Autopsy Round 12 vs GWS - what did you learn?

Remove this Banner Ad

- Seriously we need to do some work on our kicks ins. Nearly every-time long to the boundary...very predictable to everyone except our players apparently, as the ball just about always goes to an outnumbered or even contest (and to the advantage of the opposition). Either the kick iner needs to be more daring and try and hit up one of the lose players or the players up the ground need to understand their teammates limited foot-skills and get to the spot everyone knows it's going to. The only other thing we occasionally to from the kick in, is chip 15m sideways, either get called play on or just delay the inevitable bomb to the boundary by one kick. A lot of the other top sides execute kick ins 10x better.

- Tippett injury is worse than the loss, largely because he is the only player we have who can really play that role to that level, but he's always one of our handful of reliable players who turns up week in, week out and has a go. It was always the worry about him spending so much time in the ruck, given his history with knees. Hope for the best, but gee, given our poor centre clearance work he is a massive loss, he and Kennedy are the only reasons we get any at all sometimes.

-Kennedy and Franklin: no surprises they found a way to get going a bit and still has an some form of impact when having dirty days. Quite few of our other guys need to learn to turn a bad game around as those guys do, too many can't get themselves going on bad day to have any form of impact on a game.
To be a genuine top 4 chance, some guys just need to find a way to do this during the 2nd half of the season.
It's starting to become a recurring theme in every loss, the exact same handful of players carrying us and the exact same ones going missing (and not only going missing, barely giving a yelp). Just can't be carrying this many passengers when the going gets tough, and many of these guys can clearly play at a very high level on their days because we keep making top 4, but when they all go missing, they all do it collectively and expect the same names: Kennedy, Hannebery, Franklin etc. to do all the work to drag them home.

Buddy screams for the ball at all costs, even for no reason. Countless times we take a mark in the middle and hes screaming for a 2m lateral hsnd ball. I love ya bud,but jeez get forward and be the target

What about all the times senior players scream for the ball when it is clear the kick is not on? What are the junior players to do, ignore the senior player?

"The loss of Tippett and Rohan was compounded when athletic forward Sam Reid re-injured his calf in the NEAFL." -afl.com.au

Pretty much sums up this round.

* this s**t

The thing about our injuries is that they've pretty much consistently hurt the same players over and over again. I'm talking Kurt Tippett, Gary Rohan, Sam Reid, Ben McGlynn... so it's frequently robbed us of a ruck option who can play as a key forward, of a speedy defensive forward, of a marking target around the ground, and of a crumbing small forward. When the same players in the same roles are struggling to get a decent stretch of a season, it can be hard to build a structure around them.

Personally if injuries were going to strike, I'd rather them take out key players here and there so that we can eventually just bide time and wait for their return instead of this **** where the same players in the same key roles keep getting injured. It's stopped us from pretty much ever being able to field a structurally sound best 22 that the Hawks have been blessed with the last four years on grand final day.

I've had way too many reds to form a lengthy coherant rant about how crap Tippo out is but it's not the end of the world... So...

It's not the end of the world, it sucks but as Swansrule100 said in his run home thread we are still very much in the mix for a top 4 spot:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-run-home.1135371/

The Tippett injury will make our job harder no doubt but injuries are part of footy. One of the hardest things as a fan is to keep expectations in check, I must admit I got a little excited thinking about our chances this year before tonight. Tonight was crap but what's done is done, we move on to the Demons next week.

This. Cheers RW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just asked my physio friend. Here's her reply....

You're probably looking at 1-2 months out of its a grade 2 (partial tear) or more like 3 months (rehab after) if it's a complete rupture and requires surgery.

We just need to find a doctor who can give us a shorter time frame

1. In the cause of equalization, how is it fair that various Melbourne based teams play home, and some away games undercover at Etihad - meanwhile we slog it out in a cyclone at the Gabba. We were very flat in this game.

2. The Giants have gone past us.

3. You can't pin this one on Towers.

Parker, once again gone missing in a big game, the numbers are stacking up...front runner.
Harry was pathetic as was McGlynn.
Marsh Grundy JPK were very good.

Cant argue there

Defended Parker a month or so ago, think it was v tigers or crows even. But since then he has let me down

Will get his stats, but yeah.

Someone on one of the many of the use Mitchell as a trade ideas asked me, ohh who is he better than, well Luke Parker right now.

Cant argue there

Defended Parker a month or so ago, think it was v tigers or crows even. But since then he has let me down

Will get his stats, but yeah.

Someone on one of the many of the use Mitchell as a trade ideas asked me, ohh who is he better than, well Luke Parker right now.
Absolutely, he can be outstanding as well know but time and time again when it matters he lets us all down.

Its going to be interesting to see how we bounce back from this, Tippett out is huge so I reckon you might see our mids trying to shark the contest from now on as Sinclair and Nanka will be schooled.

If we can maintain top 4 while tippett is out we are still a chance.

Parker, once again gone missing in a big game, the numbers are stacking up...front runner.
Harry was pathetic as was McGlynn.
Marsh Grundy JPK were very good.

Parker has 5 years to find form.
Harry has been disappointing since he signed a new contract.
Marsh, no fuss and gets the job done.:thumbsu:
What about McVeigh? He was the worst of the lot!
Laidler also had a shocker.
Hanners was poor.
Heeney ditto.

Why do we persist with the long bombing to the boundary out of Defence
Laidler had Lloyd screaming for it but he decides to bomb away to an out numbered contest witn the best contested mark in the comp in lobb , lobb marks kicks to sj and he kicks the goal and the momentum goes to them at half time
Brain fade by laidler , could have to chipped it to lolyd etc
Don't understand why we don't look for the shorter options at times

Last night I reckon it was a symptom of losing the battle for the corridor. Even when our players were free they had no confidence their teammates would escape the closing speed of the GWS mids.

We were dismantled. They stole the outside areas around the contest meaning we had to kick high to get past them. Once that battle was lost and clearances started drying up we basically ended up mired in our own defensive 50, and long kicks to the wings was our only way forward because we had next to nothing inboard from that point on.

With Tippett down we ended up with Macca and McGlynn as our marking targets player every other kick-in. Once that became a thing we were cooked.

Parker has 5 years to find form.
Harry has been disappointing since he signed a new contract.
Marsh, no fuss and gets the job done.:thumbsu:
What about McVeigh? He was the worst of the lot!
Laidler also had a shocker.
Hanners was poor.
Heeney ditto.
Yep cannot argue re Mcveigh, He was disgraceful at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back