Autopsy Round 12, 2020: Sydney 10.6.66 DEF GWS 0.7.7

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to acknowledge the unsung heroes of tonight - those who get a regular bucketing on this board, including:

- O'Riordon - did not lose a 1 on 1
- Thurlow - was virtually faultless and contributed a goal
- Melican - back to his 2017 best
- Florent - did a lot of dirty grunt work in traffic
- Sinclair - pantsed Sauce

They may never become Swans greats, but for the life of me I cannot understand how people can dismiss them outright as list cloggers etc.

Florent needs a spell in the 2s
Disagree.

When Papley and Florent went into the middle tonight, we actually won clearances - something I’d almost given up on. Florent has really developed physical presence.

Don’t think there’s a single player that deserves criticism after tonight.

Giants were insipid, but how you can criticise the Swans when they basically held the opposition goalless (the umps kicked all 3 for the Giants).

I'm his biggest critic but that was one of the best games I've seen Sinclair play. Basically faultless and a genuine contributor.
Won the hitouts too

But GWS rucks are almost as bad as ours

Won the hitouts too

But GWS rucks are almost as bad as ours

I think you are probably right but I'd rather credit the guy tonight as I normally take every chance to ride his performance. His attitude and around the ground performance was exceptional for him. His link up play and marking were strong.

Haven't posted much this year but a great performance tonight.
I've been genuinely excited by our attacking ball movement this year. Hasn't always paid off but I can see that that Horse and team are utilising the pace and skills of this developing team. You compare that to GWS who have all the talent in the world and no idea how to move the ball. Kudos to the coaching group.
Tonight was the most complete performance from our group this year. The experienced players were awesome.
The much maligned like Melican, COR and Thurlow were solid as. Parker, Rampe. lloyd, Sinclair, Dawson were brilliant.
For so long the Swans have been a very predictable side which was fine when you were better than the opposition but I'm loving the x-factor at the moment. When you attack and play with confidence you make mistakes but you get rewarded with your dare. Combine the flair with intensity and you have something the young players can enjoy and benefit from.
This playing group is developing really well.

What a great four quarter performance....the future was really symbolised by the Stephens goal where I think the lead up was Bell, Wicks, Foot and Stephens and a great shot of Wicks Stephens and Foot celebrating....

- Gotta say Melican served me up a big piece of humble pie, he was very good tonight and hopefully can continue to build now with that performance under his belt.
- Hayward on Haynes was a masterstroke
-Parker was immense, particularly qtr 1
-Is it possible Sinclair is playing the best footy he has played at Sydney, his work around the ground has jumped up enormously
-Rampe in AA form
-Rowbottom is a gun - out and out...he is also right at home in a Bloods jumper
-Definition of competitor - just look for T Papley...a super mature effort tonight
-Blakey showed what a spell in the twos can do for your confidence, the rest was the right move, playing in the midfield the right move as well..awesome game
-Stephen is looking the goods, better and better and showed composure tonight
-Foot was awesome, I hope E Taylor paid close attention to how he went about it tonight
-Reid showed his value tonight as well,very solid

Overall we did not have a poor player. Happy to be proven wrong with Melican and glad to see a performance that had guts and drive written all over it.

You know you were stiffed with the frees when Jason Dunstall is saying we were stiffed.

Disagree.

When Papley and Florent went into the middle tonight, we actually won clearances - something I’d almost given up on. Florent has really developed physical presence.

Don’t think there’s a single player that deserves criticism after tonight.

Giants were insipid, but how you can criticise the Swans when they basically held the opposition goalless (the umps kicked all 3 for the Giants).
Florent had 12 disposals at 33% disposal efficiency that’s ordinary for a midfielder. As for the contested possessions he had 5 which leaves only 7 players in the team with less than that.

It was a great win but you can’t sugar coat Florent’s performance because that was below average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only did those flogs not mark players running past the mark - they didn't even have anyone on the bloody mark !
On the 50 meter line !!
😂

I love Dawson

EDIT: Also shows GWS' attitude imo

Don't know if we drop a player next week, great to get some consistency into the team.

Florent had 12 disposals at 33% disposal efficiency that’s ordinary for a midfielder. As for the contested possessions he had 5 which leaves only 7 players in the team with less than that.

It was a great win but you can’t sugar coat Florent’s performance because that was below average.
You also have to look at the last quarter, best quarter by him. Imo should probably be dropped, but not all quarters are equal either.

lol sorry but some of the names on that list. Yes, we draft players every year
The point is that most are playing, and the ones that aren't have been. Except Gould.

Don't get bogged down with logic, it's terribly sobering...

Think you need to be careful about placing too much emphasis on raw stats. Have a close look at the inside work from Florent.

Yes, some of the quick kicks out of congestion weren’t effective, but he was a real physical presence & crucial to our stoppage work. Don’t think we can afford him to be in the 2’s.

there is cause for concern there. Those are unusually shallow i50s where you can’t usually expect to score as easily as we did.

We won most of the important stats, so it’s not like the win was a fluke, but the number and quality of our forward entries was poor, reflecting a lack of forward structure (or a midfield that’s not seeing the right option)

in contrast, St Kilda are having the year they are because they keep generating shots from basically directly in front.

there is cause for concern there. Those are unusually shallow i50s where you can’t usually expect to score as easily as we did.

We won most of the important stats, so it’s not like the win was a fluke, but the number and quality of our forward entries was poor, reflecting a lack of forward structure (or a midfield that’s not seeing the right option)

in contrast, St Kilda are having the year they are because they keep generating shots from basically directly in front.
We are a young, bottom 4 side. That's why

- Almost forgot how nice it was to get midway through the 4th quarter knowing you've got the win the bag. I know GWS were really poor tonight but still enjoyable to see a full 4 quarter performance again too.
- Captains were brilliant tonight.
- Melican finally showed some 2017 form, whole defence was awesome tonight.
- Shows how important getting a ruck is for us (just like the Adelaide game), when we get a break even or better the quality of our clearances are much better. GWS rucks are pretty cooked, but credit to Sinclair he still had to get the job done and he gave Jacobs a bath today, and held his marks. Good game from him.
- Bar the Richmond game, I've really been pretty happy with Horse's coaching this year, he's definitely started evolving the style...Haynes has cut us up all too often so finally playing a tight role on him and not allowing his intercepts was a massive reason for the win.
- To kick a reasonable score (for a shortened game anyway) without needing a bag from Papley/Franklin or Heeney is a good sign. Started to see some really nice ball movement passages in our play this year, moreso in the last month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back