Autopsy Round 15, 2017: Sydney def Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we talking about Tippett? If we'd kicked straighter we'd have beaten four top eight sides in a row (two at the MCG) while kicking a score of over 100. Why change that if it's working?

If there's any star in our reserves team who should come back it's Aliir!

Then he should consistently play like a star in the reserves to prove that point - we have depth, we're not a charity.

No doubt he has the potential and skills to but you have to earn your way back in (unless you're McVeigh or Jack... and sometimes Tippett) to this team and that's just the way I like it.

Why are we talking about Tippett? If we'd kicked straighter we'd have beaten four top eight sides in a row (two at the MCG) while kicking a score of over 100. Why change that if it's working?

If there's any star in our reserves team who should come back it's Aliir!

Tippo or Sinclair will come back into the team.
That being the case Tippo over Sinclair.
Give Tippo 8 solid weeks and he will be a massive asset if we make finals.

Tippo or Sinclair will come back into the team.
That being the case Tippo over Sinclair.
Give Tippo 8 solid weeks and he will be a massive asset if we make finals.

I'd rather recall Sinclair than play Tippett again!

What is Naismith's tattoo of?

4df964aeb5a061da1ee529372227b2ad.jpg
Probably a mistake. Like most tatts.

We did what we should have done. Melbourne on the back end of a lot of games in not many days, without a bunch of their best attacking players and Viney off at halftime - I think we're just a better team anyway but Melbourne were an easy target last night.

I'm not gonna take too much out of many players' performances. Almost everyone played well in a game without heaps of pressure from the opposition - the kind of game Dean Towers thrives in, and he did, played a genuinely good game. I get the feeling he's been asked to play more defensively on opponents the last few weeks too.

Jack and McVeigh showing good form was pleasing. McVeigh in his classy play and Jack in his mobility and agility. He ran from end to end to kick his goal in the last quarter and generally found ways to find space for himself. If he can produce bits of play like that in games of higher pressure, he'll be very valuable across HF.

Parker was fantastic, although I'm wary of him as always. He can dominate a game like that but I want to see him play a cracker against GWS in a few weeks before I agree with any sentiment of him being "back".

Rampe, on the other hand, played the kind of game that he made very regular last year at his best. Sliding off opponents all night, opposition looking like they pick him out when moving forward. He's taken a while to be back to that level this year although he's still played good games on good forwards, but last night he looked back near his best.

Good game from Naismith in taking it up to Gawn. Consistency is what we need from him so I want to see him do it against Witts next week and Mumford the week after.

JPK, Franklin stood out as usual. Rohan and Reid both won the ball excellently but their kicking, oof. I don't understand how Reid's kicking continues to be so flimsy. His action just looks limp.

Newman continues his rise to being a real influence. I'd already have him as one of our best handful of tacklers, he sticks them consistently, along with his fantastic ball use. Melican, Hewett, Jones, Heeney all solid games.

Not sure why people are spending time talking about Tippett. He's injured and not even in the best 22 ATM. Case closed as far as I can tell.

Now, onto the game. Bugg was very brave to fight back against Mills' aggressive jaw attack. I still can't see the scumbag getting less than 6 weeks. It's worse than the Houli, because that was at least in play.

Rohan, well done son, you used your speed and got your hands on the ball.

Reid keeps reminding us why we gave him a five year contract, five years ago. Sign him back up.

We gotta get Jones to sign on. Offer him big $$$, he's worth it.

Our list is healthy, AJ is back today, and Buddy's a machine. What's not to like about things today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously tho past 2 games we have kicked a combined tally of almost 40 behinds this is concerning
I'm not really concerned. It happens to all sides at some stage, then you come out of it and start nailing them. We have plenty of talent up forward, they'll hit the mark soon I reckon.

Watch out GC, you gunna get Milned.

Yes. I think a send off rule changes the game. Not in favour of it at all - especially as it leads to more staging and matches can be horribly affected by umpiring errors.

