Autopsy Round 12, 2021: Sydney v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, late on this. In the last minute Buddy got a free kick in front of goal. Do we know why? The coverage was awful but in the fleeting replay it seemed like nothing happened. Byrnes brushed his arm? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Sorry, late on this. In the last minute Buddy got a free kick in front of goal. Do we know why? The coverage was awful but in the fleeting replay it seemed like nothing happened. Byrnes brushed his arm? Apologies if this has already been discussed.
I think it was a ‘holding the man’ to rowbottom, as he wasn’t immediately released from a tackle... pretty dubious at best, then a 50.

I had to watch that bit a few times to try and work out what the hell had happened.

I think it was a ‘holding the man’ to rowbottom, as he wasn’t immediately released from a tackle... pretty dubious at best, then a 50.

I had to watch that bit a few times to try and work out what the hell had happened.
I basically cracked the shits as soon as the free was paid because I knew that was the game over. So I walked away and that was that.

Cheating.

Yeah it was an incredibly soft free, those tackles happen a dozen times a match. They rarely get paid, let alone in the final 60 seconds and to win the game. Sh*zen. No commentary on that free, but hey, let's jump on the kid with a bad back until he's buried.

It was the best of games, it was the worst of games.

Wow, quoting Charles Dickens - it’s getting quite upmarket on here 😉

I studied Tale of Two Cities as a school setwork book many moons ago, and that “almost” quote just jumped out at me.

Not one of our guys? I beg to differ, Tim Membery looks as comfortable as anyone in the comp and has a terrific technique. Yes he doesn't always kick straight but I believe his overall career kicking efficiency is pretty good. Anyway if you read my last post, my point is that you don't need a long run up to kick it 30 metres out, yes have a routine, just make it a short one which I believe makes it less think time, less time to focus on the negative stuff, less chance to stuff up the run up. If you have a look at Lockett's, Gehrig's routine their run ups were only 6 or 7 metres long. Anyway it is just my opinion, keep it simple I say
... I didn’t argue with you.

And right now even membs doesn’t look comfortable. No one in our team looks like they want the responsibility of taking a set shot.

Wow, quoting Charles Dickens - it’s getting quite upmarket on here 😉

I studied Tale of Two Cities as a school setwork book many moons ago, and that “almost” quote just jumped out at me.

I know he's not very well regarded by some these days but I like Dickens, his good guys were good guys and his bad guys were bad guys. Balzac was like the French version and worth a read too, saying that you enjoy Dickens and Balzac sounds like a campy euphemism though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he's not very well regarded by some these days but I like Dickens, his good guys were good guys and his bad guys were bad guys. Balzac was like the French version and worth a read too, saying that you enjoy Dickens and Balzac sounds like a campy euphemism though.

Didn’t realise he wasn’t well regarded these days.
His books were classics as far as I am concerned. Tale of two Cities was an excellent book, especially his great tragic hero, Sydney Carton.
David Copperfield, Great Expectations etc were all required reading growing up ( I’m dating myself probably.)
Should I be embarrassed to say I haven’t read Balzac? Heard of him, of course.

Didn’t realise he wasn’t well regarded these days.
His books were classics as far as I am concerned. Tale of two Cities was an excellent book, especially his great tragic hero, Sydney Carton.
David Copperfield, Great Expectations etc were all required reading growing up ( I’m dating myself probably.)
Should I be embarrassed to say I haven’t read Balzac? Heard of him, of course.

He's accused of being anti-Semitic and generally racist which is probably more to do with the times he was writing in and attitudes of the day. He was a real voice for social justice for those times and gave a bit of humanity to the poor and working class people. He's also accused of glorifying wealth and privilege as the ideal as well. Most of his tales are of social mobility up or down but the end game is to lose the indignity of being poor and attain wealth and move into the upper classes.

Still good stories though, just don't use them to base your world views on and read them with in the context of when they were created and they are still worth reading. Dickens character names were so good, he was like Roald Dahl where his names were painting a picture of the awfulness of the personality. I loved Uriah Heep, the name and the character just work so well together.

Balzac pretty much wrote this sprawling intertwined lot of books that all link in and have characters that cross over, lots of social class struggles of fallen elites and petty struggles for esteem in the eyes of awful people. Pretty much in the Dickens vein but seem classier because the names are French. Realistically his name is is just too funny not to read his books. I have French friends who hate Balzac and think of him like modern people think of Dickens.

Don't like him much.
I prefer Darles Chickens , his books Knickerless Knickleby , Rarnaby Budge .........

... I didn’t argue with you.

And right now even membs doesn’t look comfortable. No one in our team looks like they want the responsibility of taking a set shot.
I didn't feel like you were arguing with me either, just a difference of opinion sir.

