Review Round 15 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

So not bothering to watch the replay, why did our prime midfielder and captain on get 12 disposals? Injured, or did he struggle to pick up the pace from the SANFL?

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 19 Bounces

Drew 17 (9w, 8i)
Houston 15 (9w, 6i)
Wines 15 (4w)
Boak 13
Duursma 12 wing
R.Gray 10
S.Gray 8 (6i, 2w)
Ebert 4 (2i, 2w)
Hartlett 1

Rucks:
Lycett 14
Ladhams 5

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Boak 3
Lycett 1
R.Gray 1
S.Gray 1
Hartlett 1
Bonner 1

1st Half - 9

Drew 8 wing
Houston 7 (1w)
Duursma 7 wing
Wines 6 (1w)
Boak 6
R.Gray 5
S.Gray 4 (3i, 1w)
Ebert 2

Lycett 7
Ladhams 2

2nd Half - 10

Drew 9 (1w)
Wines 9 (6i, 3w)
Houston 8 wing
Boak 7
Duursma 5 wing
R.Gray 5
S.Gray 4 (3i, 1w)
Ebert 2 wing
Hartlett 1

Lycett 7
Ladhams 3

Notes:
- Equal most starts (with Rd 5, 2017) for Sam Gray in an analysed game since he had started at 17 (of 26) bounces against Gold Coast in Rd 23, 2016
- Hartlett's first inside start in an analysed game since Rd 16, 2016
- Duursma's lowest percentage of bounces attended in the 9 analysed games this season
- Equal 2nd lowest starts (with Rd 6) for Boak in an analysed game this season

- Hartlett's first inside start in an analysed game since Rd 16, 2016
Thanks for that, I noticed against Glenelg several weeks ago in the last quarter they had Hartlett going through there. So maybe next season he might add that to his bow a little bit more.

Also another note, They really pushed Drew in the midfield heaps to little return it seems. If he's not doing well during the game, he's versatile enough to play off half back or go forward and snap a goal out of a pack. That way it gives him a chance to contribute in other ways if the former isn't working.

I'm still pondering whether the Rockliff omission was even a sensible idea at the time.

He's a 29 yo who's played 180 games and only missed a month of footy. Does that really require a spell in the ressies before returning to the seniors? Surely there's a zone where you slot straight back in.

I was onboard with it during the week, especially after the Wines gambit worked against Geelong, but seeing Lycett and Ladhams on the same field as Bontempelli ran riot during the monsoon, I couldn’t help but think we misplayed our hand.

It’s not like we didn’t know the weather would be atrocious days in advance.

Every single time we lose, someone always blames structure.

Yet, the Bulldogs managed to score against our defence which had flooded back inside defensive 50, taking contested marks...whereas our forwards couldn't score against theirs. And why?

Because our defenders consistently and constantly held the ball up instead of just getting the ball forward quickly. Which requires the forwards and midfielders to play in front - which they weren't. Rain has nothing to do with structures. It's school footy time - get it on the boot fast and play a lot of chaos ball so the defence doesn't have an opportunity to set up.

Our players aren't confused. They are just slow to make decisions because they are still at a stage where they have to think about what they have to do, rather than knowing what the other team is going to do and anticipating it. The Dogs scored because when they got the ball in defence they moved it fast out of defensive 50 before our press had a chance to set up. That's their MO.
They are slow to react because the game plan is s**t.

There is no consistency and predictability about where our forwards will be and if anyone will be there.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The brain-ticking-over sluggishness is a symptom of regularly chopping and changing how we set up, how we move the ball, who the marking targets might be, where they might be, etc etc etc.

This is why plug and playing developing players is important when a key player is out with injury. The system has to stay the same so that the whole squad at both levels of football can become well drilled at what we're trying to do.

You're 100% correct that we've got adequate depth to be a real competitor. Our problem is that we don't use that depth correctly. We still have the same haphazard selection policy that makes it impossible for the side to get into a groove. The result is being the most frustratingly inconsistent side in the competition.
El_Scorcho said it better :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could tell by the end of the first quarter that Port was going to lose. I've lost count of the number of times that games at AO have looked over at quarter time. You might as well blow the final siren at qtr time, and spare the Port fans three more quarters of suffering.

changes for next week...
out wines and jonas as skipper - In Hartlett as sole skipper and Boak VC
Out Hinkely - In Schofield

as far as wielding the axe meh who cares at this point. play the youngens

I was at the game Saturday, drenched and seething. I couldn’t help myself but stroll a couple of bays over and wait for the players to walk down the race before giving them a quick word about what I thought of that performance. I used no expletives.

