Review Round 16, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

what a well structured win.

domination and execution the name of the game

lets hope Ah Chee is alright as with Dunkley and Payne

super happy with Ah Chees work tonight, came in a bit rusty but had some great impact.

McCluggage sublime, Neale awesome, Ashcroft one of his best games, Dunkley was just a beast

Ah chee was a concern in the first quarter but improved throughout the game.

Definitely worth giving him a couple of games.

My fifth vote went to McKenna, maybe not the fifth best in the side tonight but he has crept up on me in terms of what he offers us, and it's past time I found him some votes.

This is a great vote. Thought he was excellent.

Fantastic Win. As predicted, we spanked them. Midfield was sublime tonight. Oscar dominating in the ruck and Dunkley, Neale, Ashcroft, McCluggage just cruising it out of the middle. Defence was also magnificent! Lester was seriously great tonight. He killed Pickett and generated some great rebound moments. Lester was a running beast tonight. He has a massive tank and covered 15.4 km, only surpassed by Andrews with a game high 15.5 km. McKenna, Starcevich, Coleman and Andrews played brilliantly. All our defenders can intercept mark and all are great ball users. This is our BEST 22 by a country mile.

It will be hard to argue for the 3 tall forward line now IMO. I think tonight also shows why we should be bringing a runner as sub. Lohman would’ve been a handy sub tonight IMO. I think so used to the 3 key forward line the coaches are forgetting that we will still be able to function effectively with 1 + Rayner or Charlie playing a more key forward type role
Not sure the argument against 3 tall forwards is helped by the massive number of intercepts the Richmond defenders had.

A Mcstay type would have helped in that regard tonight

Best all round team performance in a long time. All players performed, even Fort when he come on with limited minutes.
Yep. Great to see Dev Robertson in the team and performing. Ah Chee is a lock too.

Lester is pretty good. always wondered why he was dropped when he's never really played a bad game.
He along with Dev, McCarthy, Ah Chee etc are the role players that are the difference between a Grand Final and going home week 1 or 2.

He needs to stay. Arguably our most consistent back half player now.

Ah Chee is best 22. He had a few bad matchups early tonight and standing under the fall of the ball isn’t his strength but I thought he was otherwise really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester is pretty good. always wondered why he was dropped when he's never really played a bad game.
He along with Dev, McCarthy, Ah Chee etc are the role players that are the difference between a Grand Final and going home week 1 or 2.

He needs to stay. Arguably our most consistent back half player now.
Really? Andrew’s, Starc, McKenna, Payne………

ZoBlitz you’re infringing my 1st amendment rights by only allowing me to vote for 5 players.

Petition to increase the vote to 23.

My wife’s Aunty is over from Jamaica, tonight is the first game she has ever seen. I tried to explain Joe to her earlier on, by the end of the game she mostly understood what I had been trying to say.

My explanation - Joe is an exceptionally good player but he doesn't actually like footy or playing footy.

It's a job, he earns great money so won't give it away.

Goes about it professionally, but isn't super focused, isn't emotionally destroyed with a loss or emotionally high with a win.

It's just footy. It's just a job.

Fantastic Win. As predicted, we spanked them. Midfield was sublime tonight. Oscar dominating in the ruck and Dunkley, Neale, Ashcroft, McCluggage just cruising it out of the middle. Defence was also magnificent! Lester was seriously great tonight. He killed Pickett and generated some great rebound moments. Lester was a running beast tonight. He has a massive tank and covered 15.4 km, only surpassed by Andrews with a game high 15.5 km. McKenna, Starcevich, Coleman and Andrews played brilliantly. All our defenders can intercept mark and all are great ball users. This is our BEST 22 by a country mile.

The Burglar was never going to pinch easy possies with Frog watching his every move

My biggest fear now is that Fagan brings Gunstem and Rich back for the finals

Fages got prickly and really went it to bat for them when queried about the positive impact after they've been omitted, but if being as clinical and objective as possible I honestly don't see any way back for them. I get that it's only a two game sample but our team defence already seems to have improved out of sight. Structurally we look so much better and it's almost certain the youth injected into the team will only get better with more game time. I really feel for Richy as it would really sting should we make a grand final after all these years and he not be there but sometimes those ruthless decisions just need to be made to go the next step.

Not sure the argument against 3 tall forwards is helped by the massive number of intercepts the Richmond defenders had.

A Mcstay type would have helped in that regard tonight

But the smaller forward line kept getting the ball back and setting up another inside 50. Which lead to goals.

Richmond are not the pies or port, but compare tonight's team against the way we have played against lower places teams with three talls.

Tonight far far ahead.

I don't mind a tall as the sub. Can see that it's an insurance policy when we feel we have a lot of not tall players we can shuffle as needed.

Fages got prickly and really went it to bat for them when queried about the positive impact after they've been omitted, but if being as clinical and objective as possible I honestly don't see any way back for them. I get that it's only a two game sample but our team defence already seems to have improved out of sight. Structurally we look so much better and it's almost certain the youth injected into the team will only get better with more game time. I really feel for Richy as it would really sting should we make a grand final after all these years and he not be there but sometimes those ruthless decisions just need to be made to go the next step.
Fagan’s body language and demeanour in the box was terrible tonight. He looked like he was watching his team lose by 81 points. Really stood out.

My biggest fear now is that Fagan brings Gunstem and Rich back for the finals
Barring injuries, he simply couldn’t. There is no one you would drop for either player.

Fagan’s body language and demeanour in the box was terrible tonight. He looked like he was watching his team lose by 81 points. Really stood out.

I feel like he's always been like that when coaching from the box. Doesn't really worry me. For his own sanity he should probably break it up and coach from the bench a bit because he seems to mellow out a lot more there. My only issue with our coaching this year has been team selection but right now it seems like they are picking the absolute best team available to win games, regardless of history and reputation.

Back