Just realised I haven’t done these for a couple of weeks:

Red time

1 - 6 goals (1, 3, 1, 1)

2 - 4 goals (1, 2, 1, 0)

3 - 7 goals (2, 2, 2, 1)

4 - 5 goals (3, 2, 0, 0)

5 - 7 goals (0, 2, 3, 2)

6 - 3 goals (0, 2, 1, 0)

7 - 6 goals (0, 2, 2, 2)

8 - 2 goals (0, 0, 2, 0)

9 - 2 goals (0, 1, 0, 1)

10 - 5 goals (1, 2, 2, 0)

11 - 3 goals (1, 0, 0, 2)

12 - 5 goals (2, 0, 2, 1)

Total - 55 (ave 4.58) (11, 18, 16, 10)

He's accused of being anti-Semitic and generally racist which is probably more to do with the times he was writing in and attitudes of the day. He was a real voice for social justice for those times and gave a bit of humanity to the poor and working class people. He's also accused of glorifying wealth and privilege as the ideal as well. Most of his tales are of social mobility up or down but the end game is to lose the indignity of being poor and attain wealth and move into the upper classes.

Still good stories though, just don't use them to base your world views on and read them with in the context of when they were created and they are still worth reading. Dickens character names were so good, he was like Roald Dahl where his names were painting a picture of the awfulness of the personality. I loved Uriah Heep, the name and the character just work so well together.

Balzac pretty much wrote this sprawling intertwined lot of books that all link in and have characters that cross over, lots of social class struggles of fallen elites and petty struggles for esteem in the eyes of awful people. Pretty much in the Dickens vein but seem classier because the names are French. Realistically his name is is just too funny not to read his books. I have French friends who hate Balzac and think of him like modern people think of Dickens.

Yep, agree with all of that. Even Shakespeare had his Shylock.
But honestly, history is history. Times have changed but you cannot erase the past. Rather learn from it.
There was slavery in North America, can’t see the sense in cancelling Gone with the Wind.
Now that you mentioned Balzac’s funny name, I’m always going to think of him that way. Never thought about it before 🤣

This Hawthorn Sydney game currently 57-33 hawks way before right before HT, is showing us what an intact forward line could’ve done to Sydney atm. Swans can still win but, considering we smashed the Hawks, would’ve loved to have a fit King, Marshall and Membrey attacking last week. Anyway, I’ll move on now - it’s footy happens all the time, just the tease of the Saints footy club.

Edit: We get a second crack at the swans as well, really hoping we get up for that one and Higgins kicks 7 😉

Last edited:
This Hawthorn Sydney game currently 57-33 hawks way before right before HT, is showing us what an intact forward line could’ve done to Sydney atm. Swans can still win but, considering we smashed the Hawks, would’ve loved to have a fit King, Marshall and Membrey attacking last week. Anyway, I’ll move on now - it’s footy happens all the time, just the tease of the Saints footy club.

Edit: We get a second crack at the swans as well, really hoping we get up for that one and Higgins kicks 7 😉
Goals?

This Hawthorn Sydney game currently 57-33 hawks way before right before HT, is showing us what an intact forward line could’ve done to Sydney atm. Swans can still win but, considering we smashed the Hawks, would’ve loved to have a fit King, Marshall and Membrey attacking last week. Anyway, I’ll move on now - it’s footy happens all the time, just the tease of the Saints footy club
I think it’s more about defense. Hawks kept them to 51 points, we don’t keep anyone to 51 points. Swans had 10 scoring shots tonight whereas last week we coughed up 27 shots on goal and that’s why we won’t be playing finals this year.

Playing two rucks on Hickey was a very good move. With Marshall in we would have won.

Interesting we've brought in Hunter this week for Obrien.

Still don't really get the outrage over the 50m penalty when Rampe pushed King.

He pushed him in the back and he went down... seemed really obvious to me. I'd turned the commentary off by then but was surprised to find out later Lyon and Brown had a tanty over it.

Not the first dumb thing Rampe has done, but got penalised this time.
Look it was soft.

but the point being missed is that when you have your back to someone and are pushed when not expecting it, you lose your a balance and fall over.

but if your in the media let’s call him soft like he dived. 🙄

I always refer to frees like that as a stupidity tax. If you are niggling a bloke off the ball and give away a free, don't try and blame the bloke for flopping. You're the one who stupidly decided to push him in the back behind play. Pay the stupidity tax and move on.

Morons like Lyon and Brown are living in a bygone era where there's some band of brothers code where you are only allowed to go down when you've been hit flush on the chin by a big bloke behind play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back