Review Round 17, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Same can be said for Richmond, look what they acheived in the end.
People were saying the same with Hardwick. Team bowed out early in the finals for a few years and I think may not of even made them and then bingo.
But what we do know with hardwick he did not keep to the same path.

We can still turn around this week with a win and front the suns with another and we are back on track.
How far does that track go is the question and that's the big one .
We can win every single game for the rest of the season but we are gonna run into a brick wall come finals our midfield is just not good enough.

Obviously Ashcroft is fairly crucial especially if we don't the capacity to bring someone in. I'm filthy we've signed JL till 24 but all we can do is hope he's been carrying something and we can regenerate him for a year or two.

Our forward set up is still ok especially if Hipwood can get a lot better in '23. Likewise defence is ok for the time being.

Maybe Lohman and Wilmott can really come on next year.

All's not lost provided we understand where we're at and take the right steps.
Totally agree with you regards,the signing of JL till 24,however let me brutally honest with the last part, at age 29 JL ,from the games I have seen, no longer has the skill set we need and require to succeed in the guts.His skill set may benefit another team but not us and is simply denying a younger player the opportunity of giving us exactly what we need.

Some of JL efforts this year,for me have been WTF moments.With the last 6 games, it is imperative to get someone else in there now, to see which player fits the bill, giving us much needed momentum leading into the finals. Now is the time not when the ball bounces in the first final as the midfield group need time to gel. Going forward, the trade period is going to be absolutely vital as this is the highest priority to address. In terms of a player now lets try starc or someone else. Sad to say JL is no longer the answer to greatest need.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you regards,the signing of JL till 24,however let me brutally honest with the last part, at age 29 JL ,from the games I have seen no longer has the skill set we need and require to succeed in the guts.His skill set may benefit another team but not us and is simply denying a younger player the opportunity of giving us exactly what we need.

Some of JL efforts this year,for me have been WTF moments.With the last 6 games, it is imperative to get someone else in there now, to see which player fits the bill, giving us much needed momentum leading into the finals. Now is the time not when the ball bounces in the first final as they need time to gel. Going forward, the trade period is going to be absolutely vital as this is the highest priority to address. In terms of a player now lets try starc.

After 2 days of my tantrum over losing that game and Fagan's soft take on the loss, I'm a bit more level headed now.

Regarding the bolded bit - Fagan won't change it. He's wedded to the 3 tall forward line and current midfield core for 2022. He will play the same crew all the way through and hoping like hell they hit the peak form which they somewhat had back in the middle of 2021.

Agree with you ceebee......as far as I'm concerned, we should not be expecting too much for the next few weeks.

With all the Covid cases we have/had, the players and coach will be feeling crap in some cases as they recover. Its not an automatic 7 day thing, doing marathons on the 8th. Fages only came out of isolatation on friday, coaching sunday. Bet he felt that drained tired feeling even when basically over it.

Give them all a break at least next 2 weeks. Let's be realist with our expectations.

I'm giving that a TU not because I agree with the entirety of it but there are some things in there that I agree with and I love the passion .

Fages pressers have worn thin as was raised a few weeks ago. He needs to read the room. The same mantra win or lose doesn't wash when we play like we had very little plan and don't care. We all know that's not the case but you could see how some supporters might think that.

One thing that niggles me a little . You sometimes see our players chatting , smiling with opponents after a goal is scored or during the game. I think Barassi and Hafey's head would explode. I know times have changed but it's a poor look.

Thank you, I also want to emphasise - I am being positive in my criticism too. I believe in Fages, I just think he is bound to the ‘culture first’ mandate that has gone far and everyone is playing it a bit safe ATM. In addition we are stale, we just need to shake it up.

I could also write a 5000 word essay on the incredible things he and the club have done.

In fages we trust, let’s just start to get real.

Agree with you ceebee......as far as I'm concerned, we should not be expecting too much for the next few weeks.

With all the Covid cases we have/had, the players and coach will be feeling crap in some cases as they recover. Its not an automatic 7 day thing, doing marathons on the 8th. Fages only came out of isolatation on friday, coaching sunday. Bet he felt that drained tired feeling even when basically over it.

Give them all a break at least next 2 weeks. Let's be realist with our expectations.

I don’t expect wins, but I do expect the side on the park so apply at least AFL pressure.

Your expectations change when you're in contention for a few years.

The covid era has been difficult for clubs , supporters ,anybody

Everyone's in the same boat. Letting off a little steam when things aren't going your way is fine. For the most part the criticism has been respectful enough.

Footy supporters have always been the same , all clubs , ours is more feral free than the majority.

So nice to see everyone coming out bagging the players and the coaches .

Hope you enjoy yourselves .

Hang on - so we aren’t allowed to put forward anything but blind positivity?

We haven’t been playing well for 8 weeks and aren’t meeting expectations, again.

Why can’t difficult conversations be had on a forum?

It’s not as if it’s blind bagging/bullying like you see on other forums, all I am seeing is a passionate/constructive conversation with a bunch of people who care about the club.

That's true . Having it now if I were an athlete with anything like the symptoms I know it would take time to get over it.

The frustrating thing about this virus is that the outcomes vary markedly from person to person.

We don't know what's going on internally in the club so we can only judge by what happens on the field.

