Prediction Round 12, 2024: Changes vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Young players will have their off days. He’s been good lately, back him in to respond at home.

Feel like we may need Flynn vs Marshall this week. Worried about going in too tall though.
Marshall isnt a big imposing hitout dominating ruckman like Obrien, he plays like an extra mid. Hes a similar size to Bailey and is a workhorse. Bringing in a potentially underdone Flynn just to get run off his feet by Marshall in the rain doesnt sound that good

Another week, another campaigner putting the sub in their Ins.

Dewar is already in the team. They pick 5 bench players and the sub comes from that - not from the emergencies like they have in the past.
Dewar into the 22, Jones out of it to sub?

People forget that Sheed was dropped a few weeks back, before earning a late reprieve due to Maric late out. Then he had all of his midfield minutes taken away in the second half against the Pies and played as a tagger the following week.

Not sure what the **** the plan was today, fair enough I wouldn't expect many unforced changes after last week, but after today and given he's looked on unsteady ground selection wise this year, it's safe to say he's not playing next week, late collision or not.

Not sure why people want Maric dropped. All the forwards had a dirty day with limited supply & the delivery was shithouse. Even Waterman was fuming at times.

Marics kicking was off but he should stay in the team.
On the assumption Flynn comes in, we're too tall and I like what Jack Williams is showing.

That's why I feel he would be an out.

However it could also be Jack Williams or Bailey Williams, but I can't see them dropping Bailey.

OUT: Witherden, JJ, BWilliams, Sheed
IN: Burgiel, Culley, Flynn, Hall

Rotham and Maric lucky to survive.

Thanks for the memories Dom Sheed. Played a good game against Melbourne and of course that set shot late in a game...

...but we have plenty that can now replace him and importantly are younger, faster, have higher ceilings (possibly) and cheaper.

I think Sheed has to be dropped back to the WAFL. Watching the game on TV I noticed he would just stop after disposing of the ball. There was no desire to support the player who’d just received the ball. It was like the attitude of someone who’d thought it was no longer his problem. He’s used all his credits from the 2018 GF.

Really want Burgiel to get a game, he was close before his appendicitis and hes strung a couple of WAFL games together since returning.
Out of contract at the end of the year so id like to see him get at least a bit of a run in the AFL to see how he looks. Hes the only one semi-close right now with speed too.
Dont care where he plays, wing/hb/hf any is fine.
If we lose Witho to that calf surely Burgiel would be front of the line to get a game? Closer to a like for like than Culley/HEdwards

Really want Burgiel to get a game, he was close before his appendicitis and hes strung a couple of WAFL games together since returning.
Out of contract at the end of the year so id like to see him get at least a bit of a run in the AFL to see how he looks. Hes the only one semi-close right now with speed too.
If we lose Witho to that calf surely Burgiel would be front of the line to get a game? Closer to a like for like than Culley/HEdwards
We have to have a look at Burgiel before the end of the year. We have two home games vs two of the weakest three opponents in the league before a bye and Witho has popped a calf playing the same position Burgiel plays.

Get him in, tell him he’s playing both games before the bye regardless of performance, bring Hunt into the back 7 rotation so Burgiel can play a mix of HBF and wing. If we can’t see this as the perfect opportunity then we may as well delist him at the end of the year. I think he’ll give a good account of himself at AFL level.

Exactly the same applies to Hall, give Sheed a run in the 2s and tell Clay that he’s playing the next 2 games. The goal this year HAS to be development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally wouldn't be dropping JJ yet, offers flexibility to go down back and adds pressure and pace wherever he goes.

It was only the skill errors that stopped his game actually being good. Which in the scheme of how we played as a team (lazy, lack of effort and poorly skilled) is a smaller problem.

Could have had 2 goals, should have had 1.1 as a minimum. 5 tackles for 4 frees for, 5 intercept possessions and 9 disposal last quarter when he was down back. 30 sprint efforts and 7 repeat spring efforts are massive numbers and both were game highs.

I don't think he's best 22 long term with his kicking skills but for effort and application he was ok, tackled down back, generated shots up forward (except he missed).

I feel like Sheed, Witho and a taller player out would be fine. Even if the taller player out isn't for Flynn but for another mid rotation.

A lot of this depends on Petruccelle's fitness though.

We have to have a look at Burgiel before the end of the year. We have two home games vs two of the weakest three opponents in the league before a bye and Witho has popped a calf playing the same position Burgiel plays.

Get him in, tell him he’s playing both games before the bye regardless of performance, bring Hunt into the back 7 rotation so Burgiel can play a mix of HBF and wing. If we can’t see this as the perfect opportunity then we may as well delist him at the end of the year. I think he’ll give a good account of himself at AFL level.

Exactly the same applies to Hall, give Sheed a run in the 2s and tell Clay that he’s playing the next 2 games. The goal this year HAS to be development.
Burgiel would have to be the only one out of contract this year who we arent 100% on where he sits and what he is. If hes nothing may as well delist him or trade him back to Vic but if he is a player just lock him in another couple of years.

Hall would be good too but no rush with him imo, Culley could and probably should get a game before Hall in a somewhat similar role. Culley can play forward too, dont know what Hall is like outside the middle. Could give Hall a taste for a couple weeks in the easy games then put Culley back ahead of Hall after the bye.

As you said, this is the best time to do it. 2 home games against bottom 4 teams into the bye, couldnt have a better opportunity for them

I personally wouldn't be dropping JJ yet, offers flexibility to go down back and adds pressure and pace wherever he goes.

It was only the skill errors that stopped his game actually being good. Which in the scheme of how we played as a team (lazy, lack of effort and poorly skilled) is a smaller problem.