The thing that stood out for me was the glare I got from several players as though what some dickhead supporter is yelling over the fence is actually having a serious effect on them. This moment said a lot for me.

There’s very little mental fortitude in this playing group.

I was at the game Saturday, drenched and seething. I couldn’t help myself but stroll a couple of bays over and wait for the players to walk down the race before giving them a quick word about what I thought of that performance. I used no expletives.

The thing that stood out for me was the glare I got from several players as though what some dickhead supporter is yelling over the fence is actually having a serious effect on them. This moment said a lot for me.

You get the impression too there's very few repercussions for poor performance, from players to coaches to management. Winning really has taken a back seat to community pride (which I am prepared to admit we are very good at, except for that section of the community for whom playing to our best every week is a source of pride).

If you were at the game, you'd know why the last quarter was goalless. The rain and wind picked up in the last something fierce.

While we played like s**t, it's not very often when you can point to an exact moment where everyone knew we would lose the game. And it was that s**t turnover at half back when we were all over the opposition and they were up by only 3 points. The crowd was getting into it, the players were lifting...and then right on cue...a dagger to the heart.

Why you would go for that sort of kick in those sort of conditions is beyond me. Unbelievably stupid.
In any condition. Soccer 101: "Never cross the ball in front of the box; ever." It works for footy too.

Still, as bad as it felt, it was only after their next goal that made sure to me it was over.

In any condition. Soccer 101: "Never cross the ball in front of the box; ever." It works for footy too.

Still, as bad as it felt, it was only after their next goal that made sure to me it was over.
It's a valid and oft-used tactic in AFL to switch the play before the opposition can react. But to my mind it's always been low percentage, especially when we do it. There's always someone who shanks a kick or drops a mark. And in those conditions it was just nuts. Opposition was just dominating the corridor, we needed to take them on there. You know, with tackles and stuff.

You could tell by the end of the first quarter that Port was going to lose. I've lost count of the number of times that games at AO have looked over at quarter time. You might as well blow the final siren at qtr time, and spare the Port fans three more quarters of suffering.
I tried being positive. The season was dying before my eyes.

Every quarter break I was like,

Quarter Time: It's just a little dirty, it's still good, it's still good.
Half Time: It's just a little slimy, it's still good, it's still good.
Three Quarter Time: It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good.
Full Time: It's gone...

Would you prefer they mock you instead?

Someone down on confidence giving them a serve why does that do?

A true story, a guy I know of doing his job got a phone call from someone he deals with in his business. This person gave this guy a massive serve apparently. Once the phone went down, he opened the door on the 6th floor and jumped out.

Giving a serve may be self serving and make one feel better but it doesn’t take into account the state of mind of the other person and what they are going through. We have no right to loose our cool at anyone, getting angry at a loss is ones own problem not the problem of others.

Do I like losing no, do I like watching a club I love lose NO, but the sun comes up the next day, I get to see my kids and baby smile, I get to make a difference in the world I live, that’s the most important thing to me.

A true story, a guy I know of doing his job got a phone call from someone he deals with in his business. This person gave this guy a massive serve apparently. Once the phone went down, he opened the door on the 6th floor and jumped out.

Giving a serve may be self serving and make one feel better but it doesn’t take into account the state of mind of the other person and what they are going through. We have no right to loose our cool at anyone, getting angry at a loss is ones own problem not the problem of others.

Do I like losing no, do I like watching a club I love lose NO, but the sun comes up the next day, I get to see my kids and baby smile, I get to make a difference in the world I live, that’s the most important thing to me.
Of course everyone is going to react differently to a serve. And you’re correct, it was self-serving and nothing more. But let’s be real, these guys are AFL footballers, do you think they won’t hear ten times worse from 50,000 people over in Perth when they play there? Maybe it effects them so much they’ll decide not to touch the ball in their own half for the last quarter.

Of course everyone is going to react differently to a serve. And you’re correct, it was self-serving and nothing more. But let’s be real, these guys are AFL footballers, do you think they won’t hear ten times worse from 50,000 people over in Perth when they play there? Maybe it effects them so much they’ll decide not to touch the ball in their own half for the last quarter.
It's different when it's your own supporters. They are only going to do it when you've already failed at something and you're already feeling down.

This is a great post and applies to all dealings in life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back