Autopsy Round 12 vs GWS - what did you learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Melb - Win
Dogs - Loss
Cats - Loss
Hawks - Loss

We're on shaky ground now, save for a miracle cure for Tippett and Rohan

Why we losing to the dogs? They have more out than us and almost lost to port

Mitchell's kicking forward was again pretty ordinary. At least he touched the ball, though.

Hits targets most of the time considering his kicks are under pressure in tight though,

Totemic symbolism that they're still alive?

Sadly in his case it's just as likely they knew no more damage was possible so he might as well watch the boys.

I guess, just seems cruel.

go get a scan then

Who was playing on Green and Johnson? I saw Jones, Smith, Marsh & Laidler at various times.

They got cut up.

Rampe and Grundy can hold their heads high. But having Rampe on Cameron means he wasn't free to mind one of the forwards doing damage.

Rose almost had a very good game. Presented well, made smart leads, which is more that you can say for most of our forwards.

Disappointing performance, we were rather simply outworked and outenthused by a more into-it side. I'm not wiping out our form to this point in the year based on that. We've stacked up more positive performances than negatives by quite a margin but it's going to be hard now with Tippett possibly gone for a very long time. And Rohan out, again. I

All in all last night we were made to look second rate in the normal fashion. The other team puts a crazy amount of pressure on us when we have the ball so our poor skills are exacerbated and when we don't have the ball the opposition has a mortgage on it and breaks apart our defence into 1 on 1 match ups. Our defence has been very good this year with Rampe and Grundy particularly leading from the front (and they were both good again last night) but GWS' speed and intensity are frightfully sharp when they want to use them.

On a player perspective, as I said Grundy and Rampe did their job again and what a season each of them are having. Thought Sinclair was doing well before Tippett went off but he continued on as the sole ruck after that and continues to string positive performances together. He'll need to step up again now that he's the guy but I've like his last month and I'll back him to take it in stride and continue playing well. A date with Max Gawn will be a fantastic test for him before the bye.

Kennedy was awful in the first half but his second half was typical of how great he is. Almost dragged our entire non-performing side back into it. Hannebery was half-decent by his lofty standards. Could be the week Mills gets his RS nomination because he was as good as usual but seemingly picked up enough possessions to be of interest to the judges. I like James Rose's game a lot too and had he kicked straight he'd have been possibly our best player. Tackled hard, got into dangerous spots and looked good. Harry Marsh in defence also continues to fit in.

Parker missing in a big game yet again, it's getting really really tiresome. One day the media will pick up on it rather than just anoint him as our best midfielder the next time he decimates an average side (I can see him having 35 touches, 10 tackles, 10 marks and 3 goals against the Dees this week to the raucous cheers of Robbo and those who harp on about how "haaaaaaaard" and tough he is).

Isaac Heeney is quietly in a bit of a dry spell. Other than last week with his tackling, he isn't doing much with the ball and is getting some very concerted attention from opposition players. He's been used a little in the middle and we need more from him.

Jarrad McVeigh is just not having a good year. He's had a couple of decent or good games but he looks like he's really struggling to keep up to pace. He's never been quick but in the past his guile with his footwork has won him time and space to hit targets. That seems to have vanished and he's getting outpaced a lot by younger opposition players. And just not making decisions as well as we are accustomed to seeing. I'm not advocating for him to be dropped but we desperately need more from him.

Hard to suggest Bud played a good game by his standards but that goes to show how high his standards are. 18 touches, 7 marks and 2.2 and we're indifferent. Great battle between him and Davis.

Zak Jones is making strides every week with his defensive game but he needs to make better decisions with the ball. He's picking and choosing his time to come off his man really well and spoiling pretty well and he tackles fiercely but his penchant for breaking a line and just bombing it long blindly is getting frustrating as hell. He has time, slow down and lower your eyes, fella.

And Harry Cunningham, I mean I repeat myself too much on him but f*** me he has no confidence in himself with the ball. He'll tackle like a demon and defend and block and do all the things the coach wants him to without the ball but I wouldn't be against him going back to the reserves having been told to dominate games and be selfish for a few weeks. Go back and have 3 30 possession games and do whatever the hell you want because he seems shackled. Either by the coaches or his own mind. And it's a shame that someone who is that quick and skilled isn't using his attributes to proper capabilities.

Why we losing to the dogs? They have more out than us and almost lost to port
It's in 3 weeks time remember, and we'll be coming off a bye, not our biggest strength.

That Doggies win against Port away was full of character. Also the magnitude of Tippett's significance for us. No ready made replacement, with due respect to Sinclair, Naismith and Nankervis.

It's in 3 weeks time remember, and we'll be coming off a bye, not our biggest strength.

That Doggies win against Port away was full of character. Also the magnitude of Tippett's significance for us. No ready made replacement, with due respect to Sinclair, Naismith and Nankervis.

See how we go vs melbourne first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of our kicking: we need to stop kicking it on the heads of stationary players. Put it in front and let them run onto it, and take the mark with their hands out in front. We got spoiled so regularly last night because we had ****en Benny McGlynn or whoever standing under the high ball.

Yep spot on

And defenders stop just bombing out blindly every time

Ok sometimes you have too but it is first port of call too often for our defence and leads to repeat entries

The Giants were so much more precise

We try it a little then almost get bored and kick to a contest

We are a hard working team that shut down other sides but if we tidy up the kicks just a bit we could be so much better

Imagine buddy with more consistent delivery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back