Unofficial Preview Round 15 2020 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that this teams going to be slaughtered anyway. I mean Dees are far more developed than us and with our midfield back to it's predictable best, sarky, we should get absolutely murdered in there and they will triple us for clearances. They will score from those clearances. We were murdered in the middle last week. Came good for a while in the last half but still do not get clearances to advantage very often.

Maybe Horse should have let Rowie in there more often because he seems to be able to get clearances to advantage working with Ollie, Paps & Co. Everything Joey does is predictable. He has been doing the same thing for so long that opposition just sit on him and negate him. Every time he gets the ball he is surrounded and they smother, blanket and tackle him so he is ineffective. If he can get away he is dangerous but in close he is blanketed.

Gawn is going to towel up our rucks anyway and Aliir is hopeless against the likes of Gawn, NicNat and Grundy. Reid is not much better. Sinclair is a middling ruck at best. McLean and Amartey may not win the rucks but they will be more than a match with agility and in the marking contest. I think it would be good for both of them to have the opportunity to learn life's lessons against the best.

We are not going to make finals. We are not even going to make top 12. We would be better off having a look at some more debutants. Sam Reid is almost shot and congratulations on making 150 it has taken a millennium. Joey is the most blanketed mid in the AFL because of his reputation as a dangerous player. But both must be close to calling it quits. Buddy can't even get on the park. We have to move on. These players are never going to play in another finals series let alone premiership. So make the hard decisions. All have been great players for us. But as Chaucer said time and tide waits for no man.

I think Buddy was wasted at the Swans. We tried to turn him into a pack marking beast. But this was never a strength of his. His strengths were leading up, roaming far and wide and the long goal. Sure we saw many long goals. But I believe if he had been allowed to play his natural game he may have kicked even more goals because he would not have been allowed to be double and triple teamed roaming from the wing to forward pocket. Let's face it the guy had a huge tank so not many players are going to be able to go with him. Certainly not key backs. So they would have had to put more a flanker or mid on him and then his height would have killed them. I am sad we did not get to see more of him due to injury due to the way we used him

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Per paragraph...

Are we going to get slaughtered? Granted Melbourne's strength is clearly their midfield, with Gawn, Oliver and Petracca near unstoppable when they get going. But around the ground they are very, very average. Steven May has single-handedly kept them in certain games this year. Their team defence is, IMO, very poor. And their forwards are very inconsistent. Plus, we beat them last year quite comfortably and have a very good record over them. I don't blame Horse for going into this with the mentality that we can absolutely win this game.

I love Rowbottom but where did this myth come from that JPK's return has somehow held him back? He was in our top 3 CBAs in both games since Kennedy came back. He was quieter last week, but was better than JPK against Fremantle, so I'm not sure where the idea originated that Horse has knocked Rowbottom down the totem pole. If anyone might've been effected by JPK's return, it was Florent, who had only 4 and 5 CBAs since JPK's return, playing more of an outside role. But there's also the real possibility his own form, which has been inconsistent even without Kennedy in the side, might've made Horse's decision for him, and it could have nothing to do with JPK.

Aliir is not hopeless against Gawn. His efforts against Gawn helped us win the game against them last year, because Gawn was clearly superior in the air, but Aliir got well on top at ground level and moving around the ground. So Aliir > Amartey easily, and I think debuting a player for the sake of 'trying someone else' rarely works (see: McInerney last year over O'Riordan who had the form.)

Your point about debutants is a bit nonsensical as we have already debuted six this year, their inclusions didn't make the difference on every occasion, and we already have a young side. You seem content to just wave the white flag and accept we will get flogged, but that achieves nothing except bruising the confidence of the players we already have in the side.

Not even going to indulge your point about Buddy as it's for another thread.

In short: Disagree entirely. Sorry wolfie

Um 2014 GF playing 2 unfit players. 2016 GF playing 4 unfit players. Um yep they get it right lol

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Every team plays injured players at times during a season and it’s often stated that a player would not have played if the game wasn’t a Grand Final.

Donza was questioning if the fitness staff know how fit players actually are. Perhaps they do, perhaps they told the coaches exactly how fit the players you noted were and it was the coaches who decided to take the gamble and play them. They wouldn’t have been the first to take the gamble and they definitely wouldn’t be the last.

The Reid comparisons are rubbish IMO as compare the teams they were in early on. Reid's first three years we finished 5th, 7th and premiers. McCartin's first three years we finished 6th, 15th and are likely to finish no higher than 15th again.

