’s not elite. He really needs to become a genuine midfielder a bit like Prestia. It has been disappointing Yze hasn’t played him there much which is why he probably needs to go back to the VFL dominate in the midfield and demand a spot in the midfield. Instead of running around half forward where his impact is limited.

He’s probably playing this week so he’ll get another chance to prove he’s at the level but if he doesn’t he should have that run in the VFL midfield. As should Dow when Taranto and Hopper are back in.

Our standards for player selection this year has obviously dropped due to injury but with quite a few players returning and new players about to be in the fold the bar needs to be brought back up. Midfielders should really be getting up in that 20+ disposal bracket most weeks or offering the team something else it needs. Otherwise they should be having a mix of spells in the AFL and VFL until they can find that level and be consistent.

In: Trezise Baker Smith Banks Ryan Campbell
Out: Vlastuin Mansell Coulthard (inj) McIntosh Pickett Green (omit)

B: Broad Miller Young
HB: Short Trezise Brown
C: Ralphsmith Prestia Banks
HF: Baker Bolton D.Rioli
F: Lefau Balta Cumberland
R: Nankervis Martin McAuliffe
IC: Smith Sonsie Campbell Ryan
SUB: Dow

vlastuin out
Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the video on the club website. Daniel Rioli "From Tiwi to Tigerland". Heart-warming. Will make you smile. 😊

Righto lads. Whats your tip this week?

I'm thinking it will be 24-13 frees (in favour of the Dons) with 1x 50m penalty for both sides.

We will also be +6 for defensive area slip-overs where they'll score 3 goals and 1 behind.
Will be going the "Umpires Special" same game multi. 3 legs will be the free kick differential (-15), 50m penalties against (+3), and an ARC overturn(+1).

Last edited:
No presser today? Strange
Probably got wind of people being upset about him laughing at the VFL and didn't want to run the risk of possibly smiling at the presser to make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back