AR isn't like Soccer where you can go a man down and simply adjust your shape without consequences.

But the "unfairness" of a reported player playing on while an injured player goes off is easily negated by an injury sub.

Here's an idea - players are rated in 3 bands. e.g. Buddy - Band 1, towers - band 3, Hayward - band 2 - decided by the opposition.
If one player takes out an opponent, then the opposition coach has the option to choose an equal band player to sit out for as long as the injured player is out.

For example, Mills is band 1. So Horse selects a Melb band 1 - say Viney - to sit out the game.

This way, the punishment is on the perpetrators - and will be a genuine deterrent for such dog acts.

Hey Banyo. Lighten up & enjoy the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Basil Brush I LOVED the win and my other posts should suggest that. Just being subjective on a couple of things I thought on the night as in Lloyd looked off after such a great year so far and Florent wasn't what I would call great last night and as a young first year player totally understandable. Not calling for their heads just my observations happy for people to argue that point. Hope you loved the win too.

Think Aliir skipping training is really going to hurt him for the rest of the year. AJ is back today, Talia hasn't done much wrong and Maibaum looks like he has a future and Reg and Melican are rock solid. Seriously stacked for depth now.... haven't things changed from a few years ago
100% agree.
Our defence depth is solid. Forwards not so much.

Would like to see AA trialled forward/ruck/wing in a similar role to Blicavs. He has too much talent and match winning potential to stay in the NEAFL.

Think Aliir skipping training is really going to hurt him for the rest of the year. AJ is back today, Talia hasn't done much wrong and Maibaum looks like he has a future and Reg and Melican are rock solid. Seriously stacked for depth now.... haven't things changed from a few years ago
From a few years ago?? Try seven weeks ago, when every man and his dog round here said we had terrible depth, blahblah :)

Seriously though we were chopping the ball around and holding possession like we were the bloody Hawks last night. Our lack of kicking skills shouldn't let us do that. Demons pressure was just woeful

No.
teams can only play as well as we allow them to.
They tried to spread and run - we chopped them off.
Their kicks were woeful because each one was under pressure.
Gawn is good - unless you pressure and hammer him. Like last night.
Viney's a beast until 3 other beasts in red and white continually smash him at the contest.

When we bring 75% of our best, we are a top 4 team.
When we bring close to 100% - unstoppable.

The only stat we can't win is a favourable free kick count.
the decision against Rohan last night, the reversal, papley's "mark" - pathetic.

Here's an idea - players are rated in 3 bands. e.g. Buddy - Band 1, towers - band 3, Hayward - band 2 - decided by the opposition.
If one player takes out an opponent, then the opposition coach has the option to choose an equal band player to sit out for as long as the injured player is out.

For example, Mills is band 1. So Horse selects a Melb band 1 - say Viney - to sit out the game.

This way, the punishment is on the perpetrators - and will be a genuine deterrent for such dog acts.

But isn't this sort of indecipherable complexity exactly the way sub prime loans destroyed Western civilisation? :p

It was a dog act. Tribunal simply needs to go hard. 8 weeks reduced to 6. Mills could have been killed. No joke.

To protect the game itsekf all the AFL needs to do is sack all the actuaries meddling with interchanges and allow injured players to be replaced by emergencies via a doctor's report corroborated by match officials

All the worries go away.

Oh and by not making a hard game even harder to officiate, Greece doesn't end up imploding as collateral damage.

Hey Basil Brush I LOVED the win and my other posts should suggest that. Just being subjective on a couple of things I thought on the night as in Lloyd looked off after such a great year so far and Florent wasn't what I would call great last night and as a young first year player totally understandable. Not calling for their heads just my observations happy for people to argue that point. Hope you loved the win too.

All good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some should argue that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. Dees had 6 of their best out, 6 day breaks, trip to Perth etc. Probably fair.

But, if we kick straight, we win by 60 - a smashing.

Who would want to face an aggressive, swarming Swans team with a healthy list and a rampant Buddy?

Top 4 a real possibility. Look out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back