In Reid's debut game we had 55 inside 50s. McCartin has only ever played in 2 games his whole career so far where we've had that many inside 50s. So let's be real Reid had it significantly easier which skews the numbers a lot.
Whilst true Reid probably had to play on a better defender in 2012 given we weren’t blessed with key forward talent. I don’t find the comparison completely rubbish as there were plenty pretty excited about Reid then as they are McCartin now and I’d hate to see history repeat itself if McCartin doesn’t reach the expectations that are being placed on him (like suggestions he could be a superstar...).

Nah. I rarely disagree whiz u BUT

20 year old and already asked to play CHF and CHB! in a losing side and play well.

HE IS A GUN!
Not flashy he he has the basics right.
Solid hands, great kick.
prepared to use the body.
GUTZ!!@!

Superstar material! :thumbsu:
I think he will be a very good footballer mate, I do. Sometimes we just get a bit over excited.

I am not as sure of his superstar potential as a forward, but I can see him being a very reliable footballer and I personally won’t put any expectation on him that he will be anything beyond that (not saying he won’t just not setting myself up for disappointment).

Whilst true Reid probably had to play on a better defender in 2012 given we weren’t blessed with key forward talent. I don’t find the comparison completely rubbish as there were plenty pretty excited about Reid then as they are McCartin now and I’d hate to see history repeat itself if McCartin doesn’t reach the expectations that are being placed on him (like suggestions he could be a superstar...).

I don't think McCartin will be a superstar. He's yet to kick a bag in his career and I don't see him ever being the main man in the forward line. I too think he will be a very good player for us but will not be the head honcho inside 50 that we need. He may yet be a key defender. Who knows.

My point is that you said they are tracking similarly which I think is unfair to McCartin given the very different circumstances in which they started their respective careers.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Reid playing on better defenders now than he would've been back then? Isn't he the one taking the opposition's best defender every week and allowing McCartin et al to look good?

That's what I've been told :drunk:

He got elected to governance committe to distribute charity funds for the afl

got longmire to sign

got sponsor to replace Citibank

i mean he is ceo, what are his KPIs?
Crowd attendance? So sack him.

But seriously, sack him for hiring Stevie Jay as part of the brains trust alone.

Nah. I rarely disagree whiz u BUT

20 year old and already asked to play CHF and CHB! in a losing side and play well.

HE IS A GUN!
Not flashy he he has the basics right.
Solid hands, great kick.
prepared to use the body.
GUTZ!!@!

Superstar material! :thumbsu:
Def the prospect of a CHB superstar.
I think if he was going to be a CHF gun he'd of showed us that by now.
He's not like most KP kids coming into the league skinny but tall. He was the finished bod the day he walked in.
Seems better suited to CHB to me.

Per paragraph...

Are we going to get slaughtered? Granted Melbourne's strength is clearly their midfield, with Gawn, Oliver and Petracca near unstoppable when they get going. But around the ground they are very, very average. Steven May has single-handedly kept them in certain games this year. Their team defence is, IMO, very poor. And their forwards are very inconsistent. Plus, we beat them last year quite comfortably and have a very good record over them. I don't blame Horse for going into this with the mentality that we can absolutely win this game.

I love Rowbottom but where did this myth come from that JPK's return has somehow held him back? He was in our top 3 CBAs in both games since Kennedy came back. He was quieter last week, but was better than JPK against Fremantle, so I'm not sure where the idea originated that Horse has knocked Rowbottom down the totem pole. If anyone might've been effected by JPK's return, it was Florent, who had only 4 and 5 CBAs since JPK's return, playing more of an outside role. But there's also the real possibility his own form, which has been inconsistent even without Kennedy in the side, might've made Horse's decision for him, and it could have nothing to do with JPK.

Aliir is not hopeless against Gawn. His efforts against Gawn helped us win the game against them last year, because Gawn was clearly superior in the air, but Aliir got well on top at ground level and moving around the ground. So Aliir > Amartey easily, and I think debuting a player for the sake of 'trying someone else' rarely works (see: McInerney last year over O'Riordan who had the form.)

Your point about debutants is a bit nonsensical as we have already debuted six this year, their inclusions didn't make the difference on every occasion, and we already have a young side. You seem content to just wave the white flag and accept we will get flogged, but that achieves nothing except bruising the confidence of the players we already have in the side.

Not even going to indulge your point about Buddy as it's for another thread.

In short: Disagree entirely. Sorry wolfie
The media are hyping the dees again based off 3 or 4 wins. It is locked in their dna as a club and as players to crap the bed and put in a shocker having spent the week drinking their own bathwater.
I only hope we can be pipped at the post. Absolutely no point in gifting the hawks the better draft pick.
Would have been fine if we'd rested one of the players who'd put in a full shift for Stephens this week. Puzzling we didn't. Rowbottom or Florent could have used the rest and been ready for the next one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back