We haven’t been playing well for 8 weeks and aren’t meeting expectations, again.

It’s not as if it’s blind bagging/bullying like you see on other forums, all I am seeing is a passionate/constructive conversation with a bunch of people who care about the club.
I'll go along with that.

Go and read through the posts on this thread .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same can be said for Richmond, look what they acheived in the end.
People were saying the same with Hardwick. Team bowed out early in the finals for a few years and I think may not of even made them and then bingo.
But what we do know with hardwick he did not keep to the same path.

We can still turn around this week with a win and front the suns with another and we are back on track.
How far does that track go is the question and that's the big one .

The main point is it's not always a continual progress to a flag. Cats 2006 is a good example. Perhaps Ashcroft will be our Selwood? Even our flag team came last in 1998 before rebounding.

There is some constructive criticism/ care for the club. There is also a lot of moronic unrealistic, so called supporters having a group pile on. Some you rarely see unless we struggling, or have had a bad loss it is pathetic. I really wonder why some even suggest they support the club as all they ever contribute is negative s**t. Do wonder why we went with Fagan with all the clearly much more astute coaching minds on this board, let alone the ones who could predict the future and only drafted future guns given the opportunity to take Canole’s job. We lost to Melbourne- hate to break it too some of you but they are f$n good. We then smashed the Bulldogs and then lost by 10 points with half our team out. Maybe a disappointing loss but there was a legitimate reason. Some of the crap on here is pure rubbish.

We can win every single game for the rest of the season but we are gonna run into a brick wall come finals our midfield is just not good enough.
Well yes , I can't see us going too far either, unless we suddenly start running both ways , and I mean running in attack as well.
I know it's not as important as running when we are defending , but our lack of run in attack so we can move the ball uncontestedly often leads to a turnover and then we are back to the other short comings.
some of our players really need to really switch on, as Size said , it was like a training session out their at times.( not his exact words)
We just gave them the park at times. That hopefully gets addressed.

There is some constructive criticism/ care for the club. There is also a lot of moronic unrealistic, so called supporters having a group pile on. Some you rarely see unless we struggling, or have had a bad loss it is pathetic. I really wonder why some even suggest they support the club as all they ever contribute is negative s**t. Do wonder why we went with Fagan with all the clearly much more astute coaching minds on this board, let alone the ones who could predict the future and only drafted future guns given the opportunity to take Canole’s job. We lost to Melbourne- hate to break it too some of you but they are f$n good. We then smashed the Bulldogs and then lost by 10 points with half our team out. Maybe a disappointing loss but there was a legitimate reason. Some of the crap on here is pure rubbish.
I've only noticed a couple of posters getting abit narky calling for Fagans head, but other than those posts most have beeen constructive ideas where they think we can improve. I tend to ignore the poor post pretty quickly but not the poster because even those posters have other great comments, ideas.

Anyway.
Sometimes I honestly believe I waste my time with all this , maybe just passionate, so maybe might be time for me to have a break .
Have fun..
See yous at the game.

The only issue I have with Fish putting to Fages about a lack of effort etc especially through the middle is it wasn’t done 10 rounds ago.
I generally listen to the club podcast and it often seems that Fish is unreactive to poor performances. Wonder if he has been given directive to stir the pot by AFL media.

Yes, Karen we'll turn the music down now don't call the cops, Karen.

I dunno, some ppl on forums get really angry when your opinion doesn't match theirs.

I generally listen to the club podcast and it often seems that Fish is unreactive to poor performances. Wonder if he has been given directive to stir the pot by AFL media.
He said two words . That no one who watched the match would disagree with.

Complete overreaction all round.

As if anyone outside the club ever reads what Fish says.

Or really cares much what's going on in Brisbane.

Well yes , I can't see us going too far either, unless we suddenly start running both ways , and I mean running in attack as well.
I know it's not as important as running when we are defending , but our lack of run in attack so we can move the ball uncontestedly often leads to a turnover and then we are back to the other short comings.
some of our players really need to really switch on, as Size said , it was like a training session out their at times.( not his exact words)
We just gave them the park at times. That hopefully gets addressed.
Agree, I don't like that we rarely seem to overlap run and handball, also you don't see much running and bouncing from us, that sort of play really breaks up any teams defensive structure... we can break down the lesser teams very well right now, but against the better sides we need more dare.

Richy mostly just does the run by get the handball receive and then bomb it long, I think Kiddy Coleman is one that does and hopefully he will become even better over the next few seasons, also why I would like James Madden in the side now, with more confidence he will start to use his elite pace, that is also one of Darcy Wilmot's strengths, would be a good addition eventually, Zorko fit and firing provides it.

Agree, I don't like that we rarely seem to overlap run and handball, also you don't see much running and bouncing from us, that sort of play really breaks up any teams defensive structure... we can break down the lesser teams very well right now, but against the better sides we need more dare.

Richy mostly just does the run by get the handball receive and then bomb it long, I think Kiddy Coleman is one that does and hopefully he will become even better over the next few seasons, also why I would like James Madden in the side now, with more confidence he will start to use his elite pace, that is also one of Darcy Wilmot's strengths, would be a good addition eventually, Zorko fit and firing provides it.
When Zorko was playing in the backline we were killing it.

Unfortunately we decided we needed him M/F . I think at this stage of his career that's past him body wise.

Back