Prediction Round 12, 2024: Changes vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to change our culture? Have to reward wafl performance - Trew has to play, Harry has to play, Maric needs to go back down and work on winning 1v1 contests, I’d give Flynn another week or two to build fitness purely because of how important he is.

Out: Sheed (permanently), Rotham (permanently), Maric
In: Trew, H Edwards, Culley

Would drop almost all our seniors and most of our coaching staff based on todays performance but youngsters can hold their head high, effort from Reid Ginbey chesser Jack Williams I though was good.
Check forecast. Will not be H Edwards. Don't need another tall.

You'd be stiff to drop Dewar after serving his time as sub. Give him a run against the Saints - they're a middling side at home, he can kick a few there.

Would much prefer to see Hall or Burgiel be blooded than to go back to Gaff/retain Sheed.

Culley can probably come in and take Maric's spot for a spell while contributing through the guts.

Has Hunt had a single game on the wing where he's looked that good?

Part of me just wants to see Edwards or Gaff take it because it feels like a waste for Hunt and Chesser, but I get that you want to keep Hunt and Chesser on the field and in the game somehow.

Got smashed in uncontested ball today so it's not the best game to judge but it just seams like no man's land.

Only saw the first half.

We have to put a line through guys like JJ and Rotham.
Both played over 50 games now been in the system for a long time. I reckon they're just not up to it. JJ just butchers it and Rotham doesn't like the contest.

Trew for Sheed, Culley for JJ.
Put hunt to HB and punt Rotham for whoever.

Trew has to come in. Reward for effort. Not just his 36 disposals this week but his consistent WAFL form prior to his concussion earlier in the season. Flynn if fit which will unfortunately see Jack Williams go out. Not happy about that but it is what I think will happen.

I thought Sheed had found a role last week as a tagger but he was diabolical today. Broken nose rounded out a dirty day for him. For mine he is now in the Gaff category and should be marked as “never to play AFL again”.

Trew has to come in. Reward for effort. Not just his 36 disposals this week but his consistent WAFL form prior to his concussion earlier in the season. Flynn if fit which will unfortunately see Jack Williams go out. Not happy about that but it is what I think will happen.

I thought Sheed had found a role last week as a tagger but he was diabolical today. Broken nose rounded out a dirty day for him. For mine he is now in the Gaff category and should be marked as “never to play AFL again”.

I did say this about Sheed before Rd 1. Game has gone past him. I'd like to see Trew get in the side too although i think guys like Hewett, Hall, Culley & Burgiel will go past him too plus the Mid we select end of season in the draft.

Didn’t watch the final 10 minutes. The AFL site says Sheed’s injured?

Out: Witherden, Sheed, Ryan
In: Petruccelle, Culley, Trew

Backs: Barrass, Gov, Rotham, Duggan, Hough, Cole, Jones
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Hunt, Chesser
Rucks: Williamses
Forwards: Waterman, Darling, Culley, Cripps, Petruccelle, Dewar, Trew
Sub: Maric
Emergencies: Gaff, Hedwards, someone

Would’ve done Hedwards for Rotham but for the weather forecast

Culley for Maric who drops down to sub

Dewar into the 22 for Ryan who looked disinterested, needs a rocket.

Petch to replace Jones in the forward line, Jones to the backline to replace Witherden.

Trew for Sheed, to play a similar role.

Petch to replace Jones in the forward line, Jones to the backline to replace Witherden.

Should we use a running player as the sub in the wet rather than a tall? Maybe Hall in as Sub instead of Maric? Especially if you are dropping Ryan. Home game against a struggling Saints in the rain, good time for him to get a game? North Melbourne the following week, most likely also in the rain if this weeks forecast is anything to judge by. And to be honest Wet Weather football in, Dry Weather out. Sub will change regardless now. Maybe playing so many talls was the plan until the wet weather. They have got to trial them, unearthed a gem full forward in Waterman.

Last edited:

Cos before Sheed broke his nose he was defo staying in the side,

Trew and Sheed are nothing alike. Trew can’t play HF or tag. Culley will take Sheeds role at HF and more defensive minded

Out: Witherden (inj.) In: Trew (Hunt or Jones to push back)
Out: Sheed (omit) In: Culley (Absolutely hate the vitriol directed towards Sheed by some on this site, embarrassing really, and was so pleased he played well last week - but sadly that does seems the exception to the rule and he needs to go back to 2nds to find form before being considered again)

Don’t think we need wholesale changes although Rotham and B.Williams are on thin ice with H.Edwards and Flynn pushing (I’m not convinced BJ is better than our existing forwards when Flynn is ready but will be happy to be proven wrong).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't Simo say Flynn will not debut before the bye ?