Could have had 2 goals, should have had 1.1 as a minimum. 5 tackles for 4 frees for, 5 intercept possessions and 9 disposal last quarter when he was down back. 30 sprint efforts and 7 repeat spring efforts are massive numbers and both were game highs.

I don't think he's best 22 long term with his kicking skills but for effort and application he was ok, tackled down back, generated shots up forward (except he missed).

I feel like Sheed, Witho and a taller player out would be fine. Even if the taller player out isn't for Flynn but for another mid rotation.

Yeah as much as I dont rate JJ, I think hes hanging around, we dont have another player who can do his role and we have bigger problems. Itd be some combo of Culley + Petch + Burgiel coming into the side that might force JJ out, I think its unlikely though

I think Sheed has to be dropped back to the WAFL. Watching the game on TV I noticed he would just stop after disposing of the ball. There was no desire to support the player who’d just received the ball. It was like the attitude of someone who’d thought it was no longer his problem. He’s used all his credits from the 2018 GF.
That’s been his MO since 2018 to be fair

Gaff in for Sheed is an oxymoron. **** that. They can go collect there pay packet in the 2s. Play the kids. If we are going to get beaten play the kids when they're fit.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not a huge Gaff fan but I still like the idea of having some seniority around for the younger kids and rewarding good form.

Trew would be the other but he can't really play anything else but inside mid.

Bring Burgeil in as the sub this week .

Best thing about the Beagles playing well and having a great win is we can reward players for playing well and drop players after that putrid performance in the seniors

Out sheed in trew
Out rotham in culley
Out witherden in Burgeil (sub)
Dewar to play a full game
Maric goes back to play rotham role 3rd tall
Hunt goes back for witherden

B cole Barrass Hough
HB Hunt McGovern duggan
C ginbey Yeo Chesser
HF Cripps Darling Ryan
F Jwilliams waterman Dewar
Foll BWilliams Kelly Reid
Int Maric Jones trew culley Burgeil (sub)

This is exactly the problem with JJ over a long period of time. Should have kicked the goal, should have hit the target, should have picked the better option… With his pace and dare he could have made it at AFL level but his disposal is appalling and has shown this over multiple years. Now isn’t the time to be seeing if we should give JJ another year, would much rather give Dewar a full game and bring Culley or even Rawlinson on as the sub. Players that all may be retained next year.

Bring Burgeil in as the sub this week .

Best thing about the Beagles playing well and having a great win is we can reward players for playing well and drop players after that putrid performance in the seniors

Out sheed in trew
Out rotham in culley
Maric goes back to play rotham role 3rd tall

B cole Barrass Hough
HB Hunt McGovern duggan
C ginbey Yeo Chesser
HF Cripps Darling Ryan
I would strongly protest anybody suggesting Ginbey gets left marooned on a wing while Trew who is on the delist pile gets inside mid time ahead of him. Id rather let Trew rot and be delisted in the WAFL than have Ginbey stuck on a wing, and its not even close.

Gotta leave Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Ginbey as the main 4, maybe add a 5th CBA mid, one of Trew/Culley but thats it. Ideally not Trew as he has no other position to go to when not on ball.

Other moves sound ok, doubt they move Maric back but id like to see them try it.

Burgiel for a full game surely too over one of Trew/Culley. He can play that wing so Ginbey doesnt have to be there all game

Bring him in as the sub this week .

Out sheed in trew
Out rotham in culley
Maric goes back to play rotham role

B cole Barrass Hough
HB Hunt McGovern duggan
C ginbey Yeo Chesser
HF Cripps Darling Ryan

Will be a very wet week in Perth and wet weather game.

Can’t see us making 6 changes, and Witho isn’t a definite out. He had a bit of tightness apparently.

Out: Sheed (putrid), JWilliams (stiff) Maric (weather)
In: Culley, Dewar, Flynn
Sub: Hall

Play JJ and Ryan as forwards. Culley as a mid/forward.

It’s a shame Brockman isn’t available for selection, he’d be a definite in if he was available.

If Witho misses I think Gaff comes back in. Hunt goes back to defence and Gaff plays wing. I’d prefer Hall comes in and Ginbey plays more wing but I think it’s an interesting test for match committee

Last edited:
I would strongly protest anybody suggesting Ginbey gets left marooned on a wing while Trew who is on the delist pile gets inside mid time ahead of him. Id rather let Trew rot and be delisted in the WAFL than have Ginbey stuck on a wing, and its not even close.

Gotta leave Yeo/Kelly/Reid/Ginbey as the main 4, maybe add a 5th CBA mid, one of Trew/Culley but thats it. Ideally not Trew as he has no other position to go to when not on ball.

Other moves sound ok, doubt they move Maric back but id like to see them try it.

Burgiel for a full game surely too over one of Trew/Culley. He can play that wing so Ginbey doesnt have to be there all game
Even if Trew gets a game can't see him taking Ginbey's midfield minutes away, he's more likely to be stuck on a wing than Ginbey coming in as the new player.
Trew or Culley would be taking over Sheed's spot.

Even if Trew gets a game can't see him taking Ginbey's midfield minutes away, he's more likely to be stuck on a wing than Ginbey coming in as the new player.
Trew or Culley would be taking over Sheed's spot.
If we are taking Hunt off a wing to cover Witho then we need a new winger into the squad is more what I was referring to, looking at the best 22 there. No point taking a quick winger out to add in a couple of slow inside mids.
Yeah one of Culley/Trew for Sheed to be that HF/mid rotation is probably the go

If we are taking Hunt off a wing to cover Witho then we need a new winger into the squad is more what I was referring to, looking at the best 22 there. No point taking a quick winger out to add in a couple of slow inside mids.
Yeah one of Culley/Trew for Sheed to be that HF/mid rotation is probably the go
Burgiel or Johnston would be the the answer for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back