Harry Edwards for Josh Rotham

Trew in Sheed out

Witherden out in Clay Hall

Maric out In Culley

JJ out in Petch

I must say, I did feel bad seeing Sheed break his face at the end. He'd had a horrible day and probably knows he's past it, and that injury with a few minutes left was salt into the wounds

Anyway...

Out: Sheed, Rotham, Witherden (if injury is bad)
In: Trew, Petch, Culley

One more week before Flynn comes in

On what planet would Rotham be ahead of Witherden in any thinking ? Witho safe as houses right now. Many in the firing line before him
Witho is treacle slow rotham is at least quick .

Witho was exposed badly today in no man's land trying to defend fleet footed opponents.

Guys like hough and cole still managed OK even when it was coming in fast .

Both witho and rotham should be out but with the wet weather who knows

Send Hunt back , give dewar a full game bring in Burgeil sub cully and trew

Out witho rotham sheed
In culley , trew , Burgeil (sub)

If we drop 2 defenders and send hunt back, bringing in 2 inside mids, who plays on the wing? Chesser on one, then ??? on the other. Do people think Ginbey full time wing is the answer? I really hope not.
We looked slow today, surely we dont want to become even slower by bringing in an additional slow player?

Not sure why people want Maric dropped. All the forwards had a dirty day with limited supply & the delivery was shithouse. Even Waterman was fuming at times.

Marics kicking was off but he should stay in the team.

Witho is treacle slow rotham is at least quick .

Witho was exposed badly today in no man's land trying to defend fleet footed opponents.

Guys like hough and cole still managed OK even when it was coming in fast .

Both witho and rotham should be out but with the wet weather who knows

Witho to go the way of SPS, Ah Chee, Hill, Langdon, Nelson and countless more at seasons end. Play a string of AFL games and think you are in the mix, only to be delisted end of year. When the game is on his terms he's capable of playing well because he has a good head for football, but those games are too few and far between as he's simply too small and too slow. Despite the haters, Rotham offers significantly more inside d50 with his hight and speed and serviceable disposal.

Not sure why people want Maric dropped. All the forwards had a dirty day with limited supply & the delivery was shithouse. Even Waterman was fuming at times.

I agree. Young players will have their off days. He’s been good lately, back him in to respond at home.

Feel like we may need Flynn vs Marshall this week. Worried about going in too tall though.

Because it's expected to rain hard and going in with three primarily tall forwards in those conditions is suicide

I think it's worth having a look at barrass Gov and Hedwards in the same backline. Govs clever enough to play on smaller opponents if required. It may not be this week if it's wet. Rotham is clearly a delist, so I don't see the point persisting.
Those suggesting burgiel come in are dreaming. We need to show a bit more selection integrity than that, and he'll need to do more to earn a call up.

I just can't see maric remaining in the side if we are content on rewarding Trew and Culley for consistent good form. Will rely on if Flynn is pushing to return pre bye if he stays or not.

If Flynns comes in a week before Oscar against North, I see us dropping Maric just for the utility Jwill provides in the ruck. If both return against north the pressure is on bailey to retain his spot for the next coming weeks. I seriously believe Jilliams will eventually push him out being the better second ruck, he can kick goals and is competitive against bigger rucks. I can't see Bailey kicking goals he has massive mental hurdles to overcome in front of the sticks. Also can't take a f50 mark, has probably had 2 or 3 all season.

If Flynn debuts against saints we need to drop both Maric and Jwill, culley can play below the knees as a hybrid forward too many talls on a wet day.

End of season we need serious discussions surrounding our talls in the ruck and forward line, the club never expected waterman to transform himself and cement his spot so clearly the pressure will be all on williams to prove himself as a forward if Flynn turns out to be the goods. Likely we trade him come the end of his contract and give maric and jwill more time to develop.

Last edited:
Cos before Sheed broke his nose he was defo staying in the side,

Trew and Sheed are nothing alike. Trew can’t play HF or tag. Culley will take Sheeds role at HF and more defensive minded

I suspect they would have replaced Sheed anyway. Last week was his only good performance. Today he was off the